Fisher 500-C/MPX-65 consult needed for 19KHz amp bias

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by chazix, Oct 31, 2017.

1. chazix

chazix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hoping that thread title whets the interest of some of the real wizards...

Fisher 500-C with MPX-65 stereo decoder is in (putatively) just for alignment. S/M here:

https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?fisher/fisher_500-c_service_10001-19999_en.pdf

Unit is in pretty good shape and has tuned up pretty nicely save for one thing: Stereo sound quality goes to hell at high-ish (but well within normal range) levels of baseband modulation.

It's clear that at least one aspect of the problem is that the 19KHz amp (half of V100, a 12AX7) is going into hard cutoff when baseband modulation hits peaks. Thus, the drive to the 38KHz section gets weak to non-existent, and decoding stops, during those peaks.

The bias for the 19KHz amp seems to be designed to vary in response to some high-pass-filtered component of the the input to the MPX section - reference the neighborhood of the semiconductor rectifier, CR100. But I'm not sure what the designers intended here. Why should the bias vary with input signal at all - and what particular component of the input is supposed to determine the bias?

Thanks for any insight!

chazix

2. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

3. chazix

chazix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks, good advice. As it turned out, I didn't even have to post, just look around. The circuitry I was uncertain about acts as a noise gate, disabling the 19KHz amp if there's too much above-band content in the MPX input. This was described, and a modification suggested, here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ers-and-receivers.708033/page-4#post-10535956

The modification initially struck me as being a bit radical, but I tried it as described, and I liked the results. Thanks and a tip of the hat to @dcgillespie !

chazix

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Cool. I figured Dave would probably have known the answer.