Fisher 400 weird issue with aux input

HH-Bham

Brought home a Fisher 400 yesterday. Got it plugged in the right way (lowest chassis to ground voltage, which is 4.5V v. 109V the other way). Sounds great. SN 36xxx T.

I have two inputs connected: phono and tape record out from a Kenwood KR9600.

When the Kenwood is connected to Fisher Aux input something weird happens. If I have Kenwood playing, power but no volume in Fisher, all is well as long as Fisher input select is on Aux. If I turn Fisher input selector to any input besides Aux, the Kenwood cuts out (barely a signal in speakers and doesn't matter what input on Kenwood). Turn the Fisher selector back to aux and the Kenwood comes back on. I'm thinking that is not a good thing for the Kenwood.

If I have the Kenwood connected to the tape mono input of the Fisher, the problem does not occur. (So current solution is to use tape mono input.) I can change the input of the Fisher without any effect on the Kenwood.

I searched but couldn't find anything on this. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

All perfectly normal. The Fisher intentionally shorts the selector switch inputs that are not selected, so that if an un-selected source is active while listening to another selected source, the un-selected source cannot bleed through (in the faint background) to the selected source. Because your "source" is a receiver, the receiver gets shorted out when not selected by the Fisher as well.

The "tape mono" input is not a mono input. The input Tape Mon stands for Tape Monitor, and is a stereo input since there is a tape monitor input in both channels. These inputs are the best inputs to use for your purposes, as turning the tape monitor switch on and off does not short the Tape Monitor inputs when turned off. Therefore, your Kenwood will still play. However, note that in the 400 receiver, the Tape Monitor inputs are joined at the hip with the Aux input jacks. That is, with your Kenwood connected to the Tape Monitor inputs of the Fisher, you will note that the Kenwood will play through the Fisher whether the Tape Monitor switch is turned on or off IF the selector switch is turned to the Aux position. You can play it either way. As built therefore, you can use just one source through either the Aux input, OR the Tape monitor input -- but not both. If you use two separate sources into the Aux and Tape Monitor inputs at the same time, it is possible to hear both sources at once under the right conditions. If you search the Fisher site, you will find how to remove the rather famous (or infamous) Fisher bleed circuit, so that these two inputs can function as two separate and isolated inputs.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Last edited:
I hope this helps!

Totally. I'm very grateful for the time you took to explain this to me. Thanks, I can now enjoy listening in peace without worrying something might be wrong.

As for the tape for the "tape mon," I have failed that portion of Fisher 400 manual reading and comprehension. Thanks for getting me straight.

Back
Top Bottom