Fisher 400 Receiver - Just Picked Up

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by jonboy55, Jun 22, 2018.

1. jonboy55

jonboy55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just picked up a Fisher 400 receiver.

Very high s/n 81130. Don't remember seeing a s/n that high.

Every tube is marked Fisher except for a 6AB4 (Westinghouse). Most of the tubes are German except the output tubes.

Found in an old barn.

I've done no cleaning on it yet. It's very dirty. Only part of the cabinet remaining is the bottom.

Of course missing the metal knob caps and one of the slide switches is broken (loudness/contour). Does anyone know a replacement source for the slide switch?

Attached are some photographs.

Thank you.

IMG_5506.JPG IMG_5504.JPG IMG_5503.JPG

GWhitney likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice find! A little dirty and a little rust but not bad at all. I don't have source for the switch off the bat, but others will likely jump in with it. Despite having all the tubes in it, I sure wouldn't power it up without a variac and/or a Dim Bulb Tester. Have a good look 'under the hood' and see if anything's obviously amiss, but I figure the electrolytics (particularly the cans) must be pretty well shot after being in a barn for maybe decades! I wouldn't chance the transformers without replacing these.

There are sources for the brass end caps on line, so that won't be a problem. Plenty of restore threads and info on the Fisher forum and the stickies that will help you with a restore if you want to do it yourself. Good luck with it--I really like the 400 receivers.

Dave

3. jonboy55

I've restored a number of Fisher items in the past so this shouldn't be a problem. I always see the end caps on ebay. I'll try to track down the replacement slide switch.

4. mrphilco

mrphilco AK Subscriber Subscriber

+1 nice find!

Some of the Fisher SS units use similar switches. My 400 had two broken slide switches when I bought it. I pulled two slide switches from a junk 175-T to replace them. The difference? The 175-T switches have wire wrap terminals in back, while the originals have solder lug terminals. From the front, they appear identical and no one will ever know the difference (unless they pull the bottom cover and look). :)

So if you have access to a late 1960s junk Fisher solid state receiver with slide switches, this will provide what you need.

5. jonboy55

Thanks for the hint Ron!

6. jonboy55

Thought I would add a photograph of the chassis bottom.

Also, the on/off switch will need to be repaired or replaced - not unusual for the Fisher receivers.

Looks like there was never any work done on the receiver.

IMG_5509.JPG

7. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Concur with Ron on the slide switches. One thing tho. Some of those units can have switches with the Maroon color to them vs. the Dark Brown. I might have a couple Jon on a 400-T carcass. I'll check when I get home Monday Morning.

8. audmod01

audmod01 Super Member

Nice find. These later versions have 4 FM IF stages instead of the 3 IF stages of the earlier versions, so it will work a little bit better in fringe areas. Looks like you have some good leads on replacement parts. Good luck!:)

Joe

9. mrphilco

Larry raises a good point that I had forgotten about regarding the color of the slide switches. In my case, my 400 had maroon switch handles; the 175-T junker I have also had maroon handles, so that is what I used. :)

10. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I checked the 400-T carcass. Not much left other than the boards, and faceplate. No slide switches. Sorry Jon.

Tim D likes this.
  11. mrphilco

Jon

What color are your slide switches?

If maroon, I *might* have a couple more in that 175-T junker...let me know and I will look...

Tim D likes this.