First R2R

Mattwizz3

Web-er-web user...
Hey guys,

Its been years now since I have posted on Audiokarma. So first of all -Hi again!

Thought I'd share this since R2R is new to me and its the first time in a while that I have indulged in my Audio hobby.

I picked up a National RS-755S from an antiques shop it had a tape in it already, so I decided to pick it up for a bit of fun.

1704092834826158075%253Faccount_id%253D0

Surprisingly it worked right off the bat. Needed a bit of cleaning including some electrical cleaner in the volume pots, but after that it seems everything is operational. I figured out the controls and how to record with it and have put a bit of music on the tape it came with.

I did do a recording at the faster speed, was very pleased with the results, but wanted to put more on the one side so went with the slower speed.. and yep.. it definitely sounds like a tape at the slower speed. I'm playing the lower quality recording in this pic and as you can see I was making up for lost detail in the tone control on the tape player, my Sansui is already quite "warm" so the lost detail in the recording wasn't great.

I'm looking at getting some new unused blank tapes, but just wondering if there is anything basic I can do to improve recording quality at the slower speed?

Really enjoying experiencing something new and R2R seems surprisingly easy to use. I think this particular player is about as basic as they come, but probably perfect for a beginner. Was awesome coming home from work today, hitting power on my amp, and one CLUNK from the heavy switch on the R2R and I had my tunes going.

Any info on my unit or pointers on how to get a decent recording is greatly appreciated.

Glad you are enjoying your new deck. I would clean the tape path. Many threads here on proper cleaning.

Hey guys,

Its been years now since I have posted on Audiokarma. So first of all -Hi again!

That's unacceptable ! We want you outta here !! :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::bigok:
Seriously now, That's a nice survivor deck. Don't expect too much from it as it's really only a lower end consumer deck. It does sound pretty good when in good running condition though. Like the others mentioned, give the tape path and pots a good clean and you should be good.
New old stock tape would be a better option if you can find some.
Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

Great deck, it brings about a bit of history, as National decks weren't marketed here in the USA, but Panasonic and Technics were.
From Museum of Magnetic Sound Recording:
"Panasonic was founded in 1918 by Konosuke Matsushita, first selling duplex lamp sockets. In 1927, it produced a bicycle lamp, the first product it marketed under the brand name National. It operated factories in Japan and other parts of Asia through the end of World War II, producing electrical components and appliances such as light fixtures, motors, and electric irons.
In post-war Japan, the company came under severe restrictions imposed on large Japanese companies by the Allies. Matsushita was in danger of removal as president, but was saved by a favorable petition signed by 15,000 employees.
After World War II, Panasonic regrouped and began to supply the post war boom in Japan with radios and appliances, as well as bicycles.
Matsushita's brother-in-law, Toshio Iue founded Sanyo as a subcontractor for components after WWII. Sanyo grew to become a competitor to Panasonic, but the rivalry settled down and Sanyo eventually became a subsidiary of Panasonic in December 2009.
Since 1954, Matsushita also gained a significant share holding in manufacturer JVC by forming an alliance. It still retains a 50% share today.
In 1961, Konosuke Matsushita traveled to the United States and met with American dealers. Panasonic began producing television sets for the U.S. market under the Panasonic brand name...
The company used the National trademark outside of North America during the 1950s through the 1970s. The trademark could not be used in the USA, probably because it was already in use by the National Radio Company who were operating in a closely related product area. The company debuted a hi-fidelity audio speaker in Japan in 1965 with the brand Technics. This line of high quality stereo components became worldwide favorites.
Matsushita retired in 1973. Chronic lung problems lead to his death from pneumonia on 27 April 1989, at the age of 94. He died with personal assets worth US$3 billion, and left a company with US $42 billion in revenue business."

So your deck is really a piece of Matsushita's legacy, involving not just National/Panasonic, but Technics, Sanyo, and JVC....pretty cool, and very much fun. Congrats!

Thanks guys,

... It does sound pretty good when in good running condition though. Like the others mentioned, give the tape path and pots a good clean and you should be good.
New old stock tape would be a better option if you can find some.
Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

Yeah I think this deck shouldnt be too bad, I found a nos Sony ULH 7" tape so I put that on to play with a bit more. so far it sounds pretty good. I have cleaned it up a bit but I think now it just needs the little felt pads replaced. I should probably replace the belts too but it seems to be working fine for now.
20180429_160344.jpg

Back
Top Bottom