Fisher Console -- why the "FM-AM"?

WilsonCreek

I recently came across a Futura console, I think a 1962 model, with an "FM-AM" option. When selected, the right speaker plays whatever the FM is tuned to, and the left speaker plays whatever the AM is tuned to, both at the same time. Why was that done? Were there FM / AM dual broadcast stations? Thanks for any insight or explanation.

Attachments

• FM-AM.jpg
    FM-AM.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 32
In the early days of stereo, when FM multiplex stereo was just getting rolling, some stations broadcast stereo with one channel on AM and the other on FM. Due to the difference in audio quality on the two channels the system didn't gain much popularity. And of course multiplex units started getting popular.

AND some of the manufacturers, like FISHER put both systems in their higher end consoles, to forstall having the wrong stereo decoder in them. There was an overlap of the FM/AM and FM Multiplex (Time constant system).

You've got a rare bird there.

Larry

One other aside on this topic: Those models equipped for the earlier FM-AM stereo format will typically have very high fidelity AM tuner sections, as the AM audio output had to directly compete against FM in the other channel with the listener.

While perhaps not quite as stellar as the greatest Scott AM instruments of the '30 s and '40s, these AM sections deliver an exceptionally nice sounding listening experience in most cases.

Thanks a lot for the information--how interesting! I have enjoyed/am enjoying the console, although it has some issues (rough wood missing all hardware, broken turntable, volume suddenly takes off on it's own on the right channel, settling down on its own a little while later). But it sounds very nice, and both the FM and AM are excellent. I've only had it a few days and not long enough to find the time to try and isolate the problems, and I want to connect it to some other speakers. All of the tubes throw off a lot of heat, so it should help heat my shop in the winter, though it's not helping right now! Thanks again for the time and knowledge.

In addition to some of the console units, the 800-B was also set up for simulcast stereo.

Makes me harken back to a stereo Lawrence Welk program probably back in the late '50's-early '60s, an early stereo TV broadcast where they ran one channel on a local AM radio station and the other channel over the TV. I remember getting set up for that one Saturday evening.

Back
Top Bottom