Fisher 700T Am I the only one that has one?

HTHMAN

I bought this Receiver new in 1967 and it still plays. I recently dusted it off and hooked it up to a pair of Radio Shack Optimus 1 speakers that I bought off Craigslist, put Switched-on Bach on the turntable and REALLY enjoyed it. As you can see, I am not allowed to have it in the main part of the house.

Have not seen this receiver on this forum, so here are a couple pics. Anyone else own one of these?

P1000774.jpg

P1000775.jpg

P1000776.jpg

Last edited:
I got four Fishers and one of these was in the lot. Alas, it was dead on both outputs and the dial glass was broken.

I posted in the other thread but I'll follow up here...

I have several. They are just outstanding receivers, and imo the best ss receiver Fisher made. It's early, way before the Sanyo era, and puts out a rock solid sound. I think it's head and shoulders above the 500TX in sound quality and punchy bass.

Sorry to hear about yours, Don. What did you do with it?

After I got mine, the McIntosh people went to some of the audio shops with test equipment to compare your stuff to theirs. When they ran the Fisher, it beat the McIntosh soundly up to 25,000HZ where theirs started to pull away. My dog may have been upset, but I was not.

Just curious......what are the specs on the 700T vs. the 500TX. I've got a 500TX that i've totally overhauled, short of tuner work. 12" straight wire and I'm picking up D.C. stations (50 miles away) that I can't get on other units on a Roof antenna. Tune -O-Matic, and Auto Tune both work also, which I heard is one of the problems with this unit. Daily use unit and it just keeps getting better.

Driving Nova 8B's with it. Unfreakinreal!

Here's the 500TX on the Bench getting the adjustments made after recap.
100_1495.jpg

Larry

Just curious......what are the specs on the 700T vs. the 500TX.

Larry, I posted the specs for the 700T over in the "Let's see your Fisher gear" thread. My '68 Fisher handbook has specs for the 500T, the TX does not appear to be related.

That 500TX is a nice looking receiver though. Does that Tune-O-Matic feature work?

The 500TX came out in 1969 and ran until 1971 frm what i understand. Everything works on it like new. The only thing wrong is the lettering on the front face. Worn off about 80% so i got in there with a ball point and made itty bitty letters to see what's what. I could do with Pressure transfer letters (Hobby world) but they are and have been out for 6 months.....

Larry

Larry, you should post that in the "Let's see your Fisher Gear" section. That's a beaut.

I haven't figured out how to cross-post the same photo though. I always reshoot and upload fresh photos.

Fisherdude, I scoffed the knobs and handed it to my local ebay flipper. We help each other. It had a buzz and only a buzz on the outputs. The flipper sold it for respectable money he told me. Good for him! Good for the 700. Never did see a cabinet though.

said:
Driving Nova 8B's with it. Unfreakinreal!

I owned some Optimus 5b's which were the same speaker without the fancy grill. They sounded great on the Fisher. Sold them and recently found some mint Optimus 1 speakers. Also sound great on this receiver.

Jailtime: Everything on the 500TX works. There is a Wired remote for it (option on the 500TX) that controlled the AUTO-TUNE. It was standard on the 800TX(overseas version of the 500TX). Still gonna gin one up. 1 SPDT and a DIN connection plus wire and a box.

Don; It's already on there, a couple months ago I think, plus just last night.

HTHMAN; The 8B/5B's are really nice speakers. Not too crazy about the plastic grills but they sure sound nice. There's a thread in the speaker forum on upgrading the X-over for them. Just over $100 in parts to upgrade them.

Larry

Jailtime:

HTHMAN; The 8B/5B's are really nice speakers. Not too crazy about the plastic grills but they sure sound nice. There's a thread in the speaker forum on upgrading the X-over for them. Just over $100 in parts to upgrade them.

Larry

I saw that thread. That speaker had a strange crossover setup. The 2 mid-range and the tweeter were used for the mid-range and then just the tweeter alone for the highs. That had to be quite an extended range tweeter. It worked because that was an extremely accurate speaker. If it sounds good, I would leave it alone.

i had a 700t once, i found it in the trash as a kid coverd in cob webs and very moldy :D

it cleaned up nice, wish i still had it.

AK'er Steph Gaynor gave me a '67 Fisher catalog today. It even has a price list. It has the ad copy for the 700-t. I'll scan it and post when I have time. This'll warm your heart.
Prices:
400 - 229.50
500-C - 269.50
800-C - 399.50
700-T - 499.50

HA! Even better:
Fisher Master Audio Control
400-CX - 199.50

Fisher Basic Stereo Amplifier
SA-1000 329.50.

So, pricewise, that 700-T darned well better be nice.
Walnut cabinets were about $25 extra.

AK'er Steph Gaynor gave me a '67 Fisher catalog today. It even has a price list. It has the ad copy for the 700-t. I'll scan it and post when I have time. This'll warm your heart.
Prices:
400 - 229.50
500-C - 269.50
800-C - 399.50
700-T - 499.50

HA! Even better:
Fisher Master Audio Control
400-CX - 199.50

Fisher Basic Stereo Amplifier
SA-1000 329.50.

So, pricewise, that 700-T darned well better be nice.
Walnut cabinets were about $25 extra.

Uh, I'll take the 400CX with an SA-1000 for 30 bucks more than the 700T, please. :drool:

That's insane how much more the 800C cost over the 500C.

Uh, I'll take the 400CX with an SA-1000 for 30 bucks more than the 700T, please. :drool:

That's insane how much more the 800C cost over the 500C.

Consider this. AM was the "Moving Force" in Broadcast Radio at that time. FM was a young upstart, and FM Stereo was even younger. The AM Tuners were REALLY GOOD at that point and a lot of time and attention was put into them. A Hundred and a 1/2 is about right for a GOOD TUNER Section.

As for the disparity in the TUBE/ SS prices, tubes were on their way out, and Solid State was the "IN" thing. IIRC 67-68 was the last year that FISHER made anything tubed. 69 Model year was all SS. I would guess that they were liquidating as much tube inventory as possible to allow room for SS. Dealers were still selling NIB 400-500C-800C models in 71-72 that had been built in 67-68 and had been sitting, for 60-70% off list price.

If I was ten years older and had known better at the time, I'd have bought one of most all of the line at the NAV-EXCH. They had GREAT DISCOUNTED Prices on FISHER Gear in 72-73. I remember seeing either a 500C or 800C for $149.00 NIB. In High School, and parents wouldn't loan me the $$ for one. DAMN!!!!

Larry

attachment.php

Specs on the 1967 FISHER Receiver Line

Fisher was a bit conservative. When I had my 700T tested, the THD at full power from 20-24,000Hz was under 0.25% all the way across the spectrum. At over 24K, the distortion increased exponentially and the graph went almost straight up.

That's about what HI FIdelity magazine found on the 500TX (see lets see your Fisher Gear thread by Jailtime) in Sept 69, if I'm reading the graphs correctly. I posted the review there.

Back
Top Bottom