Fisher Futura V Request Input

PJP122954

Hello all...I'm new to this forum and have found lots of excellent information. My question....I recently purchased a 1964 Futura Modern console cabinet that sill contains the original speakers. The turntable, the 690T and 690A chasis have been pilfered already. The cabinet is in pristine mint condition. I love the MCM cabinet style and originally purchased it to retro-fit with my vintage Pioneer receiver, new Elac speakers and iPad for streaming music. I'm not so sure now. After reading all the posts it appears the Fisher hybrid amp and receiver was a pretty good performer. Do you think I should hunt down original components and restore to original configuration or continue with my plans? I'm wanting audiophile quality in my sound and not necessarily just the vintage aspect. Can that particular amp/receiver combo compete with what I was planning to install? Thanks in advance for you opinions.

You could stuff it with components that you already have while trying to find original components. Most likely console cabinet will influence sound from any speakers fitted inside. I'd probably try your pioneer with console speakers first.

Do you plan on using a turntable? If not, the turntable area would be more amenable to fitting the PIONEER (What model SX????) and then fitting the IPAD in a custom mount where the 690T fit. Reason I said that is that the Tuner was vertically oriented and the Fisher consoles from this era with Vertical Tuners require some serious woodwork to fit in a 70's Receiver, or Tuner/Integrated. You may have to gut the operating area, andmake a new baffle plate to handle the PIONEER and the IPAD, and other ancillary gear.

The speakers are probably Jensens, although you can take a picture of them and we can tell whether Jensen's or In House Made by FISHER.

The 690T/A combo while a Hybrid sounds quite decent, however I wouldn't classify it as "Audiophile quality". The Pioneer is a more articulate unit, however it may not sound good with the speakers currently in the cabinet. Everyone's ears are different, so suggest you connect the SX-??? to the speakers and have a listen. If you like it, move on with the conversion. If not, find some other drivers to install in the cabinet.

I might be more inclined to fit a Fisher console tube tuner/preamp and whatever power amp makes sense. The tuners need a power supply since they originally ran from the amplifier, but as such they're pretty cheap. Mount the tuner where it goes, and you could run any ~30w power amp down underneath. It would look stock and perform well. The power supply would be the hardest part, but not the end of the world.

Pristine '64 Fisher Futura cabinet. Gutted except for speakers. I was planning to install new components but then decided to restore. It's difficult to locate 690T/690A hybrid tuner and amp. I've been outbid several times on eBay. I have my Pioneer tuner, Polk sub, iPad, HK blue tooth and Elac speakers piggybacked with the Fisher speakers and it sounds pretty darn good. Will probably leave it this way unless some Fisher components fall into my lap. i absolutely love the MCM design of the cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom