Fisher Consolette 610 with companion 560

Greg Nal

Audio Wizard Wannabe
Subscriber
I posted this on the Tube forum and was directed here for more/better info. I picked this up off epay and was the only bidder at $125. I got the consolette with companion speaker and a bonus cabinet in the middle to hold records and stuff. All three sit on a wooden base, though I thought about ditching the middle and adding some mid-century modern legs to the two Fisher pieces as in their catalog.

I have not dug into the equipment but the pieces are in dusty but good shape. Twin 30A amps, a 610 ST pre/tuner and a Garrard turntable, not sure the model.

Open to any suggestions for cleaning this up for preservation and to get it back to original/better than original shape.

PS: more pic on the post on the Tube forum if you're interested. Thanks!

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 56
  • tuner pre.jpg
    tuner pre.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 51
  • tuner turntable.jpg
    tuner turntable.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 51
Nice grab !!

Don't turn on the unit yet. Damage could occur. Wait for the gurus to see your post. They will recommend some things you can do.

Not planning on powering it up before a once over. Pretty excited though. There has been some attention paid as I saw Sovtek tubes and a new can cap on the one amp I could get a look at.

Actually what you have is a 610 Tuner / preamp/ 1 channel AMP with 2nd channel preamp, and a Companion Speaker Model 560A with a 30000 series 30A amp. There should be a 12 ft RCA cable between the 610 and the 560. Both have 3 8" Full range spkrs in parallel for 2.5ohms. The 610 has a 2.5ohm transformer while the 30a Amp has a 4-8-16ohm amp. Suggest you check the 30A and determine what ohms it's connected to. Connect it for 4 ohms. This will give you best match.

The 610 Consolette should have a RC-120 or 121 Garrard Turntable. The difference btwn the two is a removable headshell on the 121. The headshell on the 120 is NOT REMOVABLE.

With the el-84's it's good for about 14WPC. They both are easy to recap, and retube.

Fantastic, Larry. Thanks for the thorough review of systems here. Wasn't aware the 610 had an onboard amp-makes sense. Is the ST for stereo or will I need an outboard MPX to create that? I didn't see any cables connecting the pieces but they could be hiding inside somewhere. Should I work with the speakers as received or shoot for sneaking in something different behind the speaker cloth?

The ST meaning Stereo for the Phonograph. The cartridge is most likely a SonoTone 8b with a dried out suspension (if the sound is junky or weak). As it's a ceramic cartridge, you'll probably need a new cart. Look on the dial at the selector knob. You'll see either a circle (meaning Mono) or a TRIANGLE (meaning Stereo) on both the Phoo and FM selections. FM -FM stereo required 2 tuners (usually set for 2 different stations playing simulcast.) The Manuals are on the www.FISHERCONSOLES.com site under the 1959 or 60 Model 510/610 consolette. Both Owners and Service manuals are included. Also get the 1960 Custom Electra III manual. It has the MPX setup, which you can use to convert yours to MULTIPLEX stereo compatibility. The 1960 Custom Electra III (model 440) is the same chassis' in one cabinet. It has capability for Multiplex stereo by way of an external MPX'er. I converted my 510/610(I have both chassis's) to that standard. 3 RCA Jacks and some wire and you can connect an external multiplexer. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/610-consolette-chassis-overhaul.547187/ and THERED1's Explanation of the selector setup.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fisher-610-consolette-with-companion-speaker.254422/#post-3747808

WOW. Such an amazing and resourceful group. Got my marching orders, will check back in as I go along. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom