Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

I recently picked up this early 60's Fisher Ambassador. Cabinet is as nice as can be found. There is a very small multiplex unit with it that wasn't bolted down. I removed it, and the turn table's outer platter as I moved it on it's back. Has a nice 660A amplifier in it that uses 7591's for output. All original tubes that test strong which is nice.

Attachments

• Fisher Console.jpg
    Fisher Console.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Fisher2.jpg
    Fisher2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Fisher3.jpg
    Fisher3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Vendo; Check the back for a heavy paper tube diagram. It will have the Model # on it. Your's is a A60-IP or A60X-IP. If it's a A60X-IP it came from the factory WITH the MPX-200, otherwise it was an A60-IP and the MPX was a $50 option.

If the foam between the main and aux platter on the changer has disintegrated, get some small cell bubblewrap. Cut a circle piece that will fit the inside of the AUX platter. Some 3M spray upholstery adhesive, and you're in business. No more foam crumbles and you have good rumble isolation on the platter.

Larry

There is a '67 Statesman in Denver on CL also.... Is the 31-R super-spectacular?
Or is the beginning of the down-slope of SS?

Vendo; Check the back for a heavy paper tube diagram. It will have the Model # on it. Your's is a A60-IP or A60X-IP. If it's a A60X-IP it came from the factory WITH the MPX-200, otherwise it was an A60-IP and the MPX was a $50 option.

If the foam between the main and aux platter on the changer has disintegrated, get some small cell bubblewrap. Cut a circle piece that will fit the inside of the AUX platter. Some 3M spray upholstery adhesive, and you're in business. No more foam crumbles and you have good rumble isolation on the platter.

Larry

Thanks for all the great information! Here's a photo of the model number. Just has A-60 on it.

Attachments

• Fisher model number.jpg
    Fisher model number.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 32
I've got the same Square with a "P" in it on my '63 Executive Italian Provincial. The MPX on your's was an option.

Without the "X" I'm guessing the MPX was an option. I'll have to get the MPX unit out of storage. It said MPX-70 on it and it is very small.

Here's what it looks like (not mine)

Attachments

• MPX unit.jpg
    MPX unit.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 43
biscuit; Actually FISHER's consoles into the Solid State era were pretty damned good considering they were consoles. Some of the lower ended units were getting receivers installed in them in 67', and the trend continued up thru '69 with the Executive getting the 500-TX as the receiver. The President was still separates. The 1st few years used Germanium transistors (no Silicon's that would handle the power yet) but don't let that stop you. By 69' it was all silicon.

The 31-R is the TOTL all in one for consoles with the large style faceplate like the 65Futura/Ambassador. So it won't make a compact receiver by itself. It's a good well built receiver. Fisher had a few designs, that today with hindisght are picked apart like vultures on a buffalo carcass, but back then were well thought of. Same with Scott, Sherwood, Dynaco, Eico, Heathkit, and just about everyone else who built 1st gen transistorized units.

Styles were changing in the late 60's also. Cabinets became more gaudy, and dark. Wife's still "ruled the roost" for furniture, and this particular style was popular back then . Today, not so much, except for some older folks (I'm 60 so I'm not old enough yet).

But Not for the price they are asking, and definately NOT that cabinet type.

The MPX 70 was an add on for multiple units in the 1962 model year. Here's an excerpt from THERED1's "MPX ADAPTER's" Sticky Thread

Fully anticipating the advent of FM-Stereo-Multiplex, Fisher engineers have included facilities for multiplex conversion in all Fisher stereophonic radio-phonographs. Owners of the Fisher Philharmonic II (P-25), Custom Electra V (E-46), Futura III (F-50), and Ambassador IV (A-60) can easily convert to multiplex by adding the Fisher MPX-70 adaptor. The Executive VII (Model 990) and President VII (Model 7000) are already equipped to receive multiplex stereophonically. All other models can be converted for stereophonic reception of FM-Stereo-Multiplex by the addition of the MPX-100 Universal, the MPX-200, and for some, the MPX-50. Inquire from your Fisher dealer which model to get.

The MPX 70 was an add on for multiple units in the 1962 model year. Here's an excerpt from THERED1's "MPX ADAPTER's" Sticky Thread

Great info! They must have bought the MPX 70 as an add-on. That explains why the unit was not bolted down inside.

The eye tube is a 6GE12A made by TOYO in Japan. Used mainly in old PIONEER sets and the 62 Ambassador. See www.magiceyetubes.com for more info. The 6GE12 is pin for pin swapable. The patterns are different. However there are no other subs for either.

6GE12
attachment.php

6GE12A
attachment.php

From what I've been able to find out, they are extremely hard to get.

Larry

Attachments

• 6ge12.gif
    6ge12.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 6ge12a.gif
    6ge12a.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 109
Yes I noticed the odd eye tube with the square metal center. I wonder if it is still good? Eye tubes seem to be one of the first tubes to go bad...

Just saw an Allegro on the bay... I have one and I'd love to buy another... but NY to CO would be too many miles and too many opportunities for dings-dents-oopsies...

biscuit; Actually FISHER's consoles into the Solid State era were pretty damned good considering they were consoles. Some of the lower ended units were getting receivers installed in them in 67', and the trend continued up thru '69 with the Executive getting the 500-TX as the receiver. The President was still separates. The 1st few years used Germanium transistors (no Silicon's that would handle the power yet) but don't let that stop you. By 69' it was all silicon.

The 31-R is the TOTL all in one for consoles with the large style faceplate like the 65Futura/Ambassador. So it won't make a compact receiver by itself. It's a good well built receiver. Fisher had a few designs, that today with hindisght are picked apart like vultures on a buffalo carcass, but back then were well thought of. Same with Scott, Sherwood, Dynaco, Eico, Heathkit, and just about everyone else who built 1st gen transistorized units.

Styles were changing in the late 60's also. Cabinets became more gaudy, and dark. Wife's still "ruled the roost" for furniture, and this particular style was popular back then . Today, not so much, except for some older folks (I'm 60 so I'm not old enough yet).

But Not for the price they are asking, and definately NOT that cabinet type.

Thanks! I have yet to run into any 60s Fisher solid state stuff yet and I really want to try it out, but I'm a cheap-skate and I'll wait for a better deal.

I have a 1965 Futura Console am currently doing some cabinet work to it, works great. Replaced the original Dual 1015 that came with the unit with a Dual 1237. Console works great, actually sounds real good for transistors. An option of a reel to reel (sony tc 250) will soon be installed.

You working on your '66(F591) or your '68 (F-594)? The '66 came with a 1009. The 68 FUTURA was the lowest model FISHER console with a DUAL. But no mention of what exact model it had.

Larry

Picked up a Futura VI the other day! I'm excited but it needs some work. I'm a newbie with repair/restoration so if anyone sees anything interesting please comment. I'll upload photos as I get this thing into shape! I have a few questions for the good experts here:
1. Anyone know anyone around Central Indiana who could help with what needs doing (e.g., recapping, testing tubes, repairing turntable).
2. One thing I see is that the radio dial string is busted. Anyone know how difficult it is to restring one of these?
3. The turntable is in the worst shape. It's disconnected and I'm not sure what's missing. The rubber mat is missing at least. The turntable power cable is cut. Anyone know where that is supposed to connect to connect to get power?
4. I found a pdf of the service manual online at http://www.fisherconsoles.com, but does anyone have the operators/users manual? I see one for sale on eBay but a digital copy would be awesome if anyone could share. If not I'll buy it and share.
-Mike
IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0141.JPG

Last edited:
mj5150; I would suggest strongly that you start a new thread for your futura, as this thread is a historical archival thread on consoles from 59 to 1965. Repair/restoration specific questions should have their own thread so as to not get lost in the mix or confuse others. Start a new thread and I'll post up some stuff for you contemporary FUTURA which is identical to mine.

Identical 1965 Futura VI Contemporary to mine. The AMP is a HYBRID. 59T is the Tuner, 59A is the AMP.

100_1793.JPG

Just missed what I am fairly sure was a Fisher console. Not exactly a score price on it but it would have been worth picking it up. I'm fairly certain based on face layout it had an X100 and 100r tuner. Any idea what it was?

These are the only photos I have from CL:

console.jpg

console2.jpg

Hope it went to someone that will take care of it....

Blake

Back
Top Bottom