Fisher Factory Photographs

jonboy55

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Here are 3 photographs from inside the Fisher factory.

1. Assemby line - can anyone identify the chassis(s)?

2. Factory - can anyone identify the cabinet models?

3. Testing lab

Hint - these photographs were taken in 1950/1951.

Attachments

• fisher assembly line.jpg
    fisher assembly line.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 392
  • fisher factory.jpg
    fisher factory.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 374
  • fisher testing lab.jpg
    fisher testing lab.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 370
What a cool game.
Great photos.
These are kind of before my time of interest so no ID on the chassis or cabinet model.

1.) Possibly the R1-R2-R3 chassis in Front of the barrier. Judging from the layout on the back of the chassis. It's on it's left side.

2.) Georgian's (DARK) and Allegro's (light).

3.) The desk weenie in front is doing the New York Times Cross-word.

1.) Possibly the R1-R2-R3 chassis in Front of the barrier. Judging from the layout on the back of the chassis. It's on it's left side.

2.) Georgian's (DARK) and Allegro's (light).

3.) The desk weenie in front is doing the New York Times Cross-word.

If I've got the era correct, the desk weenie might be ordering his "do-it-yourself" bomb shelter.

Interesting seeing the drafting tables we still had those when I was in high school
late 60's instead of PC workstations .

Very cool. I bet Joel27 could ID those chassis in photo #1. The umbilical is a giveaway:

attachment.php

You guys beat me to it. I knew immediately what the chassis where for. Cool photos, thanks for posting them.

Last edited:
Very cool photos - thanks!

Is the gaffer standing Mr Fisher inspecting the works?

Last edited:
Are those the largest pics you have, or do you have some higher resolution?

The photographs are original that originated from the Fisher facility in Long Island City.

I think they were scanned at 300 dpi.

I'll make up higher resolution scans in the next day or so.

Some more photographs from the same source.

1. Fisher S-60 chassis
2. Fisher 24-B anniversary model top
3. Fisher 24-B anniversary model bottom
4. Fisher Coronet R-3 chassis

I'll have better scans in a few days.

Attachments

• model s60 chassis.jpg
    model s60 chassis.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 139
  • model 24b anniversary model.jpg
    model 24b anniversary model.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 547
  • model 24b anniversary bottom view.jpg
    model 24b anniversary bottom view.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 127
  • coronet model r3 chassis.jpg
    coronet model r3 chassis.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 139
Great pictures. That 24B is an interesting setup, few different tuning options there. I haven't seen that one before.

The S-60 rig sure looks familiar.

Still had 'em when I was taking Engineering Graphics as a freshman in college in '66.

And they still had them in the mid-70s, in my high school drafting class. Of course, that was an old school, with old furniture, so they seemed just fine. :yes:

You can really see the continuity between the late Philharmonic chassis and the early Fisher chassis. I think the 24 series (24/24A/24B) was Fisher's second generation of chassis. There was an earlier 'S' series which must be extraordinarily rare. I remember seeing a Fisher SA-1 up for sale years ago that had the same knob configuration as my K-1. In fact, that's how I was able to recognize my Philharmonic as pre-war model.

Jon, you wouldn't happen to have a photo of an 'S' or a 'SA', would you?

attachment.php

K1AMTunerChassisFront.jpg

K1ChassisCompleteTop.jpg

Little Known Fisher Fact: Avery Fisher originally emphasized the absence of SW in the Philharmonic as an indication of his focus on high fidelity. He argued that a radio that only did one thing - i.e.: receive the wide-bandwidth, WQXR-flavored audio goodness of the late 30s and early 40s - would do that one thing better than a radio which tried to do a little of everything. From that perspective, the '24' would seem to be a bit of a sell-out.

In fairness, to Mr. Fisher, though, broadcasting underwent some huge changes during and immediately after WWII. Really, he was just covering as many bets as he could in the face of an uncertain broadcasting future.

Back
Top Bottom