Fisher Brand 7868 NOS Tubes

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by healyc139, Jul 29, 2018.

1. healyc139

healyc139 Member

Hey AK

I have an opportunity to get a quad set of Fisher brand 7868 tube, testing 107/106/106/105. Worth $160?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep. my 2 cents. Those are well matched. Dave G taught me they should be tested under normal operating voltages. Make sure there are no shorts etc....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  3. arts

arts Super Member

That would depend entirely on what they were tested on.....and one of these ain't the best choice.

[​IMG]

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

actual NOS and verified matched, 160 for a set is not a bad deal no matter who's name is on the label.

5. healyc139

healyc139 Member

that thing is so sick

6. bhamham

bhamham AK Subscriber Subscriber

Arts, I remember that tester down at my neighborhood drug store around 1962. A new 7868 would set you back around $2.98 :)

Bill Ferris and arts like this.

7. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Damn Bruce. You can't touch one of the pins for that now.

Bill Ferris, bhamham and baconbadge like this.
  8. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yikes, what's this hobby coming to?? On the surface, that price sounds absurd for ANY 4 tubes. (Up until the last few years, anyhoo). Thank ebay & all the profiteers who advertise for & buy up all the high- demand audio tubes. However, they ain't making any more of these. If you have gear that uses these, it's like a gun in your pocket while downtown on Saturday night. Better to have & not need, than to need & not have. :eek:

9. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

$40 a tube really isn't bad for something that hasn't been made in 40 years, especially in a matched set with Fisher branding. New production are $30 each and they mess up the sockets.

10. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

You have a valid point. However, it pains me to think that an untold quantity of such have been thrown out over the years after the owners have died or downsized , & the families +/or executors had no idea of the value of these & other related things. What's junk today shall be valuable in the future also,although I can't imagine what-yet.

11. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

That tester is way cool though!
    She reminds me of a fortune teller.
    "I see you buying tubes in the near future"

Catmanboo and arts like this.

12. arts

arts Super Member

I was being sarcastic in my original post about the U-TEST-M machine,but unfortunately many unsuspecting or inexperienced buyers are getting taken by sleazy operators who are taking advantage of people. Deliberately misleading descriptions,using clearly inferior testers in an attempt to get a GOOD or EVEN-BETTER-THAN-GOOD reading (cripes,I have some cheezy emission testers that would would give a burned out lightbulb a pass!) and my old favourite,''I don't know much about this stuff,or these tubes,so therefore no guarantees''. Great examples of this can be had over at a particular Canadian audio site....

As some of the guys have mentioned earlier,these tubes,whether NOS Fisher or branded by any other ''original'' manufacturer for that matter,are an absolute steal at that price.The question is whether (or not!) these are actually NOS,and whether the seller is to be believed regarding the test results.:)

13. SixCats!

SixCats! Super Member

Hi all,

This thread inspired me to check the the Tubes on my (freshly overhauled by Craig at NOS Valves). I was excited to get my Fisher Receiver back and up and running.
    Only recently had I put this unit into my MAIN audio system (as opposed to a seldom used Bedroom system), The Fisher replaced my NAD C-326BEE Integrated Amp.
    Oooh my God! I'm sooooo glad I took the time to set this Baby up to see just what this old Fisher 400 could do performance wise. In a Nutshell, FANTASTIC!
    I have the 400 connected to a pair of (fairly efficient @ 89 db) POLK 10 Monitors and the Fisher's 25 Watts per channel makes the 10 Monitors sing just lovely!
    Oooh, I wasn't sure what the four Fisher's 7868 Power Tubes were branded so, I just checked......four original "THE FISHER" Tubes. Sweeeet!

EDIT : Funny, I just now found the following thread on Stereophile's (Historic page) on the Fisher 500. I can't believe I started this thread in 2005. I believe this article was what inspired me to seek out a Fisher Tube Receiver. Lucky for me, I found an all original Fisher 400 from a kindly old Gentleman (who I kind of suspect was sickly). When he showed me the Fisher 400, I was expecting to pay a hefty sum of money for the unit. I asked how much he was asking for the Receiver and he said "how about fifty dollars ?" I said "are you sure, that's all you want ?" The kindly Gentleman said "yes". I gave the Gentleman a big THANK YOU (and fifty dollars). I imagine this kindly Gentleman is no longer with us today. I was about age 50 around this time (will be 64 in July). I think this kindly old Gentleman just wanted the Fisher 400 go to someone who would really appreciate the Receiver (he was right!) as I do VERY much appreciate owning/using this wonderful Fisher 400 Tube Receiver.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...hile-has-a-big-article-on-fisher-500-c.39129/

SixCats!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    AlTinkster92 likes this.
  14. thornev

thornev Well-Known Member

Heart-warming story. Always nice to hear about people who care more about seeing their treasured devices going to caring homes than to people with bulging pockets.

SixCats! likes this.