Fisher 400 power plug polarty?

fdwrench

Hi,
I was playing a Frank Zappa record and noticed that there was a strange noise, besides Frank coming from the right channel. I messed with it for some time before I turned that ac plug around and the noise went away.
Is that normal or is there something wrong?
Ed

Why would anybody want to change from a 3 prong back to a 2? Makes no sense!!

Yeah, was wondering about that myself...certainly seems not only misdirected but downright dangerous. When we're playing around with our amps, I'd like to think that most of us are aware of the potential two-prong dangers. But we need to protect others: kids like to play with plugs, it may get reversed after vacuuming, can't see too well after too many beers, whatever.

There's a lot of talk out there that reversing the plug can minimize hum and since ya can't reverse a three-prong, well.....

Problem, in MY mind with turning the AC plug 180 degrees to eliminate noise is that it can put the switch, fuse or circuit breaker on the "wrong" side of the line

I determine which orientation gives me the lowest voltage on the chassis (and subsequently the lowest noise) and move things as needed to maintain modern orientation to the mains (keeping the 120 switched) and keeping all circuit protection devices on the "HOT" side, between the load and the switch

With the use of modern X1/Y2 safety caps on the line, this should be fine theoretically in and of itself, assuming the outlet is wired correctly, your breaker box is right etc

I also included a 3 wire cord on my first and only complete rebuild so far as it lowered the noise factor and chassis voltage even more

Not to mention the additional factor of being even "safer"

Marshall

Back
Top Bottom