Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

is this a president or a regent?

i am in contact with someone that has this console. it's the r-200 tuner and the x-202-b integrated amp, with an ampex 1250 rtr and a dual 1015 turntable.

based on carter's site http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/ the two side-by-side units with the slide-out drawers matches the modern version of the president VIII 8000 from '63. but the equipment listed matches the regent 5000 from the same year, though it calls for a miracord rather than dual turntable.

also, what kind of speaker is that pictured? huge, with some sort of crossover box at the bottom?

so is the pictured a president or a regent? i am still trying to negotiate a price, to see if it's worth my while to do some driving.

Attachments

• 01020101040001030520080729fb18e1a5bdf327451d000095.jpg
    01020101040001030520080729fb18e1a5bdf327451d000095.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 011503010207010300200807292b9571833106c167c40006be.jpg
    011503010207010300200807292b9571833106c167c40006be.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 01030201160701040920080729140ed3723d7ebd41ee00d9b0.jpg
    01030201160701040920080729140ed3723d7ebd41ee00d9b0.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 227
  • stereo 001.jpg
    stereo 001.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 175
  • stereo 003.jpg
    stereo 003.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 211
  • stereo 009.jpg
    stereo 009.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 181
Bill, that one's got me stumped. The cabinet doesn't match anything in the Fisher literature I've collected. And the speaker configuration doesn't match any of the '63s but it is definitely presidential. I'd drive a couple of hundred miles for a console of that caliber.

It might be the case where a furniture maker custom built a console around some high-end Fisher components. I've run across ads for companies like Gray Sound Corp. and B. Altman who probably built some very nice pieces. The ad below is from Nov. 1958.
20.jpg

GraySoundCorpNov58.jpg

I too was mystified. It appeared to have all the '63 Regent electronics, but laid out in the President manner. Interesting indeed.

maybe they wanted the integrated amp, and the tuner/tape player/turntable per spec, but liked this particular presidential cabinet? because, if it is made to order, it's pretty on song to the presidential *cabinet*.

i doubt i'll be able to get this, unless it's a *great* deal and someone local to it can store it for me...i will try and work on it :)

maybe they wanted the integrated amp, and the tuner/tape player/turntable per spec, but liked this particular presidential cabinet? because, if it is made to order, it's pretty on song to the presidential *cabinet*.

i doubt i'll be able to get this, unless it's a *great* deal and someone local to it can store it for me...i will try and work on it :)

My advice would be to do everything , within reason, to obtain it. And I would retain the console, because access is from the front, not the top. Also, the presence of the X202B and R200 are very desirable. And too, the console is very nice indeed. I would, however, replace the grill clothe, and come up with something really elegant there. I would be more than interested if I lived on the Left Coast, but I don't. :no:

I'm staring at a listing for a 1961 Philharmonic Modern, near mint, FM out, slow to come on. The seller wants too much ($200), but I'm considering making an offer.

Any ideas what to look for in this unit? Any unusual problems to be alert to?

01010401020601160720080817631ed69e731b7221fe00ee7d.jpg

From the photo there don't appear to be any legs. It should have legs. From the catalog photo here the legs look exactly like the ones from the 1960 Custom Electra III I worked on. If so, they have bolts with odd shaped heads that fit into slots in metal plates screwed to the bottom of the cabinet. When you twist the leg the bolt threads deeper into the leg and is supposed to tighten against the back of the plate. But it took me several tries to make all the legs really secure and it seemed like it wouldn't be too difficult to strip, bend or break something. Make sure they have all the parts and that nothing is damaged.

I don't know anything about the P-22 chassis but someone apparently spent some real money on this exact console that was for sale at an electronic repair shop in Arizona. (Do a search for Fisher Philharmonic P-22) It was completely restored, however, and somebody probably heard it, fell in love and paid too much. If the cabinet is in good shape with all its legs; a fair price for a restoration project might be in the $50-100 range IMO. But remember this is a low end model and one of the biggest differences between Fisher models is the quality of their cabinets.

AA: Thems the same as mine in my Custom Electra V Model E-46
from 1962........MPX-70 included. I got mine up and it sounds wonderful. The transformer was NOT cooked - hallelujah. I've sent off for a service manual for it -- $30, but I'll run you copies of the correct schematics when I get it.............best, steve

AA: Thems the same as mine in my Custom Electra V Model E-46
from 1962........MPX-70 included. I got mine up and it sounds wonderful. The transformer was NOT cooked - hallelujah. I've sent off for a service manual for it -- $30, but I'll run you copies of the correct schematics when I get it.............best, steve

Steve,
Lemme know when you get the S.M. for it. Even though my set up came without the console, I have half a mind to try and restore all the electronics and perhaps either build a custom enclosure, or modify one of the other consoles I have sitting around to fit the guts.

My set came chock full of Telefunken and Mullard tubes, and I would bet that it would sound wonderful when restored and up and running.....:music:

Fisher 1962 E-46 Classic Electra V

TheRed1: Since you're gathering info, here's a pix of
the E-46 in dark, modern style. I would rate its shape as good for 46 yrs old. Every tube in it but one is the original Fisher tube -- speaks to the quality. It is now repaired and the sound is wonderful, crisp, and full. Serial # of the console is #23004D (make sense? - the last zero is a guess.) MPX serial# 13395. It has the MPX but the the model # does not have the -X after E-46 supposedly to signify the MPX option. You have done a magnificent job trying to get a grip on all the consoles - I congratulate you.
Your compilation is terrific. If you need any more info, just let me know.
best, steve:thmbsp:

Attachments

• E-46 Console1.jpg
    E-46 Console1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 192
Just beautiful Steve! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. :music:

Red:

I'll pull serial #'s off mine and post them here as well.

Dave

Red:

Here's the info I could find on my '63 Custom Electra (E-48):
  • Style : French Provincial
  • Finished in Fruitwood
  • Serial from the tube layout sheet : 15880B
  • Serial on the 490-T chassis : 15880B
  • Serial on the 480-A chassis : 12623A
  • Garrard AT6 Turntable

Dave

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 256
Hi, Any love for a 1965 Electra? I can pick one up cheap...its transistorised and I'm a tube guy....anyone have an opinion on this? was this the first year of the hybrid amps?
Cool thanks
Kirk

I've heard a '66 Custom Electra which is nearly identical to the '65. I thought it sounded pretty good given that it was completely original. The tube/transistor hybrids shouldn't be discounted. Their preamps and driver stages are all tube - only their output stage is transistorized. When paired with their original speakers they have a very warm tube sound. The only difference I noted was that their bass wasn't quite as punchy as the all tube Fisher consoles I've heard. However, the difference was slight and may have more to do with other factors such as speakers and source material.

Fisher introduced the "transistorized series" in 1964 on the upper half of their model lineup. In '65 and '66 the lowly Philharmonic was the lone all-tube model. It's my understanding that Fisher went all transistor in 1967 and at that point my interest wanes.

If you can get one cheap and in good condition you might be surprised at how good they sound. One thing to consider, however, is the availability of replacement transistors - tubes are, by far, much easier to come by.

Looks like I found one....

003.jpg

attachment.php

A complete Allegro or Allegro II, including accompanying record shelf. ...:banana::banana::banana:

HomerJSimpson found it, but it's fallen to me. (Thanks Homes!)

Not cheap, but not bad either. Fellow's promised to hold it for me :smoke: until this weekend. I may have to keep this one intact, although it might be interesting to update the speakers somehow. Fellow has it listed as an A-190/FM-190/Garrard model 50.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a single ended EL84 set up. Seller has all the tubes :)banana: Tele's? Mullards? Amperexes???...:banana:)

It really looks unmolested....:yes:

Hope I'm not slitting my own karmic throat here, but he seemed to agree with me that it deserved a complete restore. I'm betting he's a man of his word....:thmbsp:

Anyone know anything more, or can tell year and specific model from the pix?

I'm pretty excited about this one.....:banana:

Back
Top Bottom