First up - Altec Santiagos

I like the bottom wood frame idea, looks quite good and gives it some character. I would think trying to match the stain color will be the biggest challenge.

The foam grilles would be $150/pair, so not bad. A little more if they really dial in the original look.

UPDATE!

I sent two of the woofers down to Gordon and he was able to repair them. Here is what he had to say about them. (Gordon feel free to elaborate):

I think we caught a BIG break here.

Got the woofer apart- problem was voice coil damage. It had come loose from the cone, and had torn up pretty bad (scrapes, loose winding, and such). So, a new voice coil was going to be needed.

After checking through a number of options, I was getting worried that I was going to be able to find a suitable voice coil (it's not the same coil diameter as similar stuff like JBL, McCauley, and such), However, I determined that the voice coil for the TAD 1601/1603 (which I had one of, here) is almost an absolute exact match! Same voice coil winding height (same X-max), and the former only had to be cut down about 1/2" or so, to make it exactly dimensionally match the original. I've got that coil mounted in the original cone, with a new surround installed, and got it back in the frame, curing. Once that's done, I will put new lead wires and a new dust cap on it, and see how it does...
Got the second one done. It was more routine- a refoam, and a replacement of a frayed lead wire (it was shorter than the other one, and apparently was running out of slack as a result). I also replaced the dust cap so that it matches the first one (I removed the dust cap so I could inspect the inside of the voice coil- it looked good).

Gordon to the rescue and a big thanks to him.

He will be shipping those out to me shortly so I went ahead and jumped back into the cabinets to get to the crossovers etc. See attached photo of the Attenuator/Equalizer 30904 Network that was mentioned above by damacman. I pulled those two Callins red tops and the 6uF tested on spec while the 18uF was only a little high at 19.7. Time to change them anyway and it will be an easy effort.

Anyone want to suggest my options here? Just replace in kind?

Next I will get into the cossover.

1121171627_resized.jpg 1121171627a_resized.jpg 1121171616_resized.jpg

I have used 18uf Jantzen crosscaps in some Altec crossovers. They were a big improvement over the Callins.

You could probably use any of the cheaper caps from PE and be just fine

I have used 18uf Jantzen crosscaps in some Altec crossovers. They were a big improvement over the Callins.

You could probably use any of the cheaper caps from PE and be just fine

Agreed.

Which other speakers used the 30904 eq/attenuator/Zobel network in their original design?

GeeDeeEmm

Going to order Caps for both the crossovers and networks. Should I go ahead and replace the resistors while I am at it?
Looks like Great Plains Audio had good luck with results when they took out the network in favor of setting these up to biamp. Since I have two sets of these Santiagos, maybe I will do that on one of them......

Should I go ahead and replace the resistors while I am at it?
Those cement wire wound resistors are pretty much bulletproof, they are meant to handle a large amount of power flowing through it with it being undamaged by high heat. I normally check them against their rating before deciding to replace them.
If you’re uncomfortable with having older resistors, you might as well replace them being that you’ve got the access. There probably won’t be any performance differences, unless you’ve checked all the old resistors and find they’ve drifted well past their rated readings.

Got back on these today. Gordon fixed the two bad woofers and I was able to get the other taken care of with just new surrounds. Finished up the recap on the first speaker crossover and Network and put that speaker back together to give it a run A la carte. Sounds nice. As expected with a rolled off bottom and top end. Very smooth otherwise. Working on the 2nd speaker crossover tonight.

In putting the first one back together I wanted to ask you guys if I should do some simple damping of the horn, woofer frame or whatever? The top of the inside of the cabinet doesn't have insulation on it like the other walls do so I thin I will go ahead and add it.

Damn David!
You are on a speaker roll!

Dude, I have so many in the que that I just have not gotten to so I am trying to now. I really should be working on some electronics yet this winter but the weather was good this past week and those Altecs were kinda calling my name. The Concert Grands have been done for a while now sitting in the cold garage and now that the holidays are over I was able to bring them in for a spin without making the wife to upset.

damacman, they really do, and instruments in general as well. I have a couple passive RH labs subwoofers that I think I might add to them powered by my WOPL amp while keeping the Santiagos on the tubes with a mini dsp dividing things up and see what I get.

Dude, I have so many in the que that I just have not gotten to so I am trying to now. I really should be working on some electronics yet this winter but the weather was good this past week and those Altecs were kinda calling my name. The Concert Grands have been done for a while now sitting in the cold garage and now that the holidays are over I was able to bring them in for a spin without making the wife to upset.

damacman, they really do, and instruments in general as well. I have a couple passive RH labs subwoofers that I think I might add to them powered by my WOPL amp while keeping the Santiagos on the tubes with a mini dsp dividing things up and see what I get.
Nice to have a lineup waiting their turn. What's next?
It's been quiet here. I finished a set of AR-3a's in November for a client. I've got a physically mint pair of Maggie SMG's that need the wires replaced, but I've been procrastinating on this project. Magnepan has repair kits, but won't ship them with the adhesive in the winter months. So for now, they will wait until the warmer weather is here.
Something will come along, but for now, just enjoying the tunes!

Nice to have a lineup waiting their turn. What's next?
It's been quiet here. I finished a set of AR-3a's in November for a client. I've got a physically mint pair of Maggie SMG's that need the wires replaced, but I've been procrastinating on this project. Magnepan has repair kits, but won't ship them with the adhesive in the winter months. So for now, they will wait until the warmer weather is here.
Something will come along, but for now, just enjoying the tunes!

Well I still have the other 2 Santiagos. My AR9 cabinets need a complete overhaul, while the cabinets on my ADS L1590 are presentable, I would love to do something special with those, and I have some big Marantz Imperial 9 that need a rebuild. Take your pick! Some other misc others as well. And oh, need to finish replacing the ribbons on my Apogees.
I have the kits to rewire some Maggie's I have too but really am not motivated to do that whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom