Fisher C800 Contemporary

relaximus

Consoles 'Я' Us
Just got back from picking up a '58 C800 Contemporary radio/phonograph. It's in decent condition, but missing the legs. The Garrard changer has a GE VRII cartridge. Best of all, everything works! Pics to follow once I get it unloaded. If anyone has suggestions for the legs (even the correct length would help), I'd love to hear them. It also came with the original owner's manual, the manual for the Garrard TT, cutout template for the TT and a few cards explaining the VRII cartridge and available extension speaker. Oh, the sticker identifies it as a C-800 with a "P" suffix written in pen. I'm guessing the "P" indicates Provincial, so I assume the cabinetry is fruitwood.

BTW: I gave a Jackson for it. :yes:

Dave

Last edited:
Congratulations, Dave! Looking forward to photos.
If anyone has suggestions for the legs (even the correct length would help), I'd love to hear them.
The following post has the correct dimensions - I just checked them against the ones on my C-810. Does your cabinet have the metal plates that the legs screwed into? If you decide to fabricate you own legs I can take photos of mine to give you a better idea of their appearance.

http://ns1.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4567063&postcount=435

Oh, the sticker identifies it as a C-800 with a "P" suffix written in pen. I'm guessing the "P" indicates Provincial, so I assume the cabinetry is fruitwood.
Sam Cogley has a C-800 with the "P" furniture code, too. He and I have been wondering about the meaning of that "P" for some time. What would be your guess as to the wood used in the veneer?

Toss up a picture so we can see if your veneer matches mine.

You can get pre-made spindle legs in several lengths at ACE Hardware. I would assume that they have a size that will be pretty close to the originals.

One of these days I need to get around to finishing the work on the R20 receiver in mine, the power supply is a bit flaky. Even though it requires drilling a hole in the chassis, I'd heavily recommend adding a fuse. I have no idea why Fisher didn't include one, I have a 70A amp that's several years older than the R20 and it has a fuse. I also converted it from the cone tweeter to a Foster horn from an old Zenith Allegro speaker, and upgraded the crossover and mid with parts salvaged from a Medalist II that I bought for the R20 receiver. When it's working right, the sound is fantastic.

Congratulations, Dave! Looking forward to photos.The following post has the correct dimensions - I just checked them against the ones on my C-810. Does your cabinet have the metal plates that the legs screwed into? If you decide to fabricate you own legs I can take photos of mine to give you a better idea of their appearance.
Thanks Red!

Yes, the metal plates are there for screw-in legs. I found these legs on ebay and thought I could likely just cut them down to size. They appear to be the correct style and have the brass furl on the bottom. Their top diameter is 1-1/4" and they taper to 3/4" at the bottom. The brass furl is 1-1/2" tall. What do you think?

BTW: I've scanned the manual and supporting documentation and emailed it off to Jon for the FisherConsoles site.

legswd.jpg

Dave

... I also converted it from the cone tweeter to a Foster horn from an old Zenith Allegro speaker, and upgraded the crossover and mid with parts salvaged from a Medalist II that I bought for the R20 receiver. When it's working right, the sound is fantastic.
Sam:

Do you have a thread with your restoration/upgrade work? I'm also thinking that I may want to replace the grill cloth. It's a bit discolored in places and has a small tear in it.

Dave

A few quick pics. I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet and it's obvious the dial lights need to be replaced.

99048571.jpg

14954012.jpg

80398948.jpg

42616197.jpg

51986047.jpg

62780620.jpg

35829571.jpg

1003450o.jpg

1003464ea.jpg

79871605.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
I've never found any that's a very good match. I finally used some period-correct stuff pulled from an old Hammond organ. Eventually I might change it out for some cane fabric that I think would look good.

The finish on yours is the same as mine.

Interesting that your C800 has the C810 style knobs. We eventually figured out that the input marked "Stereo" is for using the C800 as an extension speaker system for the stereo-capable C810, which would give the advantage of not having to buy the C810 and its extension speaker to listen to stereo, and add FM/AM simulcast stereo reception capability.

I'll admit that I removed the "Medalist Series II" lettering from the dial glass of my R20. I pulled the unit from a Medalist console, and I thought it looked better without it.

I've never found any that's a very good match. I finally used some period-correct stuff pulled from an old Hammond organ. Eventually I might change it out for some cane fabric that I think would look good.
I was thinking about this from PartsExpress. I wish I could get a swatch of it.

261-810_l.jpg

Dave

Oh my, she's a dirty girl! And what the heck are "CBS" branded 6BQ5's? They say "Made In USA". I was expecting/hoping to find Fisher branded Tele's or or maybe Mullards.

1003465k.jpg

1003466so.jpg

At least the speakers and insulation look like new. And I can't believe how think/heavy the back panel is.

1003468b.jpg

Dave

Those appear to be GEs, though I'm not familiar enough with CBS/Hytron markings to rule them out as the manufacturer. My R20 has a pair of Mullard-label Mullard EL84s.

Last edited:
Damn, Dave! Wanna trade?? 59 510 Consolette converted to a 610??? Even have the 510 amp and faceplate. But I'm keeping the 560 companion tho. (JK!)

That grill cloth might just work, but the weave is a bit open compared to what's on there now. If you do get it I might want to get some for my WR-11 (51 Coronet). You might try some of that dry cleaning spray (don't know if they still make it or not) that you sprayed on, let dry, and brushed off. Or if you have an extractor type rug cleaner try the upholstery head with some dilute fabric cleaner.

Very Nice Score. Between that and the GE you DID GOOD!

Larry

Dave, I don't see any rips or pulls in your grill cloth . . . why not wash it? I cleaned mine with some pretty harsh solvents to remove what looked like a chocolate milkshake spill. There was some very minor fading in the stain area but I can live with it. The Fisher factory grill cloth is surprisingly tough. Just make sure to staple it back in place before it dries.

Incidentally, the finish on your C-800 "P" looks just like the "fruitwood" on my old Premiere. I am very impressed with the condition of your Contemporary. All you need are some legs and you'll be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom