First power cable - Audioquest!

Well ask anyone this: if a man heard his audio sound different over 400 hours and the only thing that changed in his gear is the power cord, what caused the difference?

If you still say that's a shot in the dark, then your motive is to purely deny the most reasonable conclusion that the cause was the cord. And to thread-crap.

Perhaps observe the forum rules.

Logic is the only motive that I have. I'm gonna go with the power cord answer. The only answer that possibly reasonable.

One easy way to know if the cable was the change in system that you heard is to put your old power cable back in it's place and then verify if you can hear the difference going back. It would validate or invalidate your hypothesis.

One easy way to know if the cable was the change in system that you heard is to put your old power cable back in it's place and then verify if you can hear the difference going back. It would validate or invalidate your hypothesis.

Well, this isn't always the case.

Twice I've been with people who were conducting a sighted interconnect comparison, where they were claiming to hear significant differences. But when they were called away, I swapped the cables. In both instances when they came back, they continued to hear the vast differences in exactly the same way as before. Both still strongly preferring the "same" cable as they had earlier, even though now it was the other cable.

Last edited:
Logic is the only motive that I have.

I don't get it.

The premise was the man heard his system for 400 hours and something about the sound changed positively. During the 400 hours, the only physical change to his system was the change of the power cord.

Logically, the most natural conclusion is that the change of the sound resulted from the change of the cord.

Whether the conclusion actually is correct is another matter.

Number 1 suspect is the PC. I only presented the possibility of another cause because it sure came to mind. If Dave and I were listening together and this subject came up it would likely be a fun and interesting finding over a cold one! Be better than Internet banter 4 sure.

Sure agreed that it's the listening together that would be the clearest way to test it. But that's also very time consuming etc. Internet banter is just so much easier.

We're supposed to believe than doubt on this forum. That's all.

Arr...car needs repairs, but this thread and others has me thinking of getting good power cables :)

Must crunch numbers again :D

Me wants an AP Sig, too :)

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

I spent quite a bit of time this weekend searching for PC and conditioners. I know I want the PC but need 7-8 of them, sometimes a conditioner can induce problems so I might not go that rout.

I have a lot of RFI around my house so I'm thinking of the braided type that cancels out RFI and I want them to look cool to but not break the bank.

Weighing the vast oppions keeps slowing me down.

Last edited:
427 you could try one on your amp first.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Well I have to do sets for the amps,

I have 2 mono bridged MC275 & MC501 mono blocks thats (4)

A D100 for DAC (1)

A C100 Preamp (1)

Martin Logan Sequel II, (2)

Marantz PMD 580, (1)

I think I would need at least the first 6..:yes:

hello all i'me sorry to ask but i see some of you have built your own power cable's.

I've finally got everything together to put my first diy power cable together and looking on the internet about connecting the screen to earth witch is supposed to take away any rfi an what have you and dump it to earth. this is where i'me a little confused. some diagrams from some sites say to connect it to the 3pin mains plug and others say if its to be used on a earthed digital component e.g cd player its best on the i.e.c connector at the component end. which way would you say would be best. if you could advice me from your experience it would be a great help.
thanks

hears what I've got

Attachments

• 2015_06_26_11_11_09_OneShot.jpg
    2015_06_26_11_11_09_OneShot.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2015_06_26_11_09_32_OneShot.jpg
    2015_06_26_11_09_32_OneShot.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 12
I always connect the shielding to the mains plug end.

Thanks for your reply I've been holding off putting it together till I have found a bit more information.
I think I will go with the mains plug end. I'll post a pic when I've done.
Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom