1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

First-timer speaker refoam - Does size matter?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Jibe01, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Old Ears too

Old Ears too Active Member

Jibe01 - Glad to see you're getting things straightened out on these. Kind of like dealing with old cars, you can't really be sure what a previous owner may have done to them. The fiberboard gasket reminds me of the woofers on my Column II's. The kit I got for those did have new gaskets with it, but, alas, Orange County Speakers is no more now.
    These fellas have you on the right track now. Let us know how they turn out.

2. Jibe01

Jibe01 New Member

Thanks Old Ears. I haven't posted recently because I've been busy, but I did get the gaskets off ok with an X-acto. I'll upload more pics as I advance. I really appreciate all the great advice from everyone. I have the new capacitors sitting on my desk - next step is to recap the crossovers, then re-finish the walnut veneer. Just couldn't say no when I saw the 7's sitting at GW for $9.99.

3. Old Ears too

Old Ears too Active Member

How big are these speakers?
    I'm not familiar with them at all.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I couldn't pass on the auction for the 3008's I got, even though they were a lot more money. Hard to resist such good looking wood.

4. Jibe01

Jibe01 New Member

upload_2017-6-13_13-2-45.png

Here are the specs, including size The walnut veneer is in excellent shape on the sides, but the tops show some wear

5. Jibe01

Jibe01 New Member

Well, I finally got the midranges re-foamed. I did put the gasket on top of the foam as recommended. Thanks for the advice in getting this done correctly. There is a little bit of excess glue on the right side of the cone, but doesn't seem to affect the sound. I did recap one of the speakers and hooked them up to my Sansui 2000a receiver. They sound good, but both & friend & I could tell only a little improvement in sound from the recapped speaker over the unrecapped speaker. Thanks for all the advice on the re-foaming.

20170712_1.jpg

redk9258 likes this.