Fisher console pull - impressive

eb2jim

I was scouring CL last week and found a Fisher console out there in the free section. Everything was spelled wrong, and they forgot to put the word "Fisher" in there, so it sat out there, literally. The console was sitting out in front of the house with a tarp part on it, no doors on it or lid, the hinges still stuck in there and bent all over. It was a complete mess and it had been rained and snowed on for at least a few times in the last week or so. And the ad said that it worked. I loaded it up and pulled the Dual turntable, speakers and 21-r/220-T unit. After cleaning it up, contact cleaning and dusting it like crazy, I hooked up a pair of speakers. I was expecting humming and maybe smoke. Other than a couple of bulbs, the thing works and it is quiet. I ordered fresh electrolytics, but the ones in there were original (some marked W Germany) and they looked good and didn't pop. I'm impressed.

Based on the Dual TT it was either a 1967 Custom Electra or a 1967 Metropolitan. You can figure out which one on www.fisherconsoles.com and look at each models cabinet variants.

It was an Electra. The cabinet still had its cardstock info sheets stapled to the back of the speaker sections. Also, the bottom of the back had Jul 9 67 stamped on it. The center wood panel that was still intact was a contemporary style cabinet. It is too bad the cabinet was trashed - also had grass inside where they cut the lawn and blew it into it. But almost 50 years old and left out in the weather for too long enough, and it runs like a champ. Turntables are my thing, and the 1010 is parts donor level. Motor is fine - as always with a Dual.

Back
Top Bottom