? Fisher 90b ?

notsofast

Is the Fisher 90B tuner a desirable unit?
Is it a good performer?
Any particular drawbacks?
Thanks

Couldn't say, really. The folks who watch the "dollars and sense" forum might be able to help with that one. If you need a tuner, this would seem a good one, but you might compare with availability/cost of some of the other Fisher units of similar vintage.

It's important that it is in vg condition, but has it been serviced? I wouldn't just hook it up without knowing for certain because certain parts that don't age well can fail and take more expensive parts with them - even it if the unit looks good. It would help to know if it has been in recent use or sitting for a long time.

It might need cleaning, capacitors updated, and possibly a fresh alignment if not done recently. Some Fisher tuner models (maybe not this one) have a selenium rectifier that should be updated with a silicon rectifier and resistor. Does it come with the wood case? The case adds significant value. Also, do you have any good FM stations in your market? If not then that might be a consideration.

Other than that the Fisher tuners have a good following and I personally wouldn't shy away from that unit, but I like doing the work myself.

Well I got it off of eBay a Fisher 90b, no corrosion no dents or scratches. So the big day comes and it’s here, can’t wait, package looks good. I open it, wow double boxed, slide the inner box off and “@!x/-“ the brown tuning wheel is in about ten pieces.
So I’m not a happy camper. Then I contact the seller who was quick to respond to my emails when he thought he might has a sale but now no answer nothing. I even paid for insurance over and above it’s value in case there was a problem. Made my mind up to not go through “the process” and got the super glue out, removed the center portion of the wheel from the tuner shaft while unhooking the string without pulling the needle off scale. Carefully put the pieces back together applying the glue lightly with a modeling brush and low and behold it was all there except for a small inconsequential piece. Now back together; wheel, string, string pulley tensioner, etc...argh
Well my repairs worked and worked very well, stations are spot on, the other 99% of the works great too, good reception, good balance and separation. The tuner is quite happy with a common dipole antenna. Stereo beacon works properly and it’s lights work. I use it often and enjoy it.

Off the Fisher topic, but a few years ago I bought a Harman-Kardon CD player. This was in excellent condition, double boxed, reinforced cardboard corners, several inches of crumpled paper, etc. Once opened, the unit was broken. Closer inspection revealed that FedEx somehow poked a sharp object straight into the corner of the box and into the lower corner of the face of the unit. The seller was willing to take it back and deal with FedEx but after more evaluation, I decided to keep the unit as it was otherwise in mint condition. The front panel is solid black, so the bad corner was carefully filed down. The only visible external evidence now is that the corner is rounded but it would have to be pointed out to be noticed. The internal plastic flanges that were broken are not critical.

Off the Fisher topic, but a few years ago I bought a Harman-Kardon CD player. This was in excellent condition, double boxed, reinforced cardboard corners, several inches of crumpled paper, etc. Once opened, the unit was broken. Closer inspection revealed that FedEx somehow poked a sharp object straight into the corner of the box and into the lower corner of the face of the unit. The seller was willing to take it back and deal with FedEx but after more evaluation, I decided to keep the unit as it was otherwise in mint condition. The front panel is solid black, so the bad corner was carefully filed down. The only visible external evidence now is that the corner is rounded but it would have to be pointed out to be noticed. The internal plastic flanges that were broken are not critical.
Come on Fred, no kudos for my repair? Geez

Back
Top Bottom