First Time Fisher Owner

Westy56

A symphony of paradox
This is my entry ticket into the Fisher forum. Its nice to have all the Fisher things in one area.
I'm half way through with cleaning. It should look really nice when completed.

Does someone sell a basic power kit (caps,diodes,etc.) for the 500?

attachment.php

Steve

Attachments

• fisherr5c_t_run.jpg
    fisherr5c_t_run.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 3,772
Nice 500C! Search here and in the tube forum for info on the 500C, there's lots of resto threads out there. Here's my old 500C thread, I haven't even started the resto on it - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243023. I've heard that the metalbone kits on Ebay are pretty good for a basic restoration, or you can go in depth with premium parts from Jim McShane. The manuals for the 500C are available in the AK database - http://akdatabase.com/AKview/thumbnails.php?album=17&page=1.

Does it have all original tubes? Get all of them tested, get the restoration done and enjoy for the next 40 years!

Thanks, I'm just getting ready to connect my cd player to it. This is the trial run.

Steve

Jailtime, Ive had good luck with Jim. I did not know he had Fisher kits. Thanks

Look thru the old threads on 500 restorations here and on the tubes forums. There are enough of them for you to be able to make up 2 or 3 different lists depending on your budget and your taste in boutique caps, etc.

OR you can look in the Service manual, and note the values/voltages of all the caps and resistors that you want to replace then get on Mouser and or AES and make up your order.

Jim McShane and a couple of guys here make up kits for the 400/500/800's and they are quite good. Personally I like McShane's kits as they are better quality and his instructions are clearer for the electronic noob's.

Larry

EDIT: Jailtime beat me to it. Writing at the same time.

Larry

Did you fire it up on a variac? Looks like you did from the picture. How is the bias on the outputs? Check it from ground to pin 6 on each output tube, should be around -19V. My 500C has a weak bias supply, the 7591s were run hot at -15V bias. So it's out of commission until I can rebuild the power supply.

Pretty darn good entry ticket I'd say.

Mine was a 400 Receiver, no looking back since then.

Look out for more Fisher pieces.

Cheers

Pretty darn good entry ticket I'd say.

Thanks, I love the sound. I think I know why guitar players like those output tubes. :music: The blend circuit reminds me of the way FM sounded to me in the 70's.

Mine was a 400 Receiver, no looking back since then.

Look out for more Fisher pieces
Cheers

I have to find one of the brass face plate (ST ?) models. They have the nicest look of any Fisher product I've ever seen. Just beautiful.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom