Fisher 400c vs Scott 130. Opinions please

Lucky Pierre

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings,

I had a bit of good fortune this week. To celebrate I am going to buy a new old preamp for my pair of Dynaco Mk IIIs. I am currently using a factory-wired PAT4. Speakers are Dynaco A-25.

I am considering a Fisher 400c or a Scott 130, or any other tube pre of this vintage and price range. I'd like a Marantz 7, but they are way out of my price range.

One caveat: I am only interested in unmodified equipment.

Will you share your opinions of these two preamps? Are there any other tube stereo preamp, late 50s - mid 60s that I should consider? Is an Eico HF85 a viable competitor? I have a Sherwood S-5000 integrated and S-3000 tuner.. Did Sherwood make a separate preamp of this vintage?

Thanks!

L_P

That is a tough choice between Fisher 400C, 400CX or 400CX2 and the Scott 130. You might also want to consider the Harman Kardon Citation I pre-amplifier, plus maybe look at McIntosh C20, C22 & such.

I have a 130 in very nice physical condition complete with wood case but it has some electrical issues. I’ve replaced most of the Pyramid caps. It operates well enough that I can say it is a great sounding preamp. I haven’t used it in years though but it is a project I have to pick up again sometime. They have that Scott sound to them also, no matter what amp I use it with.

While maybe not in the same league , a properly gone through PAS3 (X?)
is a great match for a pair of MKIIIs.
I'm not sure what that Scott is going for but knowing what they get for the Fishers, it's a lot less coin

Thanks everyone.

The CX-2 and the C20, C22 are out of my price range. I've considered the PAS and Eico, but I prefer a preamp that I can keep unmodified. So I am still trying to decide between the 400C and the 130.

I have a pair of vintage Sansui monoblocks and am using an updated and slightly modified Pas 3X. I call it the orange drop special. I realize you want unmodified but am amazed by mine. Bought it on BT a few years ago. I appreciate your thread and will follow to see what others say.

As noted, the Citation I is a killer preamp, as is its little brother, the Citation IV. One of the fancy bespoke Japanese tube preamps copied the C-IV phono section about 10-15 years ago.

If you go with a 400C, I don't know if I would recommend keeping it absolutely unmodified. dcgillespie has some tweaks to bring its performance more in line with the CX2 without overly modifying the operation and originality of the design.

I am curious why the PAS would need to be modified.
In fairness anything you mentioned is 40-60 years old.
All could probably deal with new PS caps.
All could have leaky coupling caps. All likely have drifted resistors, caps.....
If you can DYI its not too pricey.
I used an upgraded PS in my PAS. More because the hardware that held the caps in had broken.
The Marantz and the Mac are certainly worthy. You don't seem to want to break the bank. It's difficult (impossible is more accurate and I'm throwing out #s for sake of discussion) to put % on it. For sake of the discussion I'd guess you get 90% of the performance for 25-33% of the cost (working properly all).

I think the search might be over. Today I was offered an H. H. Scott LC-21. I haven't seen it yet, but my tech says it is in mint condition, brown face with a wood case. It has been fully restored with the original tubes.

It also is available for $400 less than my budget. This means I can continue building the Realistic tube mono setup at the same time!

I should have it in a few weeks. The picture below is for reference only. I'll post pics of mine when it arrives.

13369373421233549871.jpg

I think the search might be over. Today I was offered an H. H. Scott LC-21. I haven't seen it yet, but my tech says it is in mint condition, brown face with a wood case. It has been fully restored with the original tubes.

It also is available for $400 less than my budget. This means I can continue building the Realistic tube mono setup at the same time!

I should have it in a few weeks. The picture below is for reference only. I'll post pics of mine when it arrives.

View attachment 1169091

Nice catch!:thumbsup:

Well, I picked up a very nice LC21 this weekend. I had an interesting time finding a phone ground on the chassis. I ended up using one of the screws holding the face to the chassis. I think I might install a real grounding screw on the back of the chassis.

I also have to either fix the on/off vol control pot or buy a new one. The on/off doesn't work (I have to use a power strip to turn on), and it definitely favors the left channel. Other than that it sounds wonderful!

My 355 doesn't have a phono ground, I loosened a screw and shoved one tip of the spade under it. Works.

On/off - likely your unit has a replacement volume pot, the original power switch/volume pot has been unavailable for years.

Back
Top Bottom