1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

fisher 400 on the way

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by ricccardo, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

hi all i m new here i bought a fisher 400 that is on the way to my home. i m waiting.......
    i have a leak stereo 20 with a varislope stereo and a garrard 301 turntable i love my system and i love the music it give me.
    i m from la spezia italy i love beatles (my favorite band) the 60' music ,jazz, pearl jam ,nirvana and the other seattle sound.
    i m reading the thrade how to clean a tube amp and i want to thanks all the people that share the precious experience.
    i hope that everybody will help me to do the best things for my fisher 400
    thanks to all
    riccardo
    p.s. excuse me for my bad english

bolero likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Your english is perfectly fine! WELCOME!!

My suggestion is that you read as many Fisher receiver threads as possible, and don't limit yourself to the 400. Reading up on 500-C as well as 800-C restorations will add to your foundation of knowledge and that will certainly carry you through a 400 restoration with ease.

Good luck!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    ricccardo likes this.
  3. Rockyhill

Rockyhill No marigolds in the promised land Subscriber

ricccardo likes this.
  4. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to the Fisher forum and welcome to AK! Nice score. Help is here when you need it....

Don't worry about your english. We can understand you very well and we don't give grades on spelling, grammar or english here.

ricccardo likes this.
  5. bhamham

bhamham AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Fisher 400 is wonderful sounding receiver. You'll need a step-down transformer to operate it in Italy - but I bet you already know that!

Best of luck with it and welcome!

6. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

hi thanks for information bhamham i imaged about transformer need my answer is: there is a transformer 220v-115v advised by the forum?
    thanks to all for the wellcome

7. bhamham

bhamham AK Subscriber Subscriber

8. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

hello to all the fisher 400 has arrived but in the transposed disaster has happened: the cabinet is broken and all the central black buttons are destroyed as well as a knob and a potentiometer has the axis deviated as I can remedy the whole.
    thank you

9. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ricccardo, so bummed to hear about what happened to your 400. Post some pictures as soon as you can so everyone can help you assess the damage and what your next move should be.

10. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

Thanks tomorrow I ll take some pictures

11. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

This is the wooden chassis status

Attached Files:

12. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

This is the 400

Attached Files:

13. Tim D

Sorry for your shipping troubles. Looks like it can be easily salvaged. Some wood glue, work, some new knobs and correction to the bent post and you will be back to your starting point. The important part is that the faceplate and glass aren't damaged!

14. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

Thanks but where can I find the 4 slide switches ? To preserve the original can I buy some with a similar plastic and put it in the original?

15. Tim D

The slider switches are regularly available on ebay. In fact I think I see some posted now. Or alternatively you could become an AK subscriber and post a "wanted to buy" thread in the "Barter Town area of Audio Karma.

16. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

Thanks Tim the 800c slide switch are the same in the 400?

17. Tim D

I’m pretty sure they are the same but let’s get others to confirm.

18. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Slide Switches from the 500B, 800B, 500C, 800C, and 1800, plus some of the early Solid State units are the same as the 400. The case damage indicates to me that the glued joints made 50+ years ago, just let go. Glue and clamp for a couple days, and it'll be fine. Concur with Tim on the rest also.

Tim D likes this.
  19. ricccardo

ricccardo New Member

Thanks Larry and what kind of glue should I use?
    2 are of for glue 2 are become like dust

20. Tim D

Here's what I use in the USA for wood glue on my wood projects. Let's see what others recommend. Not sure if this is available in your market, but it is everywhere in the USA. The real trick is to clamp it in the correct shape and angle while it dries. This stuff comes in this waterproof type but also comes in a water soluble type and for me it works very well.

If your wood substrate is crumbling you might have to do some research on how to reinforce the bad substrate. Google will be your friend, but maybe adding water to the water soluble variety of this glue and soaking it into the particles might stabilize them.

Hope my words translate well for you. Not trying to use difficult words - it is just the subject of discussion that makes me use them.

Elmers wood glue.jpeg