Fisher 400-C

7chord

I've also got this 400-C I got in 1979 along with a Rek-O-Kut turntable. I may have plugged it in back then, but I doubt it's seen any electron flow in close to 40 years...

It appears untouched. All the switches and controls work smoothly. It's missing the Loudness Contour button, 1 tube shield and 1 foot.

As of this time I have no plans involving it. I don't have a use for it, so no point restoring it at this time...

34905849341_1aa7194c87_z.jpg

34227177593_47bec7a64f_z.jpg

35037973315_9cb3493c62_z.jpg

34193916954_ca4b9969fe_z.jpg

Lovely example of an excellent preamp. Yours is the 400C-2 version with the split tone control pots.

I just dragged one of these home - also a C-2 version. It came with a pair of 20A amps and a series 40 tuner. Last used in the early 1990's. Not high on my restore list, but I may power them up and evaluate soon out of curiosity.

One of these days, I'll have enough disposable income (or a Sugar Momma!) to get something like this. KEE-RIST. Imagine running it with a pair of 1960 Magnavox Concert Grand Amps. (2 P-P 6v6 for Bass and 6 P-P-P 6V6 for mid's and hi's) and a 101-R Tuner with a MPX-100. And push a pair of K-HORN's with it all.

Lessee....2a each for the amps (4a) Plus an amp for the tuner(1a), and 2-1/2 for the 400. Almost 8 amps. Not too shabby. My 1000A runs about 3.5a by itself, as do the 800c's. Add ancillary gear R2R, and a turntable another 3 amps, and you're up to most refrigerators and freezers. So unplug the Freezer when ya run the gear:music:, and you can show the wife that it doesn't add anything to the bill. Just don't tell her about the freezer being unplugged and make sure you plug the freezer back in afterwards. :trebon:

no use for it?? what a shame.Apair of early fisher mono block tube amps in front of the 400c will lead one to audio bliss,never having to switch out components again..
Early Classic Fisher gears awesome to own and even better set up and listened to daily

hunter

Seal it up in a couple of vacuum seal bags and toss some dessicant bags in with it. They will keep it in it's current condition if the bag stays sealed.

I was thinking some regular heat cycling would keep it nice - it came out of a console that I never saw that lived in Sacramento - sort of a city sized plastic bag sealed up with dessicant packs most of the year.

As you must know, a fantastic preamp. You might think all those selector switches, input level pots, and tone circuits would muck up the sound, but no. Not at all. It truly is audio bliss with both my 20A's and 30A's. Nice to have the 20A Fisher badges too. Mine were missing those.

Does anyone know what the nomenclature of the yellow tag is for date? My 21R has a yellow inspection tag with "4.9.G" Is it April 9, 1966?

Back
Top Bottom