Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
I've been trying to put together a table of Fisher console models from the golden years of Hi-Fi (from the advent of stereo through the transition to transistors). Here's what I've got so far. The models underlined are the transistorized series, the models in red were offered with reel-to-reel tape players. The wattage indicated is 'peak', the only specification given consistently (twice RMS according to the catalogs). The length is that of the longest cabinet style.

I have the price list only for 1965, which I used as the primary indicator of model order. I also used wattage and size as well but there were some oddities such as the 1961 Coronet II which had more watts but was smaller than that year's Statesman. My guess is that it was a mid-line model but without a price list I can't be sure. The '63, '64 and '65 catalogs contain an overall listing so those model orders are fairly definitive.

1965 Fisher Console Pricing:

President..........$2795
Executive..........$1795-1845
Ambassador......$945-1045
Futura..............$845-895
Custom Electra...$645-695
Diplomat...........$545-595
Philharmonic......$400-450
Allegro..............$250-350

Any help with 1959, 1960 or prices would be appreciated.

Note: As of Dec. 6, 2011 my ISP is discontinuing their web page hosting so the original Fisher Consoles 1958-1965 website will no longer exist. However, all the data from that website and more is available at the the following website which is maintained by AK member Jonboy55. (Actually, it seems to have disappeared earlier than was originally announced. 11/28/11)

****Updated information (2010): http://fisherconsoles.com/

****Link to page with catalog links: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3009237#post3009237

****I can never remember where this post is so I'll put it here: 3 Years of Fisher Consoles

Here you will find a master listing arranged by year and model of all posts on Fisher consoles 1959-65 (and beyond) owned by AK members:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4490618#post4490618

(This link is intended to supersede the previous one.)

FisherConsolescwkWP3.jpg

Last edited:
very nice...
first time seeing any info about series of fisher consoles.
i wonder what components are in those consoles.

if you can put together the list with all those information, it'll be heck of a sticky material.

That is very good work. Let us hope that some AK members can provide photographs, that would be a nice touch.

Somewhere in my pc I have a bunch of advertisements for the series of consoles from Fisher with pictures. I thought I saved them from this forum? I will try to find them and post them later tonight.

Sal Brisindi

I think I have all the papers on my Ambassador. I'll try to dig them up and post a pic. Nice work on the chart and cool Avatar.

I am not the original poster who scanned these advertisements. I saved them on my computer because these were cool. I thought these were posted on this forum about 6 weeks ago.

Here they are.

Regards,
Sal Brisindi

1964.jpg

Amb1.jpg

Amb2.jpg

Electra2.jpg

Futura1.jpg

Futura2.jpg

Dip1.jpg

Dip2.jpg

Phil1.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

man, i'd love to find one of those allegro consoles, complete...that's a beauty.

very nice...
first time seeing any info about series of fisher consoles.
i wonder what components are in those consoles.
if you can put together the list with all those information, it'll be heck of a sticky material.
My ultimate goal is to create a table with all of the information you suggest and publish it online in some form. My biggest challenge is the overall lack of detailed information in Fisher literature. I've spent quite a few hours hunting online but there's not much out there.

My next hurdle is how to organize and make this data available. The best I've come up with so far is to create the table in a word processing format, print it to PDF, convert that to a JPEG and upload it to Photobucket so I can use the IMG links in my post. But you can't search the data in a JPEG so I am open to suggestions for a better way to do this.

The scant information I have so far on what components are in what consoles is primarily from the three Fisher consoles I acquired last year: 1960 Fisher Premiere is built around the TA-600 receiver and the 1960(?) Custom Electra III has a 610-ST tuner/preamp/A channel amp and a 30-A monoblock B channel amp. The 1965 Custom Electra VIII has a solid state output stage but is otherwise all tube. I have to run over to my friend's house where that console resides to get the numbers off the tuner/preamp and the power amp.

Most of the catalogs only show the consoles' exterior with doors closed. But we get a rare peek inside the fabulous 1961 President (what are THOSE [No. 6] monoblocks?):
1961President.jpg

1961President2.jpg

1961President3.jpg

The 1961 Coronet II is built around the 500 S receiver (I think):
corii.jpg

But it also has a 36 watt amp(?):
1961Coronet.jpg

The 1962 Ambassador IV contains these components (can anyone identify them?):
amb.jpg

The 1965 Futura VI contains these components:
futvi.jpg

The 1964-65 Allegro contains these components:
FisherA190AllegroII.jpg

The 1963 Model Lineup:
1963QuickReference.jpg

holy shi*t!!! what an eye candy.
this thread just poured a gallon of gasoline into my furnace of fisher love.:thmbsp:

Identified a few more chassis today. The 1962 Ambassador IV, Futura III and Chatham consoles all had a 480T tuner and 660A amp with a quad of 7591s. The tube layout is pictured in post #8. Here is Chip HP's thread on his Futura III:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1173601

And the picture from the '62 catalog:

1962FuturaIII.jpg

I think the '62 Ambassador IV with the modern cabinet might be my favorite looking console:

1962AmbassadorIV.jpg

But the Chatham has to be one of the most interesting. Has anyone ever seen or heard one in real life?

1962Chatham.jpg

LincolnTT.jpg

1962Chatham2.jpg

This is a great thread.:yes: Here's my Amabassador, I think it's a 62. The tuner/pre is all tube and the amp is a Hybrid running one 12AX7 and two 6HU8s through interstage TXs to 8 Germanium transistors. I blew up two of the transistors due to a bad bias pot, but I have found replacements. I wanted to keep it stock.:thmbsp: This was my first tube anything and I paid 20 dollars for it (full of Mullards).:D

Jaymanaa, third down from TOTL - very nice. Do you know the chassis #s of your tuner and amp so I can add them to my database? Here is its page from the '65 catalog:

65Ambassador.jpg

does anyone actually have one of those model-70 TT? or seen one in action? that's way too cool!:drool::drool: man, i thought i knew my fisher stuff....

Statesman

Great thread! I have what I think is a Statesman. It is piano black lacquer with a gold and black pair of roll-away doors in front. It uses 2 fisher 100 el37 monoblocks, a 200 (if I remember correctly) preamp/tuner that says only "The Statesman" on it, Garrard slide-out turntable, and speaker system with 12" woofers. The amps are on each side under the speakers. I'll get pictures and serial numbers soon.

Way Cool!
My sister bought the Diplomat II, Modern in about 1964, I think. At the time I thought it was a great stereo, and was blessed that she let me use it. Wonder what it would have sounded like without the basketweave walnut baffles in front of the speakers.
Bob

Great thread! I have what I think is a Statesman. It is piano black lacquer with a gold and black pair of roll-away doors in front. It uses 2 fisher 100 el37 monoblocks, a 200 (if I remember correctly) preamp/tuner that says only "The Statesman" on it, Garrard slide-out turntable, and speaker system with 12" woofers. The amps are on each side under the speakers. I'll get pictures and serial numbers soon.
Looking forward to pictures - you have the poshest Fisher thus far. I goofed in the table for 1961, it should read Statesman II (fixed now). So, unless Fisher skipped a year; your Statesman should be a 1960 model. (I'm really hoping someone out there has a 1960 catalog that they would be willing to scan and post.) Here is the 1961 Statesman complete with potted palm:

61StatesmanII.jpg

Your cabinet sounds like it might be in the Far East Contemporary style but with tambor doors. Here is the 1965 Executive X in that style:

1965Executivex.jpg

Statesman

Yeah, mine looks exactly like the one with the potted palm but in gloss black.

Looking forward to pictures - you have the poshest Fisher thus far. I goofed in the table for 1961, it should read Statesman II (fixed now). So, unless Fisher skipped a year; your Statesman should be a 1960 model. (I'm really hoping someone out there has a 1960 catalog that they would be willing to scan and post.) Here is the 1961 Statesman complete with potted palm:

Your cabinet sounds like it might be in the Far East Contemporary style but with tambor doors. Here is the 1965 Executive X in that style:

This is the Cat's Pajamma's!

This is a wonderful thread! I'm going to use it to make my self a search scrap book. I love my Grundig's but now I'm on the hunt for some Fisher's. Outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom