First Vintage Turntable!

Very nice..
I too have a "soft spot," for Realistic...
My system being: STA-2000, Lab-500, Nova 7b speakers.... I do have a pair of Mach Ones, but have to admit they are not a good fit for my listening room/situation.
As for new stylus... I dealt with generic needles for years, finally bit the bullet and went for an HE needle and could not be happier.

Good luck with the new TT and welcome aboard!

Ben

Last edited:
Welcome, lab440 owner here. Good work so far, I like your spirit in jumping in to make the repairs. As for the cartridge, I believe the R1000 varients are all the same (Shure M75), the difference in them is what stylus it came with. If you want to upgrade, I'd try a Jico N75ED.

Welcome I am impressed by your willingness to trouble shoot this TT. I am very much the same but lack the ability to improvise when stock parts are not at hand.

Thanks guys - I love to tinker :)

Very nice..
I too have a "soft spot," for Realistic...
My system being: STA-200, Lab-500, Nova 7b speakers.... I do have a pair of Mach Ones, but have to admit they are not a good fit for my listening room/situation.
As for new stylus... I dealt with generic needles for years, finally bit the bullet and went for an HE needle and could not be happier.

Good luck with the new TT and welcome aboard!

Ben

Nice system :) From the little I've read so far, I think HE might be where I will end up as well. I can't justify the money for SAS for how rarely I get to have some downtime and listen to vinyl.

Just snagged this unique headshell & R1000EDT cartridge combo on ebay - was a little pricey, but I loved the look of it :) Once I decide on a nicer stylus to mate with it, this will become my main headshell and I'll keep the other for playing "iffy" records.

s-l1600 (1)13.jpg

Last edited:
Great intro thread. Your "can do" approach is refreshing. I'm sure your repairs would garner some interest in the TT forums. Welcome!

Thanks again guys! Found a blown tweeter on one of my towers, but tracked down a replacement from a bookshelf locally and replaced it. Any new vinyl I have sounds amazing - VERY happy with what I'm hearing thus far :)

I haven't got around to repairing the tone arm stand yet, but installed my new aluminum headshell w/ R1000EDT cart:
2019-03-22 21.27.04.jpg

...and had a couple custom Realistic cork slipmats made up (one will be going to my father for his birthday as incentive to get his system set up again :) ):
2019-03-22 16.28.56.jpg

Back
Top Bottom