Fisher Allegro A9 - comments?

Good news...I think. I didn't know the Allegro has a fuse... it blew. I can't read the amperage, looks like 170 and then an upside down 50 which makes no sense. Hopefully the schematic shows amperage. I could have saved myself a lot of amp-removal work if I had studied first. Oh well. Lesson learned. Hopefully the root cause of the blow was the bad tube.

Well, everything back together, 1A fuse works, but I get no sound with FM. Haven't tried phono yet. I may have to go back in and diagnose deeper. Thorne

Now this is weird. Everything works, but only when the Selector switch is set to PHONO and when the phono turntable is on ! On the 2 other selections (FM and AUX), all tubes are lit, but I get no sound at all. I know I've hooked everything up correctly. There isn't that much to screw up ! Just 2 adapters that go on only one way, and the 4 RCA plugs that connect to L and R radio and phono signals on top of the chassis (not the 4 on the back of the chassis).

So does anyone recognize these symptoms and know where I should look? I was thinking if the selections are messed up, it must be something with the Selector switch, but I didn't do anything to that.

Think I found the problem. When I was taking off the tuner Changer Connector, I apparently broke the ground post inside the male connector which is attached to the top of the chassis, and the broken piece appears to be bridging the ground and adjacent posts. Time for microsurgery ! Thorne

UPDATE: Nothing wrong with Changer Connector. It must have been the angle I was looking at. So now I have to hunt. Any ideas please?

Last edited:
Sounds like it has a Phono Shutoff switch in that it only works when the phono is ON. When the last record is done it shuts the whole thing OFF. The Selector Switch(S1 SECTION 2)does this on the A-19. Check for an OUTER ring (similar to the Bass/Treble pots on the 500c) and if so, rotate it counterclockwise. That should put it back in Normal mode. Take a Closeup of the operating panel of the amplifier and post it up if you can.

Thanks for the response, Larry. Pictures attached. I don't see any second ring like on the 500-C controls. Thorne

Attachments

• 20180823_155725.jpg
    20180823_155725.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180823_155920.jpg
    20180823_155920.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
Good news. I gave the volume and selector switches a heavy dose of Deoxit and voila ! Everything works as expected. Yahoo !!

I replaced a tweeter with something I found online, but alas, the Fisher tweeter seems to be perfectly matched for its enclosure so back went the original. The Fisher tweeter seems to handle a good portion of the mids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom