Fisher 440 receiver?

Cobaltturbo

With the unfortunate passing of my Father-in-law a week ago i find I am in possession of a Mint vintage Fisher 440 receiver he owned since new. I can't find any info on this model and I know it worked a few years back but has not been turned on in quite some time. Are there any precautions I should take before powering it up? Is there a value to this model. I always remember the early Fisher Equipment being desirable back in the 70's but I haven't seen or heard anything about these since.

Thanks.

If it is a 440T it is transistor.
BTW I have a 440T that I like.
Does yours have the wood case?
Steve

No mention of a T just says 440 on the upper right hand side and it does have a wooden case. I have not looked too closely at it yet.

Look at This.......

Howdy, Cobaltturbo........ with just a quickie search, I found this archived AK post............take a look, and see what it tells you.......

If this receiver DOES have tubes, you DO NOT want to just plug it in........find out ,let us know, someone will assist you....be patient waiting for a reply....it'll be worth it....

Basically, Yes, this unit has value.....but not if it's FRIED!!!!!

Get back to us.....here's the link... OK, I couldn't get it to work........google Fisher 400.......and shop around......gotta go to work, myself.....willhowl

P.S. OK, steve gibson posted this, so you can search his posts here at AK, and find somrthing you can use.............

No mention of a T just says 440 on the upper right hand side and it does have a wooden case. I have not looked too closely at it yet.

Look at the label on the back for the complete model #. My 450T only says 450 on the front, but it's a 450T on the back label.

Howdy, Cobaltturbo........ with just a quickie search, I found this archived AK post............take a look, and see what it tells you.......

If this receiver DOES have tubes, you DO NOT want to just plug it in........find out ,let us know, someone will assist you....be patient waiting for a reply....it'll be worth it....

Basically, Yes, this unit has value.....but not if it's FRIED!!!!!

Get back to us.....here's the link... OK, I couldn't get it to work........google Fisher 400.......and shop around......gotta go to work, myself.....willhowl

P.S. OK, steve gibson posted this, so you can search his posts here at AK, and find somrthing you can use.............

Look at the label on the back for the complete model #. My 450T only says 450 on the front, but it's a 450T on the back label.

I will do a search as you said. I only came up with 450T threads first time but the name should help. I never turn anything on until I check it out first. Figured someone here would know.

Currently the unit is still at my Mother-in-laws house in a built in. I will be checking it out this weekend.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know once I find out more.

Update. I found this picture in my search. Borrowed it for the purposes of Identification.

This is the exact same unit and from what I can tell is in identical condition. I will let you know what the back says when i can take a closer look.

Attachments

• Fisher_440_Sute.jpg
    Fisher_440_Sute.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
FISHER Didn't normally add the Letter on the front. I have a 500 TX. It just says 500 on the Front. but on back it says 500TX. 1st Gen Solid State for FISHER. Once running up to snuff, it's good stuff. Very tube like in presentation. And some of the lesser known Model #'s will be hard to get manuals for.

Larry

The unit ends up being a 440 T according to the back panel.

The faceplate is identical to the one in the picture but the cabinet is different. the perforated plate runs open to the back and has round holes. All appears to be in good condition.

Now since it is not tube can I just power it up.

The unit ends up being a 440 T according to the back panel.

The faceplate is identical to the one in the picture but the cabinet is different. the perforated plate runs open to the back and has round holes. All appears to be in good condition.

The cabinet on my 450T has the same perf plate design that you described. EDIT: Looked at it yesterday and see that it has square holes.

I found two folded squares of cardboard from a Marlboro box stuck between the bottom of the metal case and the wood cabinet to shim up the front so it sat evenly in the front of the cabinet. Low tech, but it works. :thmbsp:

Now since it is not tube can I just power it up.

I think the point was that a tube unit is way more valuable than SS, thus, the caution. I'd still make sure there are no obvious problems... loose parts, burned areas, debris. A dimbulb tester would be a reasonable precaution.:yes:

Last edited:
If it hasn't been run in say the last 6 months, then DIM BULB IT to check for smoke, shorts, sparks, etc. Put on a 60 W bulb for 1/2 hour, then 100W bulb for 1/2 hour. That should bring up the caps enough that they won't blow when you hit it with wall voltage the 1st time. But I would seriuously consider re-capping it at the 1st opportunity. With that series it's not that hard, and most all of them are on boards too. My 500TX took about 2 hours to do, but I've done a few too.

Larry

I bet that thing sounds sweet, and a lot better than the later Fisher SS units. Is this late '60's? The grillwork on the wood case looks too-old-fashioned to be early '70's. I like the warmth and musicality of those earlier SS receivers.

If it hasn't been run in say the last 6 months, then DIM BULB IT to check for smoke, shorts, sparks, etc. Put on a 60 W bulb for 1/2 hour, then 100W bulb for 1/2 hour. That should bring up the caps enough that they won't blow when you hit it with wall voltage the 1st time. But I would seriuously consider re-capping it at the 1st opportunity. With that series it's not that hard, and most all of them are on boards too. My 500TX took about 2 hours to do, but I've done a few too.

Larry

Thanks, Larry i will do that. Are there upgraded caps that you would recommend. I have built a few Dynaco & Hafler amps over the years so i am sure it shouldn't be too difficult.

I bet that thing sounds sweet, and a lot better than the later Fisher SS units. Is this late '60's? The grillwork on the wood case looks too-old-fashioned to be early '70's. I like the warmth and musicality of those earlier SS receivers.

I will check production date but I am pretty sure it is a 60's unit so very early SS unit.

IIRC the 440T was built in the time frame of 1966-67 or so. It's very similar to my 500TX which was 1968-71.

As for caps, redo the whole power supply 1st, then the pre-amp bd, and the amplifier. After that there should only be the tone control board and the tuner. Leave the tuner boards alone if at all possible. About 25-30 or so total. I just today finished off doing my 500TX (including the poly's and 'lytics about 40, but i did them in 2 stages) but my 500 has the autoscan board and a couple other boards your's doesn't. I replaced the tantalum caps with either lytics or poly's. I'll post pics in another thread.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom