Fisher Consoles 1945-1958

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
I finally resorted to creating my own website to organize this information:

http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/

Note: Due to my ISP discontinuing their web page hosting service, the above website is no longer in service. However, all the data from that site is available at AK member Jonboy55's http://fisherconsoles.com/ website.

Eventually (if I ever get the time) I hope to link to the photos I have. Until then, please refer to my original post:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146667

I have checked and double-checked for mistakes and I'm sure there are some more I haven't found yet. Please don't hesitate to point them out. As you can see I am still missing pricing data for 1960 and 1961. Also, the 1961 Executive VI remains a mystery. And who knows where the President V and the Executive V went! They're not in either the 1960 or 1961 catalogs - they jump straight from the IV to the VI models.

Another mystery is Analog Addict's C-33:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1677961&postcount=44

I have it listed in the chassis database I acquired as a 1962 Chadwick II w/ chassis 460-T and 460-A - same as the '62 Custom Electra. But it's not listed in either the '62 catalog or the '62 price list or any other year for that matter.

Much of the credit for the information contained herein should go to "The Fisher Professor" who was able to fill in most of the information I sought. Amazingly, I actually had some information he needed and we were able to help each other out. The chassis information is all his and mostly based on his comprehensive collection. I've had several very pleasant and extremely informative phone conversations with him. He certainly knows his Fishers.

A listing of *hopefully* all Fisher consoles 1945-58 that have been posted about here at AK can be found here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4489655#post4489655

Last edited:
Dude, any chance you could change the blue text on your site to black? (or something else with a bit of contrast with that green background?)
It might be the "little Neanderthal" in me, but I cant read a THING on your site!
Good idea though
WOT

Majority of the pictures loaded and linked. 1964 will take some time but will be fun as they are the best color images. Hope this will be of interest to the Fisher fans out there.

I am slowly learning how to read and write HTML. I know there must be easier ways of doing this than the way I'm doing it. But my way is working - at least on my computer - after multiple attempts. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Google has yet to index it but I have no idea how long that can take or what criteria the "spiders" look at. It's been fun but very labor intensive.

Look at the list prices for the ones at the top end. Wow! $2700 back in 1962, that's more than some people made in a year back then. And I think some cars new went for less too.

This is just Outstanding! Thanks for the info. I have it bookmarked for future reference.

Again Thanks!

I'll add a link on my site. I can contribute scanned service info for some, if you decide to add it.

Nice job. I recently finished scanning my 1955 brochures so they are ready for upload if you want them. They include info on the Jensen and what looks like Altec duplex speakers.

OK...I think I've got all the major mistakes fixed and the pictures from 1964 uploaded and linked. Whew!

Perhaps this will spark a discussion on the evolution of the console: Mono to Stereo, Tube to Transistor......

Why did "Modern" styling give way to "Contemporary"?

How much influence did the Ad Men have over the product? (I can't wait for the next season of "Mad Men"!) What advances were being incorporated into these things that didn't ever get hyped?

And what effect, if any, did the events of the late 50's and early 60's have on Fisher's design, marketing and sales?

Fisher introduced what it claimed was the "first truly stereophonic radio-phonograph and tape recorder" in 1956 - The President I. Everyone sure liked Ike. I don't imagine that model name would generate many sales these days. Look at the rest of the model names: Executive, Statesman, Ambassador...with connotations of leadership, dignity, tradition, stability...And then, in 1963, introducing: 'The Regent' - only one step down from The President. An allusion to Camelot? By '65 'The Regent' is gone. Dallas?

I heard somewhere that Kennedy had a Fisher console. Can anyone confirm that?

It's late. I've been too deeply immersed in this for my own good.

Duffinator said:
Nice job. I recently finished scanning my 1955 brochures so they are ready for upload if you want them. They include info on the Jensen and what looks like Altec duplex speakers.
Cool! Information on Fisher stuff from the 50's is hard to come by and the speaker info is a bonus. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Tom Bavis said:
I'll add a link on my site. I can contribute scanned service info for some, if you decide to add it.
If the service info is stored somewhere I can link to, I'd be happy to add it. That would certainly make the site a lot more useful to folks. Thanks, Tom.

I have a few Fisher scans here: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/hifistuff.html

and have these Sams folders scanned...

Fisher 100
Fisher 100R
Fisher 101R
Fisher 30-A
Fisher 202 series (mono - schem only)
Fisher 202-T tuner/pre
Fisher 400C preamp
Fisher 500 (mono)
Fisher 50A
Fisher 800C (schem only)
Fisher 80AZ
Fisher 80-R, 80-T
Fisher 90C
Fisher 90-T
Fisher FM-40
Fisher FM-80
Fisher MPX-10
Fisher PR-6 phono preamp
Fisher SA-300
Fisher TA800
Fisher X-101
Fisher X-101B
Fisher X-202B

Wow, Great work, Great Info!

There is one on my local CL, that should have the following: Chassis: 480-T, 460-A

Anyway to get info on the components?

Thanks!

Wow, Great work, Great Info!

There is one on my local CL, that should have the following: Chassis: 480-T, 460-A

Anyway to get info on the components?

Thanks!
I might have a source for schematics for both of those if you end up getting what I assume is a '62 Custom Electra V. What style cabinet?

Wow, the first time someone actually uses my website for its intended purpose and I'm already giving out misinformation. The chassis should be 460-T, 460-A. I'll fix that right away, sorry.

It's listed as a Custom Electra V (model E46). It looks to be in good shape. They are asking too much . I sent am email as it's close to me, I'll report back.

Here's a pic:
fconsole1.jpg

460-T Tuner Preamp and 460-A stereo amp. Power supply of the amp is designed for the load of the amp and the companion tuner-preamp.

460-T turns everything on-off; amp needs to have a connection jumpered to work alone and also needs to have an additional load added to the power supply to compensate for the lack of Tuner-Pre load.

460-A amp: 4 x 6bq5, 2 x 7247, small 8ohm only output transformers. ~12wpc of very sweet sonics. No deep bass to speak of, and rolled off treble, but a very nice midrange.

460-T Tuner Preamp- AM-FM mono, with an outboard MPX unit (MPX-65 ?). Included preamp is stereo.

Best,

Ross

1955 Fisher Brochure

Including the following models: The Custom Electra in Normandy, Chadwick and Rondo cabinets; The Custom Sixty (Series 360) in Hampshire and Allegro cabinets; and the Series 101 Gramophone.

Brochures and scans courtesy Duffinator.

This is beyond the scope of my website but certainly still of interest to Fisher fans.

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19551.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra1955P.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19-1.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19553.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19555.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19-2.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19557.jpg

FisherCustomSixtyCustomElectra19-3.jpg

More '55 Fishers

The Coronet brochure illustrating the Hampshire, Allegro, Provincial and Warwick cabinets.

Again, brochures and scans courtesy Duffinator.

FisherCoronetModelBrochure1955Cover.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure19552.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure1955Pg3.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure19554.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure1955Pg5.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure19556.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure19557.jpg

FisherCoronetModelBrochure19558.jpg

does anyone have an idea which amp is in the model 101 gramophones? i might have a line on one...

460-T Tuner Preamp and 460-A stereo amp. Power supply of the amp is designed for the load of the amp and the companion tuner-preamp.

460-T turns everything on-off; amp needs to have a connection jumpered to work alone and also needs to have an additional load added to the power supply to compensate for the lack of Tuner-Pre load.

460-A amp: 4 x 6bq5, 2 x 7247, small 8ohm only output transformers. ~12wpc of very sweet sonics. No deep bass to speak of, and rolled off treble, but a very nice midrange.

460-T Tuner Preamp- AM-FM mono, with an outboard MPX unit (MPX-65 ?). Included preamp is stereo.

Best,

Ross

attachment.php

I have the 460T/460A/MPX-70 combination. It is next up on the list for bench work, but I would greatly appreciate any and all leads on schematics, especially for the 460A, but I'd love to have any or all of them. As far as the mods needed for 460A stand alone duty, here's a quote off the yahoo fisher group....

Briefly the most immediate thing that needs addressing is the
interdependence of the amp with the companion preamp/tuner unit. The bias
system for the 4 6BQ5 output tubes is used to supply the 3 12AX7s in the
preamp/tuner with their dc filament supply. One side of the bias pot goes
through a 1/2 watt resistor (don't recall the value) to one of the wires on
the 12 pin female connector. On the preamp end of this connector the circuit
runs through 3 12AX7 filaments (approximately 30 to 35 volts dc). You must
cut that circuit and replace it with about a 300 ohm to 350 ohm 10 watt
resistor under the chassis of the power amp. The other side of the large
resistor goes to ground. What this does is eliminate the dependency of the
units, but it also creates heat under the chassis. I have thought a more
elegant way to do this might be to defeat the ac filament supply for the 2
power amp 7247 tubes, add a 3rd 12AX7 to the power amp someplace (a
"dummy" tube used only for its filament), and run this circuit through all 3
filaments similar to original. This would "upgrade" the ac filament supply
of the 7247s to dc (although I don't really know if this is an upgrade or
not - opinions welcome - I have not actually done this but was thinking
about it as it would remove the heat from under the chassis).

Other things I've done are to upgrade the 4 output coupling caps. I've
upgraded the 2 rectifier diodes to modern better soft recovery types. I've
replaced the input rca jacks with gold plated jobs from Radio Shack. And
there were small ceramic capacitors across the speaker outputs which I
clipped off - if anyone knows what they do please let me know but it sounds
better without them.

Hope this helps. Don't do it unless you're comfortable with the subject
matter though. The voltages under the chassis are high and dangerous.

does anyone have an idea which amp is in the model 101 gramophones? i might have a line on one...
in fact, it's now in the back of my truck. sounding wonderful, with some very old valvo el84s and a recap back in '04.

says it's a chassis no. "50". push-pull mono integrated amp with a 5y3gt rectifier and a HUGE transformer.

can't wait to get it pulled out and inspected properly...then there'll be pics.

Back
Top Bottom