First post- greetings from the American midwest!

dustygroover

Hey all,

Looking forward to discussions about music, old stereos, vinyl and cassettes and reel to reels, and life in general.

I was handed down bits of old stereos from my dad and his friends from the tender age of 7. I talked my mom into buying me a decent turntable in middle school and, with a cast-off receiver and headphones, I built my first usable system. In high school I got my first after-school job for the sole purpose of financing my first real stereo, a Pioneer amp (from the line immediately before the fluroscan models came out), a Kenwood tuner, a Yamaha turntable, and EPI speakers. That served in battle throughout my college years, surviving dorm abuse and, later, beer-soaked parties at various semi-private residences. Of all that gear only the amp and tuner survived the years, getting combined in various systems and finally getting filtered out by aging parts or upgrades. Today I have a satisfying mix of old and new- for 20 years now I've been enjoying old Celestion speakers and will likely take them to my grave- unless I can pass them down to someone who might enjoy them. I expect their butyl surrounds and metal domes to survive any future apocalypse. FLAC files really bring them to life.

I work in IT but my passions are music and photography. There is an area in the house that passes for a home studio and recordings exist, but may cause damage to sensitive ears, so they stay in the can. I've exhibited photos before and am eternally "working on a homepage" to share some of it. (quotes because, ha, intentions are not actions!)

I am married, am a dad, and am a friend to dogs, one in particular but in general they like me and I like them.

Thanks for reading and carry on!

Welcome to AK and thanks for the interesting introduction. You will have a ball here. There is a forum for photography and we have music lovers from all over the world who are extremely knowledgeable. Dig in and start posting.

Welcome to AK and thanks for the interesting introduction. You will have a ball here. There is a forum for photography and we have music lovers from all over the world who are extremely knowledgeable. Dig in and start posting.

Many thanks! Sounds fantastic- getting shovel ready right now.

Back
Top Bottom