1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Fisher 494-R Turnbable

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by dubydubydo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. dubydubydo

dubydubydo New Member

Greetings,

I have a Fisher 494-R console with an integrated BSR automatic turntable.

I had to replace the cartridge on the turntable and splice a new lead on the ground wire for the left channel to eliminate some serious hum and restore stereo sound.

Also, the auto feature seems to have stopped working recently. The tonearm will not cue to the record from the home position. The arm raises, waits, drops back down and the table turns itself off. However, it will cue back to the the start of the record when reaching the end of a side.

I'm wondering whether someone can identify the model number for the turntable. I would like to replace its on/off switch, which snapped off years ago, and need to figure out a compatible part and would also like to take a look at the owners manual for the turntable. Despite being integrated into the console, there is very little information regarding the use/specs of the turntable in the owners manual I have for the console.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

On/Off Switches between various BSR's of the same era are pretty much the same. As far as the tonearm operation, you'll have to dis-assemble it and clean out all the old hardened grease and relube it. This is a common complaint with most all old turntables. The closest BSR model I could find to the one in the R-494 (1969 Royal Electra) is the BSR 610. It's listed in the BSR library section on www.vinylengine.com Registration is free.

3. dubydubydo

dubydubydo New Member

Thanks for the advice. I've been browsing around the VinylEngine site for some time, but didn't find anything exactly matching the console table. Is there a reliable source of parts for these or more of a scavenger hunt at flea markets/thrift stores?

Eventually I'll work up the gumption to remove the platter and get to degreasing to restore the auto function. It's not a feature I'm really inclined to use anyway, except for maybe a stack of thrift store 45s.

For now I'll be satisfied just to spin a few LPs. Cheers!

4. larryderouin

It's more of a find a parts unit and salvage the parts. Just getting underneath the platter is only part of it. You have to dis-assemble underneath, (take lots of pictures) and de-grease each and every part, then re-assemble it with minimal grease/oil. Good luck.

Wash the inside rim of the platter with HOT WATER and DAWN with a green nylon scrubbie. RINSE with HOT WATER AND Dry with clean paper towels. Do not touch inner surface with bare fingers. Body oils will cause slippage. Remove the idler wheel and clean the rubber edge the same way. Hold it by the shaft bushing with a pair of pliers, and clean the same as the platter inner surface. When dry, install on unit and wipe around edge with 91% isopropyl alcohol. A drop of sewing machine oil on the idler wheel shaft is sufficient.

5. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

i've honestly never had need to replace much in a record changer. At most it needs new bearing balls, and that usually only happens when you drop the originals and lose them.

6. larryderouin

Those BSR's switch handles are plastic and fairly weak as it is. Increase the tension in the linkages due to old grease, corrosion and the like, and the handles break off under the cover. Mine did the same thing even after I cleaned it. Luckily I had a parts unit handy, tore the FISHER down again and re-cleaned and relubed, and did some linkage adjustments operating the linkages at the metal parts underneath, until it was free. Then operated on the plastic handles. When you get the new handles on, be very careful and watch how you move them. Don't jerk them or slam them.

Please register to disable this ad.