Fisher 90T Question

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by nelsress, May 24, 2018.

1. nelsress

nelsress AK Subscriber Subscriber

Having had quite a few Fisher 80Ts over the years, I'm a fan, I think the 80 series tuners sound great and the preamp in the 80T, as I understand it, are basically 50cs.

Recently I picked up a Fisher 90T tuner/preamp and was wondering if the preamp in the 90T is comparable to any of Fisher's individual component preamplifiers? I plan to test the tubes and bring it up on a variac to see how/if it works. My experience with 80Ts is 100% as far as them coming up on a variac and functional! Either I'm very lucky or these things are extremely well made with quality components-which would be my guess, I'm not THAT lucky! :)

Anyway, if this has been covered, I apologize. I did do a couple of searches but didn't find what I was looking for. Feel free to direct me to a link or elaborate here, either is great!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I don't remember ever seeing any threads on the 90-T. I would think it's an incremental improvement on the 80-T with the looks of the 500 mono receiver. I like the 80-T in that the tuner and preamp are on two separate chassis, with good shielding. I would think there might be slightly more baseline noise in the 90-T due to the cramming of the equivalent circuits into one chassis. And I maybe wrong on this. My 80-T needed caps before it ran very well. It sounded really tired when I got it, but perked up after the caps. The 90-T may do the same.

3. nelsress

nelsress AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks Larry. I agree, I too like the fact that the pre in the 80T is in a separate chassis, pretty "boutique" for its time! I'm still not finding anything on the pre section of the 90T.
    Regarding my 90T, I've not even taken it out of the wooden cabinet yet, let alone opened it up inside. Perhaps a peek under the hood will give me some more clues, I'll have to do that when I get a chance. I thought perhaps Dr. Dave G. might have some insight on this. It would be great if it were an 80C or 90C equivalent but I'm sure that's not the case. :)

4. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Now that I think about it more, the 90-T looks to have a similar tuner section to the 500, The preamp section could also be similar. Corelating The FISHER Schematic for the 90-T and the SAMs for the 500 is taxing. But they look similar up to a point.