First post! Help me upgrade

Well, the adjective was directed at the product and not any group of people. Brooklyn is part of New York City which is a melting pot of vast proportion. Makes us what we are, which is actually quite special.
A city of just one ethnicity would suck.

So the two most interesting tables I saw at the shop were:

Dual CS-508 for $225
Technics sldd22 for $275
Both prices Canadian
Any thoughts?

This is an interesting discussion.

I have owned a Technics SL-Q2. If it was in very good shape, it is a very good turntable.

The prices you are looking at show a high demand. I like to see that, but it negates any of the online stories you could read about getting a great turntable for $25. I think most of those are like Instagram.

You have a list of turntables. If they work (keep speed and look like they have been cared for) you can't go wrong.

I think you should buy on aesthetics.

This is an interesting discussion.

I have owned a Technics SL-Q2. If it was in very good shape, it is a very good turntable.

The prices you are looking at show a high demand. I like to see that, but it negates any of the online stories you could read about getting a great turntable for $25. I think most of those are like Instagram.

You have a list of turntables. If they work (keep speed and look like they have been cared for) you can't go wrong.

I think you should buy on aesthetics.

The sl-dd2 definitely caught my eye, but the price seems steep.

The sl-dd2 definitely caught my eye, but the price seems steep.

I understand your want to get the best deal. A turntable you can trust is worth twice the price of a questionable one. How long will you own the turntable against the price?

If you flip turntables or can refurbish turntables, that is different.

I understand your want to get the best deal. A turntable you can trust is worth twice the price of a questionable one. How long will you own the turntable against the price?

If you flip turntables or can refurbish turntables, that is different.

This is a “tide me over” table, until I do more research and find the exact, higher end, long term table. Probably in the spring

This is a “tide me over” table, until I do more research and find the exact, higher end, long term table. Probably in the spring

Is it a budget question that you are spending a solid amount of time researching these tables? You can look at the specs of a couple of these tables and be pleased to have them in your system.

Expensive tables are great, but the rest of your system has to ready to make them sound good

Is it a budget question that you are spending a solid amount of time researching these tables? You can look at the specs of a couple of these tables and be pleased to have them in your system.

Expensive tables are great, but the rest of your system has to ready to make them sound good

The overall plan is to get something... Decent. Better than the BD-2000, and LP-60 I currently have, but without spending over $300 Canadian. Just to use for the next few months, so I can properly enjoy my vinyl. Then while I use the new one... I can fix the BD-2000, and then do more research and shopping around until I'm ready to go big ($1000+) Canadian. While using the new one, I'll get an idea of what I like/don't like about it, and use the knowledge to buy the next one.

So I think I’m going to be choosing between the following:

Dual 604 for $295

Technics sldd2 for $310

Or if I’m lucky, there’s a dual 1219 on Craigslist for $225, but it’s a little out of the way and I may not be able to make it.

All prices in Canadian of course.

One I have a new working table, I can take apart and fix the bd2000.

If that 1219's in good shape, it's worth the extra miles and effort. Go get it! You might find you won't want to go back to your BD2000 after listening to the 1219 for a while :). I did the same thing while restoring my Thorens TD-160. My daily driver is now my Dual 1229. :D (and the Thorens found a new home).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom