Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

Discussion in 'Fisher Forum Stickies' started by TheRed1, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Paul-J

Paul-J New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is my 1962 cabinet for the fisher 500b. I'm guessing it was custom made as I see nothing like it on this thread.
    Speakers are Whafedales. There was a Garrard Model A in the right side of the main cabinet in a pull out.
    Plenty of drawers. Super well made. Bi fold louver doors on speaker cabinets. There was a large opening in the
    left side where the Thorens now sits that had a large chromed frame about 2" into the opening. I have no idea what would have been there.
    There is a Sony reel to reel in the top right pull out above where the turntable pull is.
    These are not the best pictures. Stumbled on this thread while at work. Cabinet quality and fit is outstanding.[​IMG]

MJ5150 likes this.
  2. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Pic's didn't come thru. In any case FISHER never made a console for the 500b. They did make the 62 Executive based on the 800b (same size so either will fit.). With Wharfdales in the console it should pretty damned good compared to the Jensen's normally in the FISHER's of the time.

3. Paul-J

Paul-J New Member

Pictures show up on my end but I'm new to the forum so.....
    It does sounds pretty darned good !

4. larryderouin

Now they show up. Probably a Barzilay cabinet. There were quite a few custom cabinet makers/custom cabinet kit makers and Barzilay was one of if not the best. That opening where the thorens is could have possibly been for a Reel to Reel chassis sitting upright. Quite a few of them were like that.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Very cool system, Paul-J. One of these days I'll get my hands on a Fisher 400/500/800 without breaking the bank!

Paul-J likes this.
  6. spensar

spensar New Member

Did Fisher have a Thorens TD 124 in any of their consoles or any Thorens? Looking through models on the Fisher website, there appears to be Garrard and Duals but I didn't see Thorens turntables. Looking at a console locally that appears to have a Thorens TD 124 turntable, Fisher X-200 tube amp and km-60 tuner and a reel to reel I can't ID - if that combo is known perhaps someone would have an idea on the reel to reel. The speakers are not built in and it is in a very mid-century modern teak cabinet that I don't see on the Fisher website, so maybe custom. I will try to get pics tomorrow, at least add to the thread.

7. spensar

spensar New Member

Pictures of a very nice Teak Fisher console. It looked to be a home install, as it is a Danish teak crezenda or sideboard that was adapted. The turntable is a Thorens TD 124 with a wooden Grado tonearm, Fisher KX-200 tube Amp, Fisher km-60 Tuner and a Sony 262D reel to reel deck. The Turntable and tape deck plinthes are on sliders. I tried to buy it at auction but it went for a bit more than I was willing to go for "as is" condition. Final out the door price was around $1,000 which is still good value with that table.

I could see in the back and there was good coating of dust on the tubes so a cleaning and likely bit of a refurb was in order. The folks did say they plugged it in and fired it up for a while, which I don't think was the best idea before cleaning things up!

Attached Files:

8. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

$1k is in the range of what the TD124 would sell for by itself on eBay.

I'm going to guess that it's a cabinet from one of the Japanese/Hong Kong custom outfitters. I've never seen a Barzilay that looked anything like that, and the general style (especially the bifold doors on the speaker cabinets) reminds me of some of the other custom cabinet setups that were brought back from Southeast Asia by military officers.

9. spensar

spensar New Member

The TD 124 in this shape with that arm is around $800, so it was a good buy with the amp and tuner. The tape deck is not a high value one though. The equipment will need an overhaul so there is a good opportunity for the buyer to add a lot of value.

10. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

Don't discount the value of that Danish-style teak furniture.

11. Michel Theo

Michel Theo New Member

Any Idea about the following, the year and model, and what it is worth, It also have the reel tapes recorder .

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  12. larryderouin

Michel Theo: No pics come up. Please read the forum rules regarding pricing of items(worth of a piece of gear), sales, etc. on the general forums.