Fisher 600-C Dial Glass

barrynsue

Hi folks,

Can anyone help in providing a source for locating replacement dial glass for a Fisher 800-C? Willing to buy a parts units also if the glass is in good shape. I just pulled mine out of the shipping box and discovered a wonderful "V" in the dial. Although I still can put it back together, it would be a shame to leave this beauty with such an ugly scar on her face.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

Dial glasses for 400's & 500C's come up pretty frequently on ebay, as do non-working parts units, many of which come with the front panel and glass. Unfortunately, 800C's are far less common. While I've seen a few parts units over the last few years, I don't recall anyone selling a dial glass by itself. You're going to need a combination of patience and luck!

A completely non-working parts unit, if it has transformers, even if all the tubes are missing, could fetch over $100. One thing to try...if you see a parts unit for sale, you might try emailing the seller and offer to buy the dial glass separately. That will save you the money of buying the whole thing just for one part. Of course you could buy the whole thing, keep the dial glass, and then resell the rest. A bit of a hassle, but you'd get your dial glass.

Fisher 800-C glass

Thanks for the reply. I figured that would be the case so maybe I will just hold on to it for awhile and see what comes my way. Otherwise I will just part it out as the wood case and other parts may yield a higher return than hoping I will find the glass.

One last question related to Fisher equipment. I am missing a jewel out of my FMR-1. I believe it is Red as it goes on the far right AFC slot. Any chance that they are available?

Your assistance is appreciated!

Barry

Afaik, the only source for replacement jewels is the Fisher Doctor. Fisherdoctor.com. While I've never ordered anything from him, he does not have a good reputation for prompt service, to say the least.

Another possibility is Paul Grzybek, at www.2baudio.com. Paul used to do a lot of Fisher restoration work, and may have some jewels in his old parts stash. Best bet is email: tubeaudio@comcast.net.

Last choice would be to replace all with new, but not exactly correct, from a hobby supply house. Given the value of that tuner, wouldn't be my choice.

Or, any Fisher parts unit that has jewels. I'm guessing they're all the same style.

Fisher 800-C glass

Your advice and guidance is appreciated. I had tried contacting The Fisher Doctor and had no reply after waiting about a month.

I did however follow up with Paula nd he gave the same advice as you about going to a craft store. Luckily, my wife had saved some from my daughters projects and the jewel worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Barry

I thought I recognized your name. Any guesses what that FMR-1 will fetch?

Gorgeous photography, btw.

RE: Fisher FMR-1

I absolutely have no idea how much it will bring! There have been no recent sales that I could find anywhere and be fairly new to selling the Fisher brand, I have very little knowledge overall on what I have found to be wonderful products. That is why I put the auction at $.01 start bid with no reserve. Let the market dictate and good luck to the person who most wants it.

As a sidebar, when I first hooked up a Fisher 400-CX 2 preamp, it impressed me more than the twice as costly Marantz 7C. Maybe a little less neutral but I liked that! The tuners have been awesome also so I am so glad to have had the opportunity to open my eyes on some of the fantastic offereings from Avery Fisher. Most of my tube gear has been McIntosh over the past couple of years and that was my reference point.

Owning this collection has really given me a much broader knowledge of what tube gear is all about. I have now possessed and sold many of the finest tube audio gear ever assembled from the finest American manufacturers (some foreign too) and it is quite an experience. I am so happy when someone gets one of these somewhat rare and hard to find pieces to either add to their collection or open up there first venture into tube gear. It's a great feeling and I am glad to be a part of it. It is not always all about the money and I will carry this with me for the rest of my life. Sounds hokie but it is true. I have met so many great people from around the globe who are passionate about their audio and it has ben a great experience.

Sorry for the long-winded reply to a simple question but as someone who knows the Fisher brand much better than I ever will and who took the time to help, I just thought it wise to let you know how impressed I am with the Fisher brand. It's a real shame that their name is now associated as being a cheap audio product rather than the former quality manufacturer that they were.

Take care and thanks again for all of your time and assistance.

Barry

P.S. Thanks on the photography compliment. Once I learn to do more than set it on "Auto", I may really get some decent pics but since I won't read the manual, that is as good as it get! :)

I would be very disappointed if it failed to hit $1,000.

The FMR-1 is the "commercial" version of the FM-1000 tuner, with rack mounts. It is directly responsible for Marantz being sold to another company. The FM-1000 was the finest FM tuner available at the time. So many Marantz customers were buying them that Marantz actually made a replacement faceplate for the FM-1000 so that it matched Marantz gear. Finally Saul Marantz decided he couldn't live with that any more, so he started a cost-no-object project to develop an FM tuner that was better than the Fisher FM-1000. The result was the 10B. It cost so much to develop, and was so expensive that not enough were sold to cover the development costs, and it essentially bankrupted Marantz.

The 400-CX2 is considered to be one of the best tube preamps ever made, along with the 7C.

The ultimate Fisher setup would be the FM-1000 (or FMR-1) and the 400-CX2 driving an SA-1000 power amp, or the FM-1000 and X-1000 if you prefer an integrated amp.

Good luck with the auction!

Fisher FMR-1

I was only vaguely aware of the background and I would hope it this point it will reach $1,000.00 +. I should probably list my SA-1000 also but the McIntosh MC-275 is going up tonight as I try to spread the brands out.

Your knowledge is appreciated and hope I can call on you again in the future.

Barry

Yep Barry, you have a way of really making the equipment shine - my compliments on your photography skills. Keep up the good work!

The FRM-1 was actually the only monitor tuner from the major US companies having the crystal control front end as an option. McIntosh, Marantz, Scott not Sherwood offered this feature. There were some minor companies that did produce FM monitors that used crystal controlled from ends but only 1 that I am aware of and I can not remember the name had the ability to have a multiple crystal front end so could be used in a home environment to listen to more than 1 station without having to switch out the crystals.

Fisherdude said:
So many Marantz customers were buying them that Marantz actually made a replacement faceplate for the FM-1000 so that it matched Marantz gear.

Amazing! Have you ever seen one of the re-faceplated models for sale?

Nope. There aren't that many FM-1000's that come up, much less FMR-1's. I didn't want to get anybody's hopes up too high, but this could end up at a real eye-opening final bid. 10B's in pristine condition flirt with $2,500 with a nice case, and they're actually a bit more common.

In all the years I've looked on eBay I have seen 1 of the Marantz faceplated Fishers for sale and it was a 200 and not the 1000 from memory.

brian,
looked waht just popped up on ebay.karg xt-1a

Attachments

• karg1 (Small).jpg
    karg1 (Small).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 42
  • karg2 (Small).jpg
    karg2 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 25
  • karg3 (Small).jpg
    karg3 (Small).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 30
  • karg4 (Small).jpg
    karg4 (Small).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 28
  • karg5 (Small).jpg
    karg5 (Small).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 29
Hey, ask and you shall receive. That is in really great condition. Really funky - a remote control. Now let's see, how many channels are there in the FM band? Wonder how much crystals are nowadays? Wonder if you could do a remote for all the channels on the band and load the crystals. Oh, now I remember that Star Trek episode where Spock had to realign a the crystals before the ship was destroyed. Imagine the sweet glow of some nice tubes as it bounces off several dozen brightly polished crystals (hmmm wonder if the cases could be chrome plated). You'd be the only guy on your block. Think of how nicely the setup would go with the Fairchilds. Let's see - for a demultiplexer, what about a nice Scott with its leather covered cabinet?

Back
Top Bottom