Fisher 800B - looking for a DAC and more

quadaptor

I have a Fisher 800B I’m trying to get back up and running and would like to expand its functionality. As you know, the unit has only one auxiliary input. I also have an older Cambridge Audio DACMagic I’ve used with the unit for its intended purpose and for increasing the capacity of the auxiliary input. My questions on DACs are these. Are there DACs that provide for more inputs and would do double duty as a switch box for the auxiliary? Or could I achieve expanded functionality by simply stacking another DACMagic into one of the inputs of the unit I already have? I’m trying to keep this simple and not stupid and appreciate any advice you can give.

Regarding the 800B, I’ve had this thing for 33-years and in my career I’ve drug it all to heck and back and it’s like a Timex; “it takes a licking but keeps on ticking.” I also have to say it’s built like a tank but sounds like a symphony. I love this thing, which brings me to a second question. I’m out in California. Can anyone recommend a shop or facility out here that can rebuild this unit? Thanks again and I look forward to all comments.

Last edited:
Not sure what the DACMagic has, but if you get a DAC with USB, Digital Coax, and Toslink inputs, you'll have at least three potential options...

I have a Topping D50 with USB and Toslink only. I use both (computer-USB, CD Player-Toslink) and switch between inputs at the DAC.

Not sure what the DACMagic has, but if you get a DAC with USB, Digital Coax, and Toslink inputs, you'll have at least three potential options...

I have a Topping D50 with USB and Toslink only. I use both (computer-USB, CD Player-Toslink) and switch between inputs at the DAC.

The Cambridge pretty much provides for three inputs. I may have a need for one more input and was wondering if there were any DACs that handled more. Thanks

Fred Longworth in San Diego has a shop, www.repairaudio.com. He's a longtime AK'er, and does outstanding work. There's a guy in SIMI Valley Tom (I can't remember the last name, but it's of Asian Descent). He also does outstanding work. As for the Bay area, you might get on the Tube Forum and ask around from the guys in the Bay Area.

Back
Top Bottom