First post! Help me upgrade

If that 1219's in good shape, it's worth the extra miles and effort. Go get it! You might find you won't want to go back to your BD2000 after listening to the 1219 for a while :). I did the same thing while restoring my Thorens TD-160. My daily driver is now my Dual 1229. :D (and the Thorens found a new home).

1219 might not work out, but I’m planning to check out a 510 and a 1229 this weekend.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to dual. Especially since there’s so many around, lots to choose from.

Locally on Craigslist there is...

- cs504
- cs505-1
- dt250
- cs514

After some research, I think my best choices are the 510 or 1229.

1229 all day long! :D. If you don't have an idler wheel TT, then you might find it fun to try one. For me, it's my favorite. The music really comes alive on the 1229. I also have a Dual 701 DD table, which is a real beauty and sounds amazing, but the 1229 beats it. My other tables are/have been Thorens belt drives (TD-160 and 145), newer Pro-Ject belt drives, Technics DD, and my Dual 701. Nothing in that list sounds as good as the 1229 (and that's using the same cartridge to test). They come close, but it's the dynamic quality that the 1229 delivers that sets it apart. Good luck with your hunt. Just make sure you have a listen before you buy an older 12XX. Make sure everything is working and it's quiet - you dont want another repair project :).

1229 all day long! :D. If you don't have an idler wheel TT, then you might find it fun to try one. For me, it's my favorite. The music really comes alive on the 1229. I also have a Dual 701 DD table, which is a real beauty and sounds amazing, but the 1229 beats it. My other tables are/have been Thorens belt drives (TD-160 and 145), newer Pro-Ject belt drives, Technics DD, and my Dual 701. Nothing in that list sounds as good as the 1229 (and that's using the same cartridge to test). They come close, but it's the dynamic quality that the 1229 delivers that sets it apart. Good luck with your hunt. Just make sure you have a listen before you buy an older 12XX. Make sure everything is working and it's quiet - you dont want another repair project :).

I’ve definitely heard great things about it. It’s listed as having a new stylus and cartridge, so that’s a start.

The 510 is listed as recently serviced, new motor, new cords, lubed up, and ready to go. Which is enticing cause I definitely don’t want another project. I want something to listen to while I work on the first project haha

I understand your want to get the best deal. A turntable you can trust is worth twice the price of a questionable one.

Truer words have never been spoken. Nothing worse than wanting to enjoy a few LP's at the end of a hard day and running into issues. My JVC TT-71 needed a recap a year or so ago. It was affecting performance quite badly until done. Now I've two quite nice systems and can cannibalise the secondary system to get the main going if need be.

Truer words have never been spoken. Nothing worse than wanting to enjoy a few LP's at the end of a hard day and running into issues. My JVC TT-71 needed a recap a year or so ago. It was affecting performance quite badly until done. Now I've two quite nice systems and can cannibalise the secondary system to get the main going if need be.

Ended up with this! After all my research, I decided for my price range(under $300 Canadian) that a Dual would be what I’d be most happy with.

There were like 15-20 duals on Craigslist to choose from, weeded through those and decided to go for a 510, a 1219, or a 1229.

The 1219 guy never replied.

The 1229 guy has a guy coming tomorrow to check it out.

The 510 guy was only 10 minutes away, and he had serviced it, replaced the motor, rca cables, cartridge, and stylus.

I went with the 510, cause I was more certain that it would function properly, and give me the least trouble. Especially since he had replaced the motor.

Now I can revisit my vinyl collection(I have over 200 albums, but never had a proper table). And while doing that, I can tinker with and fix my BD-2000 and BSR autochanger.

D3087ED9-0E25-468D-AF24-CD61BD892931.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom