fleetfoxes

So my dad has a huge vinyl collection, I've been receiving a lot of LPs as gifts recently, I finally feel it is time for me to get a turntable. I know very BASIC things about turntables and have been shopping around. For a starter table I thought a Pro-Ject would be pretty good. Either an Essential III or a Debut Carbon. However I've heard the Debut Carbon has a hum problem for some people (But the cart seems pretty nice and the tonearm I've heard great things about) Plus I figure I'll be able to upgrade the platter, mat, cart, etc. as I learn more about this stuff. Does anyone have any experience with Pro-Jects? Or does anyone have any other TT suggestions? I would like to buy a new table, direct or belt drive is fine. I'd rather not have a built in preamp. I listen to a fairly wide range of music if that matters (Jazz, rap, pop, folk, metal, punk, experimental, etc.) I'm only 19 and just getting into this stuff so please forgive me for being a noob. Thanks for any help in advance! :)

So my dad has a huge vinyl collection, I've been receiving a lot of LPs as gifts recently, I finally feel it is time for me to get a turntable. I know very BASIC things about turntables and have been shopping around. For a starter table I thought a Pro-Ject would be pretty good. Either an Essential III or a Debut Carbon. However I've heard the Debut Carbon has a hum problem for some people (But the cart seems pretty nice and the tonearm I've heard great things about) Plus I figure I'll be able to upgrade the platter, mat, cart, etc. as I learn more about this stuff. Does anyone have any experience with Pro-Jects? Or does anyone have any other TT suggestions? I would like to buy a new table, direct or belt drive is fine. I'd rather not have a built in preamp. I listen to a fairly wide range of music if that matters (Jazz, rap, pop, folk, metal, punk, experimental, etc.) I'm only 19 and just getting into this stuff so please forgive me for being a noob. Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Go to a store in your home town that sells new turn table and listen to them in person.

Any defects in the turn tables will be evident to you in no time.

You can then pick one that is with in your budget. :music:

Welcome aboard ! Ask questions do not jump the gun and buy the first one you think you like . Research wait for responses to your questions. You will be amazed at the vast degrees of knowledge that folks here will provide you. What is your price range, what other components in your stereo do you have.. Enjoy and have fun

The best low price table with the best sound is the Pioneer PLX 500 and can be picked up from Zzounds for three hundred bones. There's allot of social hype going on about many starter tables that are failing in quality. If you buy a name or product that's popular your gonna get burned.....

Project Essential III should be a good table. I had the Essential II couple of years ago, and it's fine. Didn't had any problems.

Now I have the Pioneer PLX 1000. Its easier to use, the the VTF, and and changeable head shell makes it easier to swap carts. Swapping carts for a rookie can be a daunting task...for me it was until recently.

I haven't heard the Essential III, but I did like the Essential II in terms of sound quality. As Balifly mentioned, audition for yourself if at all possible to see if any model you're interested in will give you sound that you like. If you don't have local dealer support, making decisions can be much more difficult. I have never heard hum from a Pro-Ject turntable, but every Pro-Ject I have heard has been in a dealer showroom or it was in the home of a family member or friend who had purchased his Pro-Ject from a local dealer who set it up and demonstrated its performance prior to the 'table being taken home. Since Rega's entry-level Planar 1 had a slight price increase over the previous RP1, and now has the limitation of a pre-set, non-adjustable anti skate, a couple local dealers are finding more customers than ever preferring the Debut Carbon DC in that price range.

It is unfortunate that most turntables in the price range you're looking at are currently saddled with built-in phono stages. That said, I got very enjoyable sound using the built-in phono stages of two budget turntables, a Stanton STR8-80X and a Denon DP-300F, and I've also enjoyed a friend's Music Hall USB-1 using its built-in phono stage. If you're willing to compromise on having a built-in phono stage, the Audio Technica LP120-USB is an intriguing option, at least to me, due to its 78 rpm capability and the removable headshell which makes cartridge swapping so much easier and safer (the non-removable headshell and flying leads of the Pro-jects offer better sound quality, but it makes changing cartridges more difficult, and a broken wire or clip is a bigger hassle to repair). The AT also has adjustable feet for leveling the turntable, tonearm height adjustment, the ability to make digital files of your albums, and fun features like pitch control and being able to play records backwards (with suitable cartridge/stylus). The AT might be a first turntable you'd want to upgrade from sooner than the Pro-ject, but its features could make it a very worthwhile keeper as a 2nd 'table no matter what you move up to down the road. The review cited below (which you may already have read) offers opinions on a number of modestly-priced turntable options. Note that they also mention background hum with the Debut Carbon DC, another reason to audition before buying if at all possible.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Be patient and look for a used Technics direct drive SL series table. They are reliable, durable and easy to use. And sound much better than anything new you can get for similar prices.

I bought 2 very nice ones for $300 total.

If you change direction of your preference, and look for a used turntable. Of course there is more risk with buying used/vintage tables. Repart parts for vintage may be hard to find. I am assuming you are not familiar with changing and aligning cartridges. It can be tedious work. Could help if you know or can find an individual with experience to coach you on it. Removable cartridge headshells simplifies setup, as mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
The Pro-Jects are generally known to have design and quality control problems. If you get one that works well, you are happy, but if you get one of the lemons, you are very unhappy.

You could look at a U-Turn or some of less-expensive Japanese models. If you are going to get a Pro-Ject, I would look at the RPM 1.

Buy a cheap used vintage TT with a good stylus.
Listen and enjoy your records.
After a period of time you will know if and when you want to upgrade.
Sell your TT for the same you paid and you are on your way.

Buy a cheap used vintage TT with a good stylus.
Listen and enjoy your records.
After a period of time you will know if and when you want to upgrade.
Sell your TT for the same you paid and you are on your way.

I'd second this opinion as I did exactly what Pappylon said:

I've had a 1979 Sony PS-T3 turntable for a while and recently upgraded. It has a plasticky look, but performs much better than all of these models you listed in your post. Tables like it can be had for as low as $45 and will outlast the affordable decks of today.

BTW, welcome to AK.

Might take a look at the TEAC for a new table. Lots of folks here have had positive comments. and they sure look nice.

OP your luckier than most to have your farther giving you his albums from his collection. As for a table many a new AK member like you might not have a lot of money to spend has been lucky and found a decent Japanese made vintage table on Craigslist for a fraction of what they would of spent for a new entry level table made in China/Taiwan or a former Soviet East Block country with questionable performance/design/materials/quality control. Project has had a checkered record to say the least. The type of CL sellers to look for are retired, live in a good neighborhood, owned the table from new, might have the original box/packing material, accessories/manual and treated it like their baby and want it to go to a good home. More than a few new AK members have hit it out of the ball park finding a vintage table some only dream of owning. If you spot something let us know and we will advise you if it's a good choice. Your already smart enough to know not to get a table with USB and a built in phono preamp. The only entry level table I'd feel comfortable recommending is the UTurn Orbit due to being mfg in the USA where you can contact them if you need help/advice, they stand 100% behind their products providing first class customer support with parts or replacement with no hassle. Not a world beater but sounds good and wont harm your valuable records.

Might take a look at the TEAC for a new table. Lots of folks here have had positive comments. and they sure look nice.

In my mind, the experience of this Vinylengine member with TEAC azimuth issues puts it on my 'no-go' list: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=96295

To fleetfoxes, welcome to AK, and perhaps you could let us know where you are located ... we could take a look at your local craigslist and see if there are a couple good choices along the lines of what majick47 is suggesting. Also, what's the rest of the system you are planning to connect the turntable to?

Pro-Ject is great if you have a local dealer that sells them. I would not go the mail order route with them. The one I own is great, but bought local. I'm in the Atlanta area.

Project and other mfgs consistently offer very nice well performing tables once you hit a higher price point, the entry level is at best a roll of the dice and expectations are best to be kept low as seen with the entry level Projects and other brands. Trinhsman you weren't specific as to which Project you purchased.

Back
Top Bottom