Fisher 400 grill paint?

Ziradog

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Now that my cabinet has been nicely re-veneered, the original gold metal grill on top needs attention. Since the bottom side show discoloration from the heat of the output tubes, I am assuming that I need to use a high temperature paint (grill paint, automobile engine paint, etc.). If I go with black, finding paint should not be a problem, but has anyone found a decent replacement for the original gold color? I don't want something that looks garish compared to the rest of the unit. Thanks for any suggestions,

The discoloration underside of the grill isn't so much the tubes heating up the paint, it's decades of dust burning off on the old paint. Even if you use VHT Hi-TEMP ENGINE PAINT, eventually the stains will come back. Krylon and Rustoleum both have a 1/2 decent gold colored paint. Very light coats at an angle, with each succeeding coat laid down 90* from the previous coat. This will give you better coats in the holes and filligree. Do the underside 1st. Let sit overnight before doing the top side.

Below is what I use. The grill on the case was made from stainless stock cut to fit. Zinsser spray primer as a 1st coat.

DSCN0099.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0097.JPG
    DSCN0097.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0098.JPG
    DSCN0098.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
That looks pretty good. Where did you get the steel grill stock, if I may ask?

Gadget; "This ain't your Father's 400!" :):) (my apologies to the Marketing Dept of Oldsmobile....Oh wait a minute...Olds became defunct in 2004).

Back
Top Bottom