Fisher Equipment/ Studio Standard

gyusher

-don't go round hungry-
I am old enough to remember when Fisher had as good a name as could be had for audio with their tube gear and audio gear during the 50s and 60s. . . Along came Fisher junk during the 70s. I do not know the reasons, maybe someone here can fill in the gaps, but during the 70s and maybe earlier there was a Fisher line similiar to Yorxs of today or some other nar do well that I cant call by name at the moment. These Fishers left a bad taste in everyones mouth that I knew and became a product to avoid. I remember many saying that they were using their good name to sell JUNK. . . Well along came the Studio Standard series. At first everyone I knew avoided them because of their experience with the earlier crap. One friend of mine bought a 100wpc Fisher Studio Standard 4x100 I think, was a long time ago, against my advice. We both bought receivers at the same time along with new speakers built by a friend of mine (Sound Source SS-411s) I bought a 75wpc Kenwood and he bought this Fisher that I was sure was junk. I do remember thinking how heavy this guy was as we carried them out the door. Point is he still has that receiver today and it has had daily use ever since, my Kenwood long ago bit the dust. I wonder just how far Fisher would have gone if they, for whatever reason, had not had the junk line. I know many that would not give the new better series a chance solely because of the bad name they had selling the junk.
Maybe someone here can fill in the blanks for me here. What I am speaking of is from my perspective only from what limited knowledge I had at the time.

From a marketeer perspective it is somewhat different. During Fisher's tube era, it was a company that marketed to the upper crust martini crowd and up and comers. It was not a company that marketed to the masses. McIntosh was the same as was Marantz. Actually an interesting study to see what hapens to companies when the national profile and distribution of disposable income changes.

With the introduction of ss, the 1st 2 generation Fishers were marketed the same way and production started to drop since other companies could competitively produce as good a product. Fisher had lost its position not b/c it was producing an inferior quality product but b/c others could produce similar quality. At this time circuits were simple and few and far between in real difference. Avery realized he had to redirect the company into mainstream or continue to lose market share and ultimately the company would not be profitable and he'd go broke. The 3rd gen units were his attempt to go more mainstream and with it he lost the high end market niche, or gave it up. About this time the Japanese were looking for a US presence and were willing to break the bank to get it. He saw an oppurtunity to get out with his skin in tack and realizing it was a matter of time b/f the less better capitalized and modern production in the US would be taken over or forced out. He opted to sell and walked away a rich person. The other US companies resisted and AFAIK no other owner walked away with anything like Avery did until the McIntosh family sold out.

Fisher had to move its markerting downstream which proved difficult for Avery to do and while the Japanese had no hangups, they found that Fisher was presumed to be 1) only for the rich 2) not for those who were anti-establishment (read hippies, college group, etc.) since it was identified with the establishment 3) pricing was still higher than the new imports 4) Its receivers, like so many other US companies at the time, were being made smaller and lacking frills on other units.

Fisher's CA-880 and CA-800 integrated amps ran into the 80s (may have even started in the 80s, I don't have a production dates on them) were nice looking amps. I have been thinking of buying one for the series just because of the cosmetics, black, VU meters, looks darn nice. Other than that there were not too many standouts.

Actually construction quality took quite a while to fall off for the Fishers in the 80s. I picked up some tiny CA-65 integrated to hook up to my one computer dirt cheap at the thrift store that was actually built relatively well, hooked up to a pair of Infinity speakers it sounds quite good.

As far as their better receivers, the RS-1058, 1060 and 1080 are all fine pieces of equipment I am proud to own. I would buy every 1060 I could find, it is that good. 1080s are just so hard to come by (took almost two years to find one for me) and so big and heavy (anything over 70lbs is pushing practical limits), if I could find them and find somewhere to put them same goes for them I would buy that thing again. Never heard FM stereo seperation that good with anything else I have tried.

I am sure Fisher carries a bit of stigma for many reasons, besides selling out to Sanyo, they marketed special versions of receivers for Sears (BTW there is an absolutely amazing receiver that was marketed for Sears Canada, not by Fisher but that was one heck of an awesome receiver anyone remember this thing besides me? One turned up at the overpriced goodwill a few years ago here but I was not about to spend the money they wanted, though someone did. There was one on ebay a while back). Sellout to Sanyo, mass marketing of lower end stuff, all probably played a roll. It does not mean that the Studio Standard stuff was not as good or better than the competitors, just suffered from that stigma. As long as you stick with the better models there is not much you can do to screw up.

First Fisher

I saw my first Fisher HiFi in 1964. . . A tube model, MONO, with a big JBL under it and a turntable that was it but I will never forget that sound. . . My Boss owned it and he was a strange man, still is. Then the one my friend bought in 1980 when I bought my Kenwood, that one has been used daily everyday since. . . Never touched period. I talked with him on the phone last week and I asked him whatever happened to that receiver. . . Thus the post about it. I just bought a "Studio Standard Tuner" model 120 or some such. . . I havnt received it yet but it was described as mint, never used etc. I do not think this one is much higher up the food chain than an electric tooth brush or clock radio but it is gorgeous to look at. . .12.50, cant go to far wrong. . .

Actually just saw a Studio Standard Model 120 tuner at the thrift store this past week, was pretty dirty and they wanted $20 for it so I passed. Was quite heavy (may have weighed more than my Marantz Model 2060ML) for a small tuner and looked pretty nice. Had nothing to hook it up to to test its sound but on the other hand it got some stations without an antenna based on the signal strength meters. In good condition it would look quite nice.

Tuner

I should have this tuner tomorrow or Tuesday latest. I am anxious to try it out. Also I am waiting to see if I win a KW KT-6007 one of our AK members has on eBay. . . I know that one, it does sound great. Lots more to a tuner than receiving the signal, lots do that well but not so many sound good doing it.

LOL I think JVC sucks. Every time I have had ANYTHING by them it has bitten the dust. Maybe somebody else has better luck with them but I would just leave them alone

JVC???

The absolute best integrated amp I ever had was a 90wpc JVC made around 1980-82 period. Big toroid power supply and more balls than it should have. I used it to drive my JBL L-112s for a time back then, forgot the model long ago but if I could find it I would buy it again. . . I do agree about later JVC receivers however. I had a pair of Paridigm monitor 11s I think that would shut a JVc receiver down in short order, regular Sonys same thing. . . I had a Sony ES receiver that would drive them and several HK units that they likes. I tried about 4 different JVC ProLogic receivers and they couldnt handle the Paradigms. . .

The thing that had me curious about that little Model 120 tuner was its weight. I don't know how far up the line this was in the Fisher tuners. There was a big looking Fisher tuner on ebay someone was trying to pawn off at a rather expensive price that looked like it had the multipath meter like the RS-1080. Do a completed item search it might still turn up. I can't really comment on their standalones but the receivers themselves seem to do a decent job higher up the line. They all have shields around the tuning caps, though the 1058 appears to use a 4 gang, the 1060 I can't determine, the 1080 was an 8 gang according to the advertisements and had the multipath meter. The 1060 is very close in design to the 1080, same general layout, smaller tranny and caps, and lacking dolby, so its hard to say. The 1060 has a remarkable tuner in its own right. Depens on what you gauge performance on. If you are looking for distance reception, sound quality or both. As for distance that Olson RA-250 receiver I have beats almost anything out there. Then the 1080, 1060, MCS 3125. As far as sound quality, RS-1080, MCS 3125 and RS-1060 in that order are the top three. The Olson is almost overly sensitive, does a good job of getting a stereo station but it's power and the rest of it is not of the class of these other receivers. The RS-1080 is pretty close to matching the Olson's distance which I use as the reference for distance reception. There are differences in just using them you have to get used to the MCS sort of centers and locks the station itself, has a digital readout but is an analog tuner. The RS-1080, you set the station, the multipath drops closer to 0 the better you have it (nothing really tall here to cause much multipath distortion where I live anyway), the seperation is just astounding, until you have heard it you have not heard anything like it. Also has a remarkably good phono preamp, was playing around with the LPs yesterday and my Rat Shack linear tracking turntable, its up there in performance. I never tried the RS-1060's or 1058s phono stage (I just got the turntable I plan to use with the one 1060 within the past few weeks, and have yet to give it a good examination). The better stuff though seems constructed quite well, even this puny CA-65 integrated amp here.

Cadillac

That Fisher you linked is a Cadillac. . . I wouldnt mind owning it. Similar to my tube type Allied receiver I sold last month. If that Fisher sounds as good (I am sure it is much better) then it would be a keeper. . . BTW I dont care about DXing only good sound from strong signals. Here in Columbus, Ohio there is no shortage of stations, I never counted them. . . Maybe I will start tonight. . .

Another pic

This is another one I found on AudioGon listed for 75 bucks. . . I paid 12.50 for mine after the auction ended. . . no bidders. . .

And another one

Seems they are everywhere. . . Here is another one I found on some other sale site. . . Even found where toasted almond was discussing it. . .

Originally posted by yrly
...the 1058 appears to use a 4 gang, the 1060 I can't determine, the 1080 was an 8 gang according to the advertisements and had the multipath meter. The 1060 is very close in design to the 1080, same general layout, smaller tranny and caps, and lacking dolby, so its hard to say. The 1060 has a remarkable tuner in its own right.

yrly, according to the service manual for the 1060/1080 I just put in the mail to you on Friday, the 1060 tuner has the same exact specs as the 1080. Only difference between the 1060 and 1080 I could identify in the entire manual was the power supply and amp designs.

That would explain some stuff. Performance differences in tuning could just be attributable to the antenna used then and location (both the 1060s are here closer to the city than the 1080). Stereo seperation difference I can't really explain though it might be in the amp stage. Almost all the boards in a 1060 are covered with metal shields, in the 1080 the one board that is covered in a 1060 and the dolby board are exposed (the dolby board can be identified by the chips, and it sits in a part that is empty in a 1060). Gauging differences with the covered boards is not so easy. Both the receivers have the same output transistors, I think they are 2SB600 and 2SD755. Quite big, especially to put in the 1060 at the 125wpc power class. If I remember right these are something like 250w 16 amp rated transistors two pairs per channel offers quite a bit of potential. The tranny is about twice as big in a 1080, caps are 15000uf in the 1060, 22000uf in the 1080. The 1060 is no slouch in any catagory, if in fact it has the 8 gang tuning cap, thats about twice what most of the receivers in the power class offered. It certainly has bigger rated output transistors, a very big transformer. It weighs more than any I can think of in that class (57lbs). Its max power draw sits at 800 watts, which is about 200 more than most of the highest of the class. How this thing only cost $700 in its day in comparison to say the 9090DB running $900 is quite amazing. If you ever are to try one you will see what I mean. I have come up with a theory on how they might have done it too, overall it uses most of the same stuff as a 1080 (case, outputs, etc.). This may have been a cost cutting strategy that went right. They probably used the 1080 design and stripped it down a notch rather than build a seperate receiver from the ground up. Likely saved in R&D costs, kept the price lower as they used similar parts and still offered a more than competitive product. Probably was cheaper to make that way, and ended up being a surprisingly good receiver. I still don't see how it fits in the class either. I have owned quite a few receivers of this power level, I currently have the Sansui 990DB, I had the Marantz 2325, and the MCS 3125. As far as power output it is easily more powerful than those (though I still think the MCS 3125 is the cleanest sounding). Actually it even seems more powerful than the Project One Mark 1500. I seriously wonder why you don't see many around for sale, there probably were quite a few made, mine were seperated by a single model year and have about 12,000 between them in serial numbers. The way I look at it, I can't see anyone wanting to get rid of one after owning it if they were looking for something in that class. After using one for better than a year and getting another I certainly can't see parting ways with either. I would more likely sell my 990DB. I can't think of many other receivers I would go buy over and over again either. I hope some of these surface so some other people have the opportunity to try this thing. Like the MCS 3125 word will probably eventually get out that the TOTL Fisher receivers were indeed some of the better pieces of gear around, then they won't be that affordable deal like it once was. I am sure some here probably wonder why I am so adamant about what I say about these big Fishers, I have no other reason other than that these are amazing receivers that no one seems to have much knowledge about. I have stacks of receivers and am going out looking for these, there must be some reason.

120????????

I got this FM-120 today. . . It is like brand new but the stereo doesnt work???? Great reception and great AM section. . . This is a very nice looking little cheap tuner 180.00 MSRP. . . Neat looking 2 or 3 gang pretty basic. . .wish stereo worked, might be a way to adjust it but beyond me how to do it or where to start. I am only in it 12.50 so I could experiment if I knew where to start??? Any ideas???

Pretty much depends on the time of year, the time of day, and how excited the bidders get.

A nice RS-1080, in excellent condition, assuming the bidding is fairly honest, somewhere between $200-300, give or take. An RS-1060, a little less.

If you are patient you should be able to get an RS-1060 for about $100-125. The last couple got run up a tad more than their condition should have warranted.

Most of the RS-1080s I have seen are not too spectacular from a cosmetic standpoint and/or are from sellers who did not look like they have handled much audio equipment. Its especially risky because the thing weighs so darn much. Figure to pay $200-250 (plus another $60 shipping).

Back
Top Bottom