Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

Larry thanks for that info on the WS-1's. I have not opened them yet, but maybe there is a cap in series. It's just a tweeter/mid-range so all you would need is a cap to prevent low freq damage.
The Coronet 808 Service Manual (chassis 10001 - 29999) shows the WS-1's connected to the 8 ohm tap of the SA16 as image below.
The Coronet C55 Service Manual (chassis 30001-39999) does not show the WS-1 at all in the schematic, but my unit has the jacks and in looking at the pics I took before disassembly there is indeed a connection made to both the 8 ohm and 16 ohm tap of the SA16 as shown in the Coronet 808 SM.
808_spkr_sch.jpg
Also my unit is a Coronet C55W. It is not a Coronet II. The fisherconsoles.com website is great and quite helpful (thank you!), but erroneously shows the C55 as being the same as the Coronet II. I believe there were 3 versions of the Coronet consoles sold in similar cabinets.
  • Coronet C808 (serial 10001-29999)
  • Coronet C55 (serial 30001-39999) (my unit)
  • Coronet II.
Coronet II was an integrated amp and did not include the separate power amp. That the Coronet II was an integrated amp can be confirmed by looking at the speaker output connections shown in figure 5 page 8 of the Coronet II Owners Manual.

Matt

Found some more info. Billboard Magazine published an annual "Phonograph Directory" each fall which included everything from little cheapo record players up to the $2595 Fisher 3000 console. The directories are sorted by price range. These are great for identifying old consoles. Some units had both model numbers and names like the Coronet. Americanradiohistory.com has most available online, but they request not to link them as they change the links often. You can find the Billboard Magazines listed under Music Magazines>Music Industry>Billboard

Some "Phonograph Directories" I found are:
  • Billboard Sept 14, 1959 (1960 models include Fisher 808, 36 watts, starting at $695 (solid wood $745)
  • Billboard Sept 19, 1960 (1961 models include Fisher C55, 40 watts, starting at $795)
  • Billboard Oct 2, 1961 (1962 models....image quality very poor)
I am curious about the 36 watt rating of the 808 vs the 40 watt rating of the C55 considering both used the SA16?

Matt

A little while ago I searched newspaper ads and it is clear that dealers began advertising the Coronet II in October 1960. It came in the exact same cabinets as the C55 and 808 and included a 36 watt power amp. Based on the rear panel figure from the owners manual I thought it had to be an integrated amp, but NO NO NO. What isn't clear to me is WHY the Coronet II owners manual shows a completely different rear panel (fig 5, page 8)? What am I missing? Did the Coronet II use a different preamp/tuner combo or a different version of the 100T? I'm confused?????

Coronet II rear panel
c2_rear.jpg

Coronet C55 rear panel
c55_rear.jpg

Last edited:
Your missing the Fact that the C-55 Coronet II came with A.) the 101T Tuner/Preamp with the SA-16, or B.) the 500S Receiver. All Coronets for that year(1961) were C-55's. And all Coronets that were C-55's were Designated as Coronet II. My C-55-P (Provincial Fruitwood) Cabinet originally had a 500S in it.
Note: We've been able to determine that Model Years Start in SEPT and End in AUG. So the 1961 Model year Started Sept 1960 and Ended Aug.1961. They had to have inventory built up for the Sept Kick off so the '61 models started coming off the line in April or so and got placed in the Warehouses until 3-4 weeks before the Model year change. Dealers were not allowed to sell them before the 1st of Sept. Fisher used quite a few of the same cabinets multiple years in different lines. Take a look at the Modern Cabinet for the Presidents and Executives. 2-3 years minimum before they changed styles. And this was carried down as far as the Lowly Diplomat.

As for the Discrepancy between the 808 with the SA-16 and the C55 with the 500-S. Both are 7189 based, but the 500S was Rated 20W per channel, vs. 18W per channel for theSA-16. The Receivers were pushed to the edge of the envelope and sometimes beyond.

Hi Larry, Well that explains it and thank you. As confused as I've been it must have been just as confusing to customers and dealers at the time. One model number with two completely different equipment versions. Were both versions of the C55 made simultaneously and for different price points? How would a dealer know what version he was ordering? I would assume the 100T/SA16 version cost more? Does your C55P have a 500S tube layout label affixed to the console, i.e. how do you know it had a 500S in it originally? Is the space for the SA16 incorporated into the speaker enclosure or just left empty?

When I made the deal with the estate I assumed it had the SA16. I made the deal without ever seeing the backside. I tried to find out if it had the power amp, but the person I was talking to didn't know so when she told me it worked I said what the heck and agreed to the deal. Lucked out getting the SA16 version and had no idea it had the Spacexpander so that was a complete surprise. I have lots of component pieces, but never owned a Fisher console before. Most of the stuff I own was purchased because it somehow or another was an opportunity that just happened along at the right time....Karma or something! When looking at the old newspaper ads I saw a used equipment for sale classified ad in an Oak Park paper from 1955 selling a Fisher Coronet in Hampshire cabinet so Fisher must have used the Coronet name for a long time.

Think of it like this. You are ordering a 1961 Chevy Belair. You want the 409. Which version of the 409. The Standard single 4 BBL(Sa-16/100T) or the Monster with Dual quads(500S). It's still a Belair with a 409, but you order a certain different RPO Code for either one.

Fisher started using the "CORONET" Moniker in 1950. I have a 1951 Coronet Model WR-11. Look at the 1945 to 1958 Fisher consoles Thread. There is a list of "Distinguished" Owners with their console listed with links to threads for each. Same thing for this thread.

I would presume that the order slip used full english to order gear, so the dealer would either call or write in the order for a C-55 with either a 100t/SA16 or 500S. As the front panel cutout was the same size for the 500s and the 100T, the cabinets were identical. When this C55 console came up for sale, I couldn't make the full price for it, and the guy was gonna part it out anyway, So I got there as he was pulling the 500s out, and got the cabinet. There is a "pocket" outside of the speaker enclosure for the SA-16.

From everything we've been able to discern the price was the same for either version.

I didn't even notice there was a "photographs" tab at the fisherconsole.com site. Clicked on it and up popped a very nice C55-Provincial built with the 500S. The label says C55-B....maybe that was to identify it as the second series production of the C55? No pocket in the speaker for the SA16 either. Thanks for the education. Will start paying more attention to consoles at estate sales.

I just today picked up what I believe to be a 1959 The Fisher Contemporary II C-810 with the R-30S chassis! Excellent cosmetic condition and it works flawlessly! I have a 1946 Zenith, a 1964 Zenith a 1949 Westinghouse and a 1963 Philco console and this The Fisher blows them all out of the water! The sound is amazing and this was a mid level unit at best.. The R-30S has the sweet Micro Ray Tuning! Of the many vintage pieces I've acquired this is by far my favorite. The serial # on the R-30S is 31863 B
By the way great thread! Truly a wealth of information!

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0093.PNG
    IMG_0093.PNG
    144.3 KB · Views: 37
I wish Fishers consoles weren't so hard to find around here. Seems like they sold a bunch of them in the northeast. They're either too far away to practically retrieve or gone fast. Had a 66 Fisher Ambassador with the contemporary style pop up near me the other day that had a bad chalk paint that needed removal but it was fixable and the price was good. It was already gone by the time the seller got back to me (with a promotion of their finishing service). Hope someone doesn't turn it into mini bar. I hope I can find one eventually.

Sweet! This thread has long deserved a place of honor, given the time, effort and love that has gone into it, especially on Red's part...:thmbsp:

Here's to Red!....:beerchug:

3 Cheers, and all the Love and 10 tractor-trailers of Karma is not enough for me as a token of my appreciation to TheRed1 and what he gives us on Fisher knowledge, especially on those consoles we know and love. I am glad to quit just admiring Fisher consoles, and now being a caretaker of one, and my 47 years of wanting one for me. Truer words have never been said. Once you heard your first Fisher console, you have to own one. KT's law!!! I am glad to be a caretaker and preservationist. And I named mine Avery at that.

Perchdog: SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!! Even tore apart it looks absolutely stunning.

Might be a bit big for the room, tho. You want to trade for a CUSTOM ELECTRA VIII?:para: Just a few inches shorter..... just kidding.

WELCOME to the CLUB! Such as it is.
Larry

Nothing wrong with a Custom Electra VIII. I am darned proud to be the caretaker/owner/listener of one. A dream came true with one finding me. 47 years after I heard my first one.

Finally got tired of having to contort my tired old body into a pretzel to play a cassette or a cd on my FUTURA. I had them stuffed in the bottom of the cabinet.

Went down to Lowes and got a couple of brackets, double row uprights, some #12x3" screws, and a 3/4"x16"x36 shelf. Screwed the uprights into studs, attached the brackets, and hung the shelf, AFTER I put the bracket 5 notches down from the top and hung off the bracket(all 172#'s of me.). If each will take my weight, combined they will take an AKAI GX-370, a PIONEER CTF 4242, and a DV-440. All tied into a Realistic Tape Control Center screwed to the back of the FISHER FUTURA CONSOLE. And that is plugged into the Tape Monitor on the Futura. The tape decks are at eye level now, I have LP Storage back in the FUTURA, and I can if needed add shelves.

100_1252.jpg

100_1251.jpg

Yeah that's AK on the Laptop. The Headphones are PRO-4A's I bought in early1970 as a Freshman in HS. And there is a splicing block in front of the GX-370.

Larry

This is a true sign you love your Fisher Consoles and your AK. It's to our benefit you do so. I am a fan and your friend. And extend my thanks on you and TheRed1's knowledge base on our beloved consoles, and their history, preservation, and their service and maintenance. Cheers!!!

Did Fisher have a Thorens TD 124 in any of their consoles or any Thorens? Looking through models on the Fisher website, there appears to be Garrard and Duals but I didn't see Thorens turntables. Looking at a console locally that appears to have a Thorens TD 124 turntable, Fisher X-200 tube amp and km-60 tuner and a reel to reel I can't ID - if that combo is known perhaps someone would have an idea on the reel to reel. The speakers are not built in and it is in a very mid-century modern teak cabinet that I don't see on the Fisher website, so maybe custom. I will try to get pics tomorrow, at least add to the thread.

No factory produced Fisher console I am aware of was factory fitted with a Thorens. I think there may have been a Philharmonic pre-Fisher Radio which had a Thorens Concert changer as an optional. Your console is most likely a Barzilay, Bozak, or similar type custom furniture cabinet with that installation.

Hi folks: We recently found locally a '61? Custom Electra E-44 with 440T and 440A innards.
Is there a scan here or somewhere of the sales brochure for '61 Fisher consoles?
I don't have a week to look through 29 pages, or all the other posts! lol
Thanks a lot, this is a great resource!!
Sue

...recently found locally a '61? Custom Electra..Is there a scan here or somewhere of the sales brochure for '61 Fisher consoles?
I don't have a week to look through 29 pages, or all the other posts! lol

If it's worth it to you make the effort, probably take you an hour or 2 or you could just search "1961 Fisher Stereo Console brochures"

Thanks for stating the obvious... I did that and found pics, owners manuals, service manuals, schematics, links, but NO scans of sales brochures...even went back and looked at all 29 pages too...nada, Any potential links were inoperative.
Would anyone care to be actually helpful?
Sue

Last edited:
rmunson thank you kindly for that link.
It does have the '60 consoles, our '61 is slightly different in styling and has the 440a stereo amp and 440t stereo tuner/preamp, while the '60 model had either a 510 mono amp w/ stereo tuner preamp with a 30a mono amp for the other channel OR was available (later int he model year?) with a 310 stereo tuner preamp and SA-16 stereo amp, either way functionally a very different animal from the '60 model year.

Someone must have a '61 catalog showing consoles they can scan...hopefully!
(We have a '61 Fisher "components" catalog, a few are also used in top of line consoles like Executive and President.)

I was obsessed with a 61 Electra amp and tuner chassis for awhile that fisherconsoles website is great -
There is one for sale in my area - there was a time when having a complete Fisher console was my dream - but they are too expensive - I lowered my bracket to 70s solid state Magnavox consoles -

munson, keep looking! we paid $100 for out CE IV in nice working shape and an excellent cabinet just last month, so just check Craigslist and Facebook market regularly!

Back
Top Bottom