Fisher 90-T AM-FM Tuner/Preamp

audmod01

I recently bought a Fisher 90-T which was originally sold in CA. It is surprisingly clean for one of its age. It was missing two 12AX7s and shields. I had both the tubes and the shields. It also was missing its EZ80 rectifier tube. I checked all my tubes and did not have any. I did have left over 1N5408 rectifiers that I had removed from the 800-C I have been working on (they were originally in the negative bias/preamp filament supply there). I decided to substitute two of the rectifiers for the rectifier tube and added a 100 ohm 10W resistor between the rectifier cathodes and the input to the electrolytic filter capacitor. I added one terminal strip to hold the rectifiers and one end of the resistor. I am leaving the socket for the EZ80 rectifier tube in place in case I ever want to install one and remove the solid state rectifiers.

I decided to try the 90-T connected to the AUX input of the 800-C. I connected with a Y cable and used a simple clip lead antenna to the FM antenna inputs of the 90-T. It came on and worked. The eye tube is nice and bright for its age and the FM band works well and is quite sensitive. There is some noise from the volume and tone controls that would be corrected by cleaning. There are numerous axial lead electrolytics in the tuner circuitry that need replacing and eventually the main ones in the power supply. I did not leave it on long, but it gave a good accounting of itself considering its age.
90-T 01.jpg
90-T 05.jpg
These 90-T models have 4 FM IF stages like the 500-B/C or 800B/C and some other units. A PC88 is the RF amplifier stage which if I remember correctly is a 7DJ8 (like a 6DJ8 but with a 7VAC filament structure). This was the early version of the "Golden Cascode" front end which boasted the highest FM sensitivity and lowest noise figure at the time compared to other RF amp tubes.

Unfortunately this one came without any knobs!
90-T Power Supply.jpg
I think the above schematic which came originally from the Sam's folder for the unit was optimistic about the original tube rectifier supplying 400mA B+ since the tube manual says it only provides up to 90mA. More likely it provides about 40mA. I need to measure the voltage drop across the 100 ohm resistor I added and see how much current is actually flowing in it.

Joe

Looking at the front panel of the 90-T:
Example 90-T 02.jpg
The version that I have (S/N 10105-A) has the tuning eye and the push-buttons on the front.

I have the Sam's folder 425-7 which states that it is for serial numbers 19999 and lower. Were there later versions of higher serial number sequences? Do any of you have one with a sequence of say 20001-29999?

Joe

Last edited:
Joe; There is a 90-R manual that's 10001-19999 on Fisherconsoles. As the 90-R should be a 90-T with an added Preamp(same way a 80-R and 80-T are), you could probably use the 90-R manual for it too........

Larry

Absolutely beautiful Joe.

To no one in particular: At the risk of sacrilege, are these (easily) adaptable to stereo multiplex output - maybe via a MPX-100?

I don't see why not. There's an article in one of the old Stereo/radio magazines on how to add a MPX out. I'll dig in my Desktop and link to it. Some wire, and an RCA JAck and you're in business.

Thanks Larry,

Very cool.

I love the look of the 50's mono tuners and heard good things about their mono fidelity. I'd just love to have one sometime and know that I could upgrade and use it in stereo easily. (I was worried that it wouldn't lend itself well to passing the higher than normal audio carrier frequency needed for decoding the stereo signal.)

For me I wouldn't need the pre-amp so perhaps a related tuner-only model might fit me better. The pushbuttons and look of the 90-T are just so awesome though.

Last edited:
Yes, the Fisher 90-T does have a MPX out jack so connection to a Fisher MPX-100 would be an easy connection. The 90-R model also has the MPX out jack.

The frame bezel around the selection indicators on the left side, the dial and the tuning eye on the right side is a piece of cast metal. The rest of the front bezel is stamped steel that has been brass plated, then the lettering added followed by a lacquer finish. There was a version of the 90-R that had a bright finish stamped steel front bezel which looks like brushed aluminum, but is likely a plated steel with lacquer coating:
Anniversary 90-R.jpg This version was advertised as an "Anniversary Model". I think there may have been a similar 90-T model too. Either the brass or the brushed satin silver models are quite distinctive. Both feature the 7DJ8 RF Dual-Triode "Golden Cascode" front end. There is a separate filament winding just for that one tube. Later a 6DJ8 version was introduced and eliminated the need for the 7V filament winding.

I wonder if any of these were used in a President console offering with the brushed silver front bezel in the Fisher Anniversary year models.

Joe

The early Fisher tuners and receivers with MPX output jacks can all produce reasonable stereo as is, with a proper outboard MPX adaptor of course. I was able to achieve about 28 db of separation using a stock early receiver of this type and MPX 100 -- good enough to produce good sounding stereo. To do better, you will need to fit at least the ratio detector transformer as used in any piece of Fisher "Wide Band" FM Stereo MPX gear, as the term wide band was more than just a marketing slogan -- it was a description of the wider response curve in the IF section of those pieces so designated to allow for maximum FM Stereo MPX separation, which under optimum conditions could reach 35+ db.

Dave

I notice that the 90-R and 90-T both have 82K ohm resistors across a couple of their FM IF transformer primaries while a KM-60 has a 47K ohm and a 27K ohm resistor across a couple of their FM IF transformer primaries. It is possible that changing the 82K ohm resistors to the lower resistance values will broaden the existing IF transformers enough to work well with a broad band ratio detector transformer to deliver better separation with either a MPX-100 or one of the WX or MPX-65 multiplex adapters. The MPX-100 or MPX-200 may have a better chance of delivering stereo with an unmodified 90-R or 90-T than the MPX-65 or a WX adapter. Even 29dB of separation can sound pretty good.

Joe

I have been watching for some Fisher knobs like the originals for the 90-T and never was able to get a complete set. I did find some knobs to match some of the Fisher 600 series and managed to clean them up and take this picture:
90-T with knobs web.jpg
These are not original knobs but I consider these an up-grade compared to the original ones. These are so much more "dressed up" and just look more appropriate for this tuner/preamp.

This unit may have considerable age but works quite well on tuner function. I need to check the preamp functions to make sure nothing is amiss there. It has been a while since I checked this unit.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom