Fisher 400 tube rolling

pich

Experimenting with some different tubes in my 400 this morning. I replaced the Tele 12AX7 driver tubes with a pair of NEC 12AD7s. Hard to tell if the receiver sounds any different but still sounds fine.

Any thoughts if I would notice a bigger difference swapping the tone control tubes?

I also have a bunch of other AT7s and AU7s. Any advice on favorite brand, type, and rolling suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Bruce

Just use a strong matched pair of tubes in the phase inverter positions. No need for good vintage tubes there, they don't really impact the sound of the amplifier. You will notice a difference in the phono and tone control tubes. The Fisher receivers respond quite well to tube rolling.

I assume the tone control tubes are just behind the front panel. I use an external phono preamp so I'll experiment with those. Thanks for the advice.

Just use a strong matched pair of tubes in the phase inverter positions. No need for good vintage tubes there, they don't really impact the sound of the amplifier. You will notice a difference in the phono and tone control tubes. The Fisher receivers respond quite well to tube rolling.

PIs do make a difference in the sound on these, albeit not as profound as the upstream small signal bottles.

Still, I will not burn up really good old production in the PIs in these any more. You want a tough, rugged, but still good sounding tube there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I won't use new production. Right now, relatively tight matched Japanese Philips (Matsushita) or similar off-shore Raytheon production works well. Very good sound and very durable tubes for this application. I believe Matsushita may have made the OP's NEC, so he's on the the right track, generally speaking.

A 12AD7 might be overkill in a PI. Uber low noise and microphonics are not as critical there. That's a tube type better suited in the earlier stages, where its design strengths shine a little better. But if the price was right, who am I to argue?

Thanks for all the advice.

I put the original Telefunken smooth plates back in the phase inverter positions and listening to the NEC 12AD7 in the tone circuit. I have the following tubes and will try them in the tone circuit.

Fisher branded 12AX7 ribbed, made in W. Germany but not Telefunken (no <> on bottom).

Fisher branded 12AX7 ribbed, Telefunken.

EICO by Mullard 12AU7A.

Motorola (made in Great Britain \ Mullard?) 12AX7A

Not sure how matched the tubes are but each pair test strong with equal emission readings on my cheap Sencore tester.

So far I think the 12AD7s seem to have a little less bass then the Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates. My guess is that I'll end up sticking with the original Telefunkens but will have fun experimenting.

The 12AU7 has less gain and more current draw. I tried them and didn't notice much difference. I won't use them since I have no idea the what the impact is of the added current draw. Thanks for the warning.

Back
Top Bottom