Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

Practicing good catch-and-release etiquette, I helped find this pair of Fisher Custom Electras good new homes. Here's Sandi with her 1965 Custom Electra VIII (49-A amp, 49-T tuner & a Dual 1010 TT):

CESP.jpg

And Janet with her 1960 Custom Electra III (610-ST pre/tuner/A channel amp, 30-A B Channel amp & Garrard 210 TT):

JCCE.jpg

The tube layout diagram for the 610-ST and 30-A:

2.jpg

Hi:
Do you have any info on 55 to 60 consoles?
A friend had a 56 model , I think , in his store and I would like to indetify it if possible. It had a Fisher tuner and an Ampex Tape recorder among other compmnents.
Thank You
Edward Lipman

edlipman,

If you can post a picture I bet somebody will be able to ID it. The fact that it has an Ampex in it means it's one of the higher end models - is it stereo or mono?

ID help....

Great thread! I was wondering if you could ID the console type that this set up came from.

attachment.php

I bought all the electronics, but they were already stripped from the console. Also, would you have a suggestion as to where I could find a Sam's for it? I'm stuck part way through the restoration.....:sigh:

Hey Red:
I am going from memory here , about 50 years worth , so I don't know.
If I saw a pic. I might remember the model.
Thanks again
Edward Lipman

Analog Addict,

Thanks for posting your tube layout - every scrap of information helps. Is the console model number C-33 or is there a digit missing in the fold/tear? The "C" may indicate that the model name started with that letter, like the Coronet. That's not always true but if you look at the model lineup for 1965 at the end of post #6 - it's fairly consistent. My 1960 Premiere's model number is F220-P so that's a little weird but I have reason to suspect that it was sold through a military PX. It may be the military version of a Futura, hence the "F". As far as the Sam's number, I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Don't know about the model number as far as any missing digits. I could take a picture of the pre-amp face plate if that would help.

I also have a 440T tuner/preamp that I bought on speculation that I could use it to help me with the restore, but it may wind up just as a tube/knob donor. However, that faceplate is very similar.....:dunno:

man, i'd love to find one of those allegro consoles, complete...that's a beauty.

I just spotted one on the San Diego Craigslist. From the photos it appears to be complete and decent-looking, but it's not working. Seller says he thinks it just needs more tubes. I'm not planning on putting in an offer, no room at home to slip another big cabinet past the wife.

Do you guys have any info on other company's that used Fisher componets in there consoles?

I have a rough accusti-craft console that had a fisher 800c, gerard turntable, EV 15trx speakers, and a Sony tube real to real [maybe added later?] This was three piece unit with the speakers in there own matching cabnets.

Sorry model info was gone from the back but I do have the bones of this one. It came with a Fisher 400 and I stripped out the electronics.

Pretty good shape and the box console itself (not the guts) is free to anyone in the Washington DC area who wants it. Has a glass top too.

Attachments

• fisherconsole.jpg
    fisherconsole.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 188
For the life of me, I just can't understand why someone would want to destroy these beautiful consoles, just to make a few bucks and make it easier for shipment.

It's like the organ donar market in China. Kill the person in order to carve up and sell the organs to prospective buyers. Truely ugly dealings.

Fishers are very special to me! I grew up with a model 50 phonograph that my mom purchased by saving money on the groceries in the mid-50's. Later, after FM came to town (Oklahoma City) in 1959, Dad added a Pilot tuner

Mom still has it, Dad had it restored before he died and I'm having the tuner fixed and re-aligned and have added a CD player.

Next i'd like to find an SS-55 extra speaker for it, so we can fill the double parlor of her 1911 American Foursquare with music this Christmas.

IN the meantime, for myself i'd like a early 50's Electra with the "Presence" and "Brilliance" controls, perhaps with the extra speaker as well.

This is a great thread!

thanks for the tons of info

Brock

What a great thread. It brings back memories of my grandmother's console. However, I think it was a Zenith and not a Fisher. Now I want one!

Fishers are very special to me! I grew up with a model 50 phonograph that my mom purchased by saving money on the groceries in the mid-50's. Later, after FM came to town (Oklahoma City) in 1959, Dad added a Pilot tuner

Mom still has it, Dad had it restored before he died and I'm having the tuner fixed and re-aligned and have added a CD player.

Next i'd like to find an SS-55 extra speaker for it, so we can fill the double parlor of her 1911 American Foursquare with music this Christmas.

IN the meantime, for myself i'd like a early 50's Electra with the "Presence" and "Brilliance" controls, perhaps with the extra speaker as well.

This is a great thread!

thanks for the tons of info

Brock
That really says a lot that your family's model 50 is still filling your Mom's house with music and has been loved and cared for over the years.....and even updated with a CD player. I don't have much information on the 50's Fishers but I did post some scans of Duffinator's 1955 brochures here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763471&postcount=15

And here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763497&postcount=17

Nothing on the model 50, though. If you have any pictures I'd sure like to see them. And good luck on your quest - you don't see too many 50s Fisher consoles come up for sale these days.

A bit more info....

Analog Addict,

Thanks for posting your tube layout - every scrap of information helps. Is the console model number C-33 or is there a digit missing in the fold/tear? The "C" may indicate that the model name started with that letter, like the Coronet. That's not always true but if you look at the model lineup for 1965 at the end of post #6 - it's fairly consistent. My 1960 Premiere's model number is F220-P so that's a little weird but I have reason to suspect that it was sold through a military PX. It may be the military version of a Futura, hence the "F". As far as the Sam's number, I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Joined the Fisher Group on yahoo, and did some research on my 460 set up. Turns out according to one of the members that the console was a Model C-33 Chadwick. I couldn't find that model on your list. Is it earlier than 1959 perhaps?

Joined the Fisher Group on yahoo, and did some research on my 460 set up. Turns out according to one of the members that the console was a Model C-33 Chadwick. I couldn't find that model on your list. Is it earlier than 1959 perhaps?

I found the C-33 listed in a chassis database I acquired from the FisherProf as a 1962 Chadwick having a 460-T tuner and a 460-A amp. Incidentally, the '62 Custom Electra also has those two chassis so it is possible that the Chadwick was just a re-badged Custom Electra. It is not listed in the 1962 Fisher catalog or price list but it may have been manufactured for a specific dealer such as the console in the upper right corner of this Jan. 1959 Liberty Music Shops ad:
LibertyConsoleAd1959.jpg

Reg. $599.50, on sale for $399.50 - there is nothing in Fisher's '58 or '59 catalog or price lists that resembles this console in any way. So there are definitely Fisher consoles out there that do not appear in Fisher's literature. I'll have to eventually add an "oddballs" section to my website to give these guys a home.

no offense to fisher lovers, but what i find most interesting is that the pilot console there is the most expensive (excepting the one fisher "executive" console, but that has the ampex tape recorder). it's the c-1080, with the 12" woofers. nearly identical to my c-1090, except the 1090 has 15" woofers.

cool ad, red1.

That really says a lot that your family's model 50 is still filling your Mom's house with music and has been loved and cared for over the years.....and even updated with a CD player. I don't have much information on the 50's Fishers but I did post some scans of Duffinator's 1955 brochures here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763471&postcount=15

And here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1763497&postcount=17

Nothing on the model 50, though. If you have any pictures I'd sure like to see them. And good luck on your quest - you don't see too many 50s Fisher consoles come up for sale these days.

The model 101 provincial is identical outwardly, so Mom's may be a year or two later.

I agree, the big Pilot in that ad is nice as well!

Anyone notice the

Executive 1 listed in that ad? MSRP of $$1695.00? To put that into perspective, a 1962 Austin Mini Cooper S had an original base MSRP of $1,295, which in today's dollars would be $9,078.

So that Executive 1 would be well north of 10 grand in todays dollars.

These consoles were not for the guy bagging groceries at the local A&P.....:no:

It just goes to show what a bargain vintage gear is these days....:thmbsp:

no offense to fisher lovers, but what i find most interesting is that the pilot console there is the most expensive (excepting the one fisher "executive" console, but that has the ampex tape recorder). it's the c-1080, with the 12" woofers. nearly identical to my c-1090, except the 1090 has 15" woofers.
None taken. Pilot, Fisher, Stromberg-Carlson....and I'm sure there were plenty of other less familiar high-quality console manufacturers that only rarely surface these days. I just try to limit my focus to one brand (Fisher) to keep that aspect of my personality from taking complete control. It's bad enough as it is.

I went back and read the thread on your C-1090 - very cool. I didn't see any pictures, though; and the ad doesn't really do it justice....

Back
Top Bottom