Fisher Futura IV automatic shutoff issue

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Travis G., Nov 4, 2017.

1. Travis G.

Travis G. Active Member

It seems as if the automatic shutoff switch on my FIsher Futura IV console isn't working properly. I ordinarily keep it set to 'off,' so it just keeps running after an LP side ends, but now it won't work unless auto shutoff is set to 'on.' The knob actually has three settings -- off, normal and on -- but there are only two stops when you turn the knob, presumably off and on. I typically use the volume knob/AC off switch to power up and power down, but I've found my wife tends to use the auto shutoff for that.

I removed the turntable (Garrard Type A MKII) today for a re-lube, etc, and to retrieve the short spindle the fell beneath it months ago, and the 680A amp doesn't turn on at all with it unplugged. That may be normal -- I've never pulled the TT before (and it was a real pain to do!) -- and unrelated to the auto shutoff issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions/solutions while it's partially disassembled. Thanks!

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Locate the phono wiring on the schematic. On the 9 pin Molex on the preamp/tuner, Pins 5 and 7 are what you want to short together at the auto switch. This bypasses the Auto shut off. The Auto Shutoff only has 2 positions Normal (off) and Automatic(ON). Leave the switch in the OFF POSITION. Trace the wiring to and from the Auto Shutoff switch to determine which two are to pins 5 and 7. The other wire goes to pin 3 for the auto shut off. Short Pins 5 and 7 at the switch, which will leave you with the Main pwr switch working. Sounds like the auto shut off switch went bad. Pull it out and meter the pins in off and on.

3. Travis G.

Travis G. Active Member

Thanks for the diagnosis and possible solution, larry. That actually does make sense to me, but it's probably beyond my skill range. I'll see if I can get a tech I know to try that for me.

4. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

The switch is a SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) switch. You COULD just replace it with a toggle switch with the same ratings. Home Depot or Lowes should have them, if you're not too worried about looks at this point, then look for a beater console that has a switch and replace with the correct switch at that point. .