Fisher 500B - We like?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by x3workshop, May 26, 2018.

1. x3workshop

x3workshop AK Subscriber Subscriber

How does the 500B rate amongst the cognoscenti? I just picked one up for little money and was wondering what the rep was. 7591A's are a good thing. What else should I consider?

If I keep it, it will be the only 'receiver' that I own. Not sure it will keep up with my other gear though.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

It’s in the top most desired list of vintage tube gear.

You want a full recap and install an IBAM.

A full set of new multi-cap cans is available at about $180. IBAM is custom work.

A good set of tubes will cost too but all worth the investment.

3. mrphilco

mrphilco AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like mine, although I have yet to restore it. (No, I am not using it in its as-is condition!) I did try it out when I first bought it and it is working for the most part, but the multiplex decoder isn't. I'll get around to fixing it up eventually.

4. rufleruf

rufleruf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice sounding receiver. Worth the effort. If it needs any parts let me know. I have a parts one.

5. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very good receiver and quite good sound. Well built and well worth cost and effort to restore.

6. x3workshop

Not surprised by the positive comments. The OPTs are substantial.

7. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Got one in the queue. I’ll be working on it later this year. Love my Fisher KX-100 integrated amp. Working on the matching tuner now. (A Fisher KM-60 tube tuner. )

8. Rockyhill

Rockyhill No marigolds in the promised land Subscriber

I don’t know if I’m a “cognoscenti”. However I restored my 500B per forum stickies, including IBAM, and it performs better than anticipated. If you do the same I predict you’ll be happy with it.

9. ZR9B

ZR9B AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have one waiting to go to the repair man....I can't wait ...they look great!

10. x3workshop

Not sure I'll hang on to it, though I'm tempted. Too much gear already.

11. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

You can find plenty of people to take it off your hands if you don't want it.

Oh and one drawback to the 500B if it matters to you - no headphone jack.

12. Sam08861

Sam08861 Active Member

I'm in a similar situation as the 500b is the only receiver I have, the rest are all tube separates in a console.

For me, it does everything I need and seems to be as good or better than the rest of my components. Improvements to the sources (turntable, rtr) and output (speakers) seem to give the most sonic benefits at this point for me. I am however wanting to try out something like a luxman r-117, if I can find one, to compare it to the Fisher.

Compared to the 6v6gt tube based console, the Fisher sounds way less 'tubey' and is not nearly as warm. Seems to be a middle ground between the very warm tube gear and solid state. Given that it happens to be not tube rectified and so, technically a hybrid.

The other thing I would say is that it's a workhorse. I play this unit sometimes 12-14 hours a day, every day.

13. x3workshop

When I was a kid we had a Fisher receiver that was running some EV Aristocrats. A TA 600. I always liked it and it became my receiver in my teens. Loved it.

I unfortunately have no room for the 500b and so it is now the property of another AKer who will restore it to its former glory and complete his Fisher collection with it.

Sam08861 likes this.