Fish, check these babies out

MikE

Color Me Gone
Did you see Rod's finished "Edgar Horns"? Pretty much what you have going, no? His bass bins strike me as something akin to the Onken (Oris) cabinets. I'm curious, what was the listener position in Bruce's room in Lima? What is the distance in you're situation at home? I've been listening near-field for some time. My current arrangement puts me about 8' from the drivers. And I'm wondering if this lends itself more to a single-driver / rear, horn-loaded design.

BTW - I'll be attending a Hi-Efficiency speaker / SET Fest next weekend in Kentucky. TIC (Tom in Cincinnati) invited me to join him, I'll be bringing the Moth amp (among other goodies). I'll take pictures and report (hopefully) Saturday night, as well as Sunday on the two day event. This will be my first taste in alternative speaker designs in some years and the first exploration since aquiring the Moth s45 (SET).

MikE

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/HUG/messages/36542.html

Hi MikE...I did see that at AA...nice system he's got there! The bass bins are actually a front loaded horn design. As far as listener position for Bruce's system at Lima...It does seem to work better when you have some distance between you and the speakers...However...they still do alright in the nearfield (around 8ft)...but it is best if you have some room for them. The smaller horns that I have do good in the near-field...I'll be somewhere between 8-9ft from the drivers to my ears when seated.

I would think you should be fine for nearfield listening no matter what you chose...unless you want to get some big 'ol bass horns for the bottoms (instead of a vented, sealed or onken-like)...if you did have the bass horns on the bottom too...then you may want some more room...to be ideal...but man, they can sound good!

have fun at the meeting...

Back
Top Bottom