Fisher 500C

I picked up two 500c that need some TLC. One is in working condition but the tuning string is broken and the other is not working, though I checked the OPT and they are still good. My question to Chad is what did you use to clean your 400 to look like that? My 500c are pretty grimy and I'm not sure what to use to clean the crud off of the metal surfaces without taking out the lettering. Also is there a list of parts/caps/recifier/resistors that I need to replace.

Thanks!

I second NOS suggestion: the chassis should NOT be in the wood cabinet for shipping to avoid ruining the cabinet when the package is handled roughly. The 7591 output tubes should be marked for the position/socket they are in, removed, and packed in their own packing for transit. The chassis should be wrapped completely in bubble wrap (the large bubble wrap and NO peanuts), then a box cut and fitted snugly to this bundle, then wrapped in another layer or two or three of bubble wrap, then placed in another box (double boxing) such that there is no movement of the inner box. This packing method should work 9 out of 10 times so the 500 is not damaged during transit (think dropped from 3-4 feet onto concrete, maybe dropped 2-3 times depending on how much "fun" the shipping gorillas decide to have with your vintage 500). Pay extra for the additional packing, you will be glad you did.

Fisher Doc has restoration info on the 400, 500, and 800. You can buy just the info or the info with parts. The info is a step-by-step procedure to rebuild these receivers so that they sound great and reliable. There are also tips on: safety (lethal voltages are stored - up to 400 volts), cleaning, tools, soldering, how to adjust various pots, FM de-emphasis, AM/FM rebuild (there are a couple of components in the FM section that fail causing problems), re-stringing, etc., etc. The Doc is busy so be patient, but follow-up your email if you do not hear from him.

I bought my 400 for a headphone amp, but hooking-up a pair of Klipsch Forte I speakers was awesome, the turntable section is superb, even CD's sound pretty good.

Enjoy :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom