? Fisher 90b ?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by notsofast, Jan 9, 2019.

1. notsofast

notsofast Active Member

Is the Fisher 90B tuner a desirable unit?
    Is it a good performer?
    Any particular drawbacks?
    Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

3. notsofast

notsofast Active Member

If I pay $100 for a 90b in vg condition, have I done alright?

4. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Couldn't say, really. The folks who watch the "dollars and sense" forum might be able to help with that one. If you need a tuner, this would seem a good one, but you might compare with availability/cost of some of the other Fisher units of similar vintage.

5. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's important that it is in vg condition, but has it been serviced? I wouldn't just hook it up without knowing for certain because certain parts that don't age well can fail and take more expensive parts with them - even it if the unit looks good. It would help to know if it has been in recent use or sitting for a long time.

It might need cleaning, capacitors updated, and possibly a fresh alignment if not done recently. Some Fisher tuner models (maybe not this one) have a selenium rectifier that should be updated with a silicon rectifier and resistor. Does it come with the wood case? The case adds significant value. Also, do you have any good FM stations in your market? If not then that might be a consideration.

Other than that the Fisher tuners have a good following and I personally wouldn't shy away from that unit, but I like doing the work myself.