First time you were blown away by a stereo?

I had a few similar systems from 1989-1999 that were my best to date from 40 years of audio collecting and sound sampling different qualify tube audio gear components:

1.) Pr McIntosh MC 30 (monos -recapped, w/ RCA 6L6GC Black Plates and Tele <> ECC82/83), PreAmp : Audio Research AR SP-3-A1 (w/ matching Red Tip Telefunken Diamond ECC83's), matched pair of 1957 Jensen G-610 Triax's in Jensen TP-200 corner horn bass ultra-flex cabs(1957), Garrard 301 w/ SME 3012, w/ Shure V 15 original. Just amazing ;-)

2.) Pr McIntosh MC 30 (monos -w/ RCA 6L6GC Black Pates), McIntosh C-20 PreAmp w/ matched Telefunken <> Diamond ECC83's (most were taken out of Fisher 500c's I purchased as parts units off ebay back in the 90's and matched them up myself), Pr Barzalay CornerHorn Cabinets with Oriental Woodwork features in the front -Loaded with a JBL 3-way systems (LE-14s. 175DLH's & 075), Thorens TD-124 w/SME 3009, Shure V 15 original. - bright and beautiful sound stage..."let it Rock!"

3.) Marantz Model 8 (SN #4) w/original Mullards EL-34's, pr Marantz Model One Audio Consolettes w/Stereo Adapter w/ Original Mullards, Pr Jensen TP-100 Tri-Plex Corner Horns( 3-way P15LL, RP-201, RP-302). Empire 698 TT w/Shure V15 . exceptionally warm..

I have owned and listened to all the McIntosh tube amps MC30's. MC40's, MC60's,MC75 monos and the stereo amps the MC225, MC240 and MC275's and the Mi-200's as well. Of all these great amplifiers to me the best sound reproduction is from the Mc30's and the Mc225 as they have the warmest clearest sound output...with the right speakers and preamp. For pre-amps I must have sampled and either recapped & re-tubed over 60+ different pre-amps and the best preamp to date has been the all original AR SP-3-A1 with Tele <> ECC83's. I had owned and sampled over 100+ TT and you all know which ones are great but there are many low priced TT out there with some + surprises.
If you have and listen to 78 RPM Records then there are a few TT made in Great Britain by Collaro from 1955-1964 production. These record changers were OEM'ed to Magnavox and installed in Magnavox consoles from this period. You can get one at very low cost pulled from Magnavox mono/stereo consoles like the" Magnavox Imperial Micromatic TT" which is the Collaro model S600. Probably the single best 78 record changer was put in the 1957-60 "High-Fidelity" consoles made by Magnavox.
Great Tubes and good Caps make a huge difference in the qualify of audio reproduction in your systems....There are audio purist that would say "keep it 100% original" but the old caps, resistors and electrolytic cans are 60+years old and about 40years past there useful lifespan so my mantra is "restore it to original" specs if you want to actually enjoy the units original design and audio reproduction.

Freshman year of college - '73/'74 - the then current roommate of the guy that would go on to be my future roommate for the next 3 years had a new system in his dorm room. As I recall, it was an AR turntable, Sherwood receiver, and some model of Infinity speaker that had Walsh tweeters. Yeah, it pretty much kicked my Electrophonic receiver and speakers with built-in 8-track recorder/player to the curb. But then, I paid for mine myself and this guy's daddy was a dentist and the system was just a gift and part of his college experience. It was awesome. I still listen to '70s-vintage Infinity speakers.

Around 1989-90 at Stereos Unlimited in Concord (might have been Walnut Creek) Ca. they had Martin Logan CLS’s powered by an Audio Research Classic 60 connected to to an Audio Research LS1 in direct mode thru a forgotten high end CD player...might have been Enlightened Audio Designs...it was breathtaking! Whatever jazz he was playing was in the room with all the cues and timbre of a live show only it was Iike recording studio perfection. I now own those Martin Logans and AR LS1...

Last edited:
Senior year of college, 1990. My roommate had Acoustat speakers, and I had an Adcom amp. The combo sounded like live music, and put my JBL L20T’s to shame.

Back
Top Bottom