Fisher 500T Physical Dimensions

N9JCQ

Can any of you Fisher 500T owners give me the physical dimensions (height,Width, depth) of your receiver. I am going to be picking one up in the near future and I am trying to find a home for it in the house here. Thanks!

And the one you're getting has the wood case..not sure if the dimensions reflect that, but they probably do. I'll try to dig it out tonight as I'm back in town, then we can work out a meeting time. We could do it like spies...I'll walk across the State Street Bridge between us at 6pm and you can pass me in the middle with an empty box. I'll bump into you, drop the receiver, then pick up your box...just kidding!

It's not huge as far as vintage receivers go. A bit smaller than the tubed ones that preceded it. I don't think you'll have a problem fitting it in. I'm thinking it's smaller than the Sansui 8 that's sitting in front of me as I type.

John No hurry at all, trust me... When it works for you, it will likely work for me... I am just calculating how to haul that beast home on the Metra....
I figure I can snag one of those give-away canvas bags that are handed out at the DMA or CADM and use that.
LOL I like the idea of a covert hand off on the Michigan Ave Bridge.. LOL we'll likely attract the attention of one of Chicago's finest riding a Segway.. LOL I want that gig too, Riding a Segway and carrying a gun...

John No hurry at all, trust me... When it works for you, it will likely work for me... I am just calculating how to haul that beast home on the Metra....
I figure I can snag one of those give-away canvas bags that are handed out at the DMA or CADM and use that.
LOL I like the idea of a covert hand off on the Michigan Ave Bridge.. LOL we'll likely attract the attention of one of Chicago's finest riding a Segway.. LOL I want that gig too, Riding a Segway and carrying a gun...

If they chase you on a Segway there's a top-secret way to defeat their wheeled-technology. Go up some stairs.

Later this week will work, or anytime next week.

fisher.jpg

The dial lights are out...but otherwise the 500t is quite the looker.

There was also a 500tx, with the tune-o-matic tuner. I'm not sure if the dimensions of the two were the same. The tx had a silver/black face and was a good looking receiver but I think the regular "t" looks more unique. The tune-o-matic thing actually works, though. I have a smaller fisher receiver that has it...it's like 4 separate little tuning dials that allows for an early form of presets.

I almost bought a 500TX recently. Very intricate tuning. With the wood cabinet, that 500T is gorgeous. Just like my dad's unit back in 1967.

I almost bought a 500TX recently. Very intricate tuning. With the wood cabinet, that 500T is gorgeous. Just like my dad's unit back in 1967.

I was hoping it was the right one, and not the 500tx. I'll pm you about our secret drop off.

Not dusted...:no:

500T and 500TX. Slightly different style cabinets.

Attachments

• P1000152 (Medium).JPG
    P1000152 (Medium).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 329
Not dusted...:no:

500T and 500TX. Slightly different style cabinets.

Nice pair!...looks like they're the same size.

I had the cabinet to the 500T about a year before I had the receiver. It was sort of a Cinderella slipper story...I had no idea what it belonged to, except that it looked like a Fisher cabinet. Chanced upon a 500t at an antique mall (same one I just found a Philips 212 turntable at) and took a chance....and it was an exact fit! I wonder if this cabinet fits any other fisher gear?

I had a 700t as well, but it was dead to the world. Sigh..that was even better looking.

The innards of the 500T are also interesting. There is, of course, the amazingly solid build quality, but also the small-signal transistors aren't soldered in - they plug in, like little 3-pin tubes. Sort of a bit of audio history, when the transition from tubes to transistors was underway.

BTW, if you want to do things with the circuitry, such as set bias and power amp centering voltage, a good place for a service manual is stereomanuals.com. No, I have no connection to them, other than the fact that they sent me a complete manual, nicely bound, too. That compares with another service manual outfit that sent me a half-assed photocopy that didn't include the fold outs - so the section on the power amp boards was completely missing.

Thanks Shockley. I'll order the manual tonight. By the way, I have some early 60s Zenith Transoceanic shortwave portables. The transistors are not soldered in either. They plug in like tubes.

You know, I have a 500t sitting on a shelf waiting for a re-cap - one of the channels is real weak and I'm hoping the caps will take care of that. No cabinet, though. But seeing how nice it looks in the cabinet, I may just build me one as an excuse to get her running...

You know, I have a 500t sitting on a shelf waiting for a re-cap - one of the channels is real weak and I'm hoping the caps will take care of that. No cabinet, though. But seeing how nice it looks in the cabinet, I may just build me one as an excuse to get her running...

That cabinet really makes this receiver stand out. A lot of the later receivers had really cheap cabinets or side plates, or even vinyl veneer. The wrap-around wood cabinet look of the first SS units really is unique, outside of the tube receiver world. The 500t looks pretty naked without it. I think there are other instances, like with my McIntosh 4100, where the cabinet clashes with the look of the unit, and it's better without it. Not so the 500T.

Back
Top Bottom