fisher fm 1000 review

I have one of these and I can say that with carefully selected tubes, modern film caps in the signal path and a proper multiplex calibration the numbers in the review can be exceeded by far. Stereo separation can exceed 30 Db and distortion in stereo way below 1%, no problem. These are well designed and built tuners. The basic circuit design was copied by most, the dual nuvistor front end is very nice but finding good nuvistors is a chore. The FM200B is very close but the 1000 has a nicer faceplate design.

Ron-C

Hi there. Do your comments mean that you have done this work on your FM1000? Was it the Fisherdoc kit, by any chance?

I have one too, never touched, and am curious about bringing it back "on line".

Frank,

I ordered new jewels from the Fisher Doc. The rest of the parts such as new caps, one new nuvistor socket came from ARS in Az. The tubes come from a variety of sources. The nuvistors are important as is cleaning tube pins and the normal stuff. the meter lamps were out in mine and I uses some small grain of wheat bulbs on top of the meters with a tinfoil hood. Too risky to open the meter to change a bulb.
The internal resistors are high quality German made parts. I changed all of the small caps to new due to age. You will get to practice soldering in tight places. Use solder wick and silver solder for the new parts.
Power supply caps should be changed to new and you will be rewarded with a hum free unit. Separation is a matter of adjustment on the multiplex board and Fisher sets this too narrow in my opinion.

Ron-C

I did a minor update on a FM1000 that had been unpacked about a year ago (Avery Fisher's grandson), he has several more still sealed. The caps used in the 1000 are a better grade than the 200, all it needed was one filter can, relay cleaned and a selenium bridge changed to silicon, also added a soft start thermistor, it had 1.2uV sensitivity for 3% THD, 35 dB of seperation, and less than 1% THD in stereo, sounded very nice after a minor tweaking....

Back
Top Bottom